Logo by yv3 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 06:45:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Octopussies' Garden  (Read 2199 times)
Description: My first proper Mandelbulb3D fractal video
kameelian
Iterator

« on: June 29, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »

Hi folks,

I put this vid in the Mandelbulb3D section, but it seems it really should have been put here, so I've reposted the link to it.

This is my first attempt at doing anything longer than a few 'test' seconds.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/91VI2voSwkw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/91VI2voSwkw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Yeah, there are a few glitches and the odd slice into the structures, but I've spent so long on it that I just wanted to get some feedback.

The Soundscape is an original piece from ages ago; it kinda fits but isn't synced to the video.

Hope you like

cheers
kam

Mandelbulb3D - Like Christmas Every morning wink
JodyVL
Safarist

Everybody's a fool but whose fool are you?

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:33 AM »

I loooove this!  love

Please explain how you made it so that I can do one of my own, and maybe even make a tutorial for it on my blog grin

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
JodyVL
Safarist

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 01:58:51 AM »

[MOD: Everyone, ignore this please. It was meant for a different thread. Only keeping it hear so that below comments make sense. *really embarrassed* ]

Ok so I couldn't wait and installed it on the computer here at work. Really liking it so far smiley ... Some of the images produced are BEAUtiful.

The only issue I had so far was when I tried to create a video, the program got stuck. It doesn't render, and then exits with an error message I couldn't understand (PC at work is in Portuguese tongue stuck out) but your program told me it wasn't able to write to file and I should check permissions or something. But this may be specific to this PC though, I'll try again at home.

And of course it would be really nice if one could navigate in render mode cheesy ...

I'd be so proud of myself if I had created a program like this, so congrats! I envy you smiley

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:57:09 PM by JodyVL » Logged

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:23:32 AM »

awesome video, as an unwritten rule, for posting videos i like it very much if refered back to the forums wink

back to the vid

hammer, i love, or somehow find interesting and scary, but they produce amacing effects when thinking of faces, i mean the "big eyed" black hole structures - really great!

second is: you certainly use "linear" interpolation on all your keyframes, resulting in the harsch movement pathes of either camera or deformation of object
but be warned, changing interpolation also changes result wink

camera path in general is amazing, very interesting detailed structures that are visited in combination with parameter morphes

i dunno if camera should move when object is morphing or not....

great variety of structures!

A Beer Cup
Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
kameelian
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »

Hi cKleinhuis,

thanks for the comments.

I note your reference to 'linear' interpolation and can state with some certainty
that I only have only ever tried linear once and could not tell the difference and
so I continue to use Quadratic Bezier - even though I don't even know what it
does or the reason why. So it is odd indeed. What are the benefits of either?

As for the the "big eyed, black hole structures": my working title that part was the
Skull Caverns - as I got that kind of feel too.

And yeah, I think something can be missed if the camera moves during morphing
- hence my stopping at the 'totems' - but I did it because I was learning that I could (!)

JodyVL - It sounds like you have technical problems. However, it would not be
unusual for a works computer to not give you sufficient administrator permissions.
We can't put anything at all on ours. If you still get problems at home, perhaps
you need to contact jesse or the FF team. It's not my baby.

Well done on your tutorial by the way. I didn't find this when I was totally new.

I have been working on a brief 'tips' section in order to 'give back' something.
Haven't yet been so bold as to finish and post it. I AM still a newbie after all.

cheers
Kam

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »

Interpolation is a huge field for you to keep it simple linear interpolation makes sharp changes in speed and direction on each keyframe but every keyframe is fully visited

whereas the bezier int does smooth transition of values, but the keyframes arent met any more nevertheless i would state that linear interpolation is just suitable for test renderinfs smiley

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »

Hi Kam,

That's really a great video, in the same spirit as "Like in a dream II", but maybe richer and better, congratulations smiley

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bKknJvZIn24&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bKknJvZIn24&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

To avoid running into objects you should carefully use the render preview function. This is often due to Bezier interpolation of course. So the trick to make sure important keyframes get visited is to duplicate them and put only 1 intermediate frame between the 2.

Keep up with the good work!

bib
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:38:11 AM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
kameelian
Iterator

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »

bib - "richer and better" ?

Hmm, I don't think so. But thanks all the same. That's a huge compliment.
As I said to you when I discovered 'like in a dream ii' and it felt familiar to some of what I working on...
- you continue to be 'in my head' as your tip on getting "keyframes visited is to duplicate them and put only 1 intermediate frame between the 2"
Well, that is exactly what I have started doing (!) - and it appears as a "clumsy" tip in my soon-to-be-posted brief set of tips for newbies.
(maybe it was not so clumsy afteral).

And thanks cKleinhuis for the info on linear vs quadratic. I had no idea of that, but had noticed I wasn't getting all keyframes visited. Hence, it kind of
links to the above tip from bib.

It's all coming together, slowly.

I'm off work this week and guess what I'm mostly doing. where is the sun?

cheers
kam

public_v0id
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »

Nice and trippy smiley
Really like it.
Would love to see it with higher resolution and fps-rate.
JodyVL
Safarist

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 01:51:10 PM »

Oh noooo... lol! DAMN. I'm so sorry everyone. Talk about embarrasment.  embarrass I posted the above message (the second one) in the wrong thread! It was meant for the thread of the release of yFract, here:

http://www.fractalforums.com/announcements-and-news/yfract-1-0-0-released/msg33571/#msg33571

Damnit lol. Forgive me! (Wasn't anyone confused by my message?? tongue stuck out)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:55:16 PM by JodyVL » Logged

kameelian
Iterator

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »

"Wasn't anyone confused by my message??"

Well, I was...but my reply fits either way

hah!

cheers
Kam

kameelian
Iterator

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »

Hi public_v0id,

Thanks for your comments.

I will have to find somewhere for a higher res version.
I think the final fps is 29 but the subframes between keyframes varied from 10-200

cheers
Kam

Hypercube
Forums Freshman

www.sacredpatterns.com

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

I too was reminded of 'Like in a Dream' ... but better :-)

I love some of your theatrical light effects (though not the most obvious one where it strobes the colors for a few seconds)
and what appear to be distorting lenses or twisted spaces -
especially because you do not overuse these things.

I feel you have achieved a great balance between morphing and exploring.
I love the strange light creatures at the beginning.

Thanks for sharing ...

Whirreds are the Whorls of the Whirled
kameelian
Iterator

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 10:15:08 AM »

Thanks for the comments Hypercube.

"Theatrical light effects" ? I don't think I had that much say in what the lights did, really.
I know that it became difficult to match different parts - that is an area I need to fiddle with more
- and yeah, the flashing was a bit out of context but, for some reason after I''d tried it out, it wouldn't
easily go back to what it was before. bah(!) oh well.

glad you like it

cheers
Kam

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: