Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 28, 2024, 06:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Benoit Mandelbrot - Fractal Art Contest 2007 ???  (Read 11428 times)
doncasteel8587
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:18:14 PM »

The extended deadline for this contest was July 31st.

The homepage hasn't been updated since the announcement of the extension. http://www.fractalartcontests.com/2007/

Does anyone know when we will hear something huh?
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:45:53 AM »

The extended deadline for this contest was July 31st.  The homepage hasn't been
updated since the announcement of the extension.  Does anyone know when we
will hear something huh?

That all depends on way too many factors.  I have seen some of these contests drag on for a whole year while they attempted to get things together.

If there is money and sponsors involved, then most likely it will progress faster.  (They will then need to look more professional.)   grin  tongue stuck out

doncasteel8587
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »

Sigh....

(I entered this year  tongue stuck out)
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:14:54 AM »

A sponsor has been announced (Vodafone) and the selection of a sponsor was a key requirement in the final selection.  While it's not up to me, I suspect that the final selections will be made and announced before the end of the month.

Kerry
doncasteel8587
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:40:51 AM »

Thanks Kerry, that's good news!
eNZedBlue
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »

I entered this year too. Good to hear that the results will likely be announced soon.

From what I gathered from reading the rules of entry, the winners will have to produce higher-resolution versions of their images for display in the gallery (is this correct?), so I assume that they will have to announce who the winners are ASAP to give them time to produce the hi-fi versions.
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »

From what I gathered from reading the rules of entry, the winners will have to produce higher-resolution versions of their images for display in the gallery (is this correct?), so I assume that they will have to announce who the winners are ASAP to give them time to produce the hi-fi versions.

From what I remember, 12000 pixels on the long side is the desired resolution.

Kerry
eNZedBlue
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 01:43:25 PM »

Well, looks like they've made their selections. Congratulations to the winners!  smiley
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »

Yes, sponsorship was the holdup (I figured that was what it would be).    wink 
But now that real money is involved, everything should move rapidly along.

Though I was surprised that they even decided to have one this year, my sources said they were going to wait until next year.

lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 09:12:36 PM »

There's quite a heated discussion of the contest going on over at the Orbit Trap blog:

http://orbittrap.blogspot.com/

If you're interested in such things, I encourage you to read of the charges levied at the contest, its sponsors, organizers, and jurors, and express your own opinion here or there.  I'm obviously quite biased, having been involved with Ultra Fractal and the fractal art contest from the beginning.

Kerry
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »

i made the mistake of posting a reply there Sceptical it is of course true that townsend's winning submission is (sorry) ugly and has no self-similarity at all, but then again ken's comment about the pot calling the kettle black hit the nail on the head...

anyway, all of this arguing isn't worth the reading time i think.

eNZedBlue
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »

I had a look at the page of winning entries, and there were some great ones, but nothing particularly novel in my opinion. How many times can you re-colour Julia sets and flame fractals before it starts to get a bit stale? I guess this is more a criticism of the state of fractal art rather than the contest though.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »

that competition is in no way indicative of the state of fractal art, however. i like to think i'm doing new things in the field, and know / know of many others who are too. actually i hope to show some completely new novel 3d fractal rendering methods soon, the program is still in its infancy though...

actually this very subject cropped up recently with the apophysis 3d hacks. some of us have been quietly making 3d fractals with our own software for ages, but when someone hacks in a divide by z into apo everyone suddenly bricks themselves. more on that here: http://lyc.deviantart.com/journal/14330563/

eNZedBlue
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 02:47:37 PM »

that competition is in no way indicative of the state of fractal art, however. i like to think i'm doing new things in the field, and know / know of many others who are too. actually i hope to show some completely new novel 3d fractal rendering methods soon, the program is still in its infancy though...

actually this very subject cropped up recently with the apophysis 3d hacks. some of us have been quietly making 3d fractals with our own software for ages, but when someone hacks in a divide by z into apo everyone suddenly bricks themselves. more on that here: http://lyc.deviantart.com/journal/14330563/
Wow, those images are amazing!

I submitted a couple of 3D images to the contest, but tbh they weren't very "arty", more like tech screenshots. My other one was a continuously image-mapped Julia.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »

I submitted a couple of 3D images to the contest, but tbh they weren't very "arty", more like tech screenshots.

yeah i'm facing exactly that problem myself :| (my best 3d fractal rendering so far, "snow", is pretty bland; i hope to have something more "arty" up in a day or two. edit: http://lyc.deviantart.com/art/rise-64751071)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:24:21 AM by lycium » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: