Logo by visual - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 09:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 1D fractal plottings  (Read 580 times)
Description: Fractal curves of 1D Kaliset and Mandelbox-like formulas.
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »

I was playing with the graph plotter included in Fragmentarium, and I recalled what I did with 1D Mandelbrot formula to produce fractal waves, that I later converted to sound (it sounded like wind gusts, pretty interesting). So I wanted to try some other formulas in 1D to see how their plots are...

In the formula section of Syntopia's code, I included a iteration loop and I started with Kaliset formula, that I translated to 1D this way:

f(x)=1/abs(x)+c

Then I added scaling and the 1D analogues of ballfold and boxfold as optional folding modes, to plot the standard Mandelbox or Kaliset/Mandelbox hybrids.
I also included the option for plotting the median of the values and exponential smoothing, wich I use as coloring method in most of my 2D images, and I added an Y-Axis zoom scale slider that is useful to adjust the display of the data.

Some images: 

Kaliset Julia - Final value

Kaliset Julia - Exp. Smoothing

Kaliset+"Boxfold" Mandelbrot - Exp. Smoothing

Kaliset+"Ballfold" Julia - Final Value

Mandelbox scale -1.5 - Final Value

Mandelbox scale -1.5 - Exp.Smoothing

Mandelbox Julia - Exp.Smoothing

Sorry for the boring images  grin - It's more interesting when you adjust the params and watch the plot changing in realtime.

Well, I made this just out of curiosity, but who knows, some parts of the plots are pretty much like soundwaves, maybe I'll try again with my VB.NET code to produce .wav files and listen how it sounds  whistling and rolling eyes.

huminado
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

these remind me of Tune Smithy.
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »

Sorry for the boring images

it's not boring at all, i really like this  grin

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »

thos pictures reveal interesting properties, some are mirrored at the x axis, some truly have chaotic characteristic, i dont know what mister mandelbrot would say, but somehow those
1d plots should be used to classify the fractals, e.g. the "Mandelbox Julia - Exp.Smoothing" shows straight lines, whereas "Mandelbox scale -1.5 - Final Value" shows more "chaos"...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »

I posted some similar things on here a while ago, i used the regular Mandelbrot / Julia formula though, most are just the real axis of the regular Mandelbrot set, or of various Julia sets....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbXvWakB_AY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FbXvWakB_AY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »

these remind me of Tune Smithy.

I searched the web for that program after reading your post, looks interesting.

it's not boring at all, i really like this 

Thanks smiley

I posted some similar things on here a while ago, i used the regular Mandelbrot / Julia formula though, most are just the real axis of the regular Mandelbrot set, or of various Julia sets....

I missed that, nice sounds! The sounds I generated are in this post: http://www.fractalforums.com/new-theories-and-research/sound-wave-generation-from-1d-mandelbrot-formula/?PHPSESSID=e42b9487ecf46e070e1a3d43d947fc92
But yours are definitely better wink

thos pictures reveal interesting properties, some are mirrored at the x axis, some truly have chaotic characteristic, i dont know what mister mandelbrot would say, but somehow those
1d plots should be used to classify the fractals, e.g. the "Mandelbox Julia - Exp.Smoothing" shows straight lines, whereas "Mandelbox scale -1.5 - Final Value" shows more "chaos"...

Yes, most are mirrored, except the boxfolded julias, just like happens with the 2d/3d versions. And final values plottings are always more chaotic as they are the result of the iterated function.  Exp.smoothing is statistical data based on how the values change during the iteration, so a less chaotic behavior is expected. But you are right, maybe there are some other interesting properties that can be deduced with this plots. I just posted a few, but a great variety of results can be obtained.

This is a close-up of a regular scale 2 mandelbox, exponential smoothing plotting:

Note the self-similarity of the waves, and the gap at x=1, that I guess it corresponds to the highlited area in the picture below:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:37:25 PM by Kali » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: