Logo by Tglad - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 11:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Folding, IFS, raytracing and continuity  (Read 652 times)
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« on: November 03, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »

This problem obsesses me from a long time and I really cannot see a solution in the horizon. cry

Let's talk about this formula;

Code:
sierpinski3(x,y,z){
   r=x*x+y*y+z*z;
   for(i=0;i<10 && r<bailout;i++){
      rotate1(x,y,z);

if(x+y<0){x1=-y;y=-x;x=x1;}
      if(x+z<0){x1=-z;z=-x;x=x1;}
      if(y+z<0){y1=-z;z=-y;y=y1;}

// rotate2(x,y,z); simplify the formula discarding rotations

x=scale*x-(scale-1);
      y=scale*y-(scale-1);
      z=scale*z-(scale-1);
      r=x*x+y*y+z*z;
   }
   return (sqrt(r)-2)*scale^(-i);//the estimated distance
}

Discard the bells and whistles and talk about the folding.

if(x+y<0){x1=-y;y=-x;x=x1;}
      if(x+z<0){x1=-z;z=-x;x=x1;}
      if(y+z<0){y1=-z;z=-y;y=y1;}

This folds with continuity the 3D space.
Sierpinski pyramid is a 3D symmetric solid fractal. It has a constant scale for all his transforms and all transforms are linear. Plus rotation is costantly zero.

With all those simplifications we can raytrace the fractal with a surprisingly elegant formula and without using any special flag (except for the scale correction *scale^(-i) ). The variables x,y,z are and stay continuous even after the folding.

The problem is; is it possible to write a continuous transformation for x,y,z, without using additional memory flags or techniques, for non symmetrical or differently symmetrical IFS? For example, can anybody write a simple formula for the Dragon curve in 2D without using any flag, without branch cuts or creating discontinuity in the x,y,z vector field? cheesy The mystery continues... undecided

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: