Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 01:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 60 frames a second  (Read 2532 times)
bradorpoints
« on: May 18, 2007, 04:26:11 AM »

This is an experiment I had regarding fast frame rates.  This animation is almost 1.5 minutes and only 640x480, but is over 60 MB - if you click on it and let Media Player open it, the animation won't play until the whole thing is downloaded.  So in order to see a progress, right-mouse click on the link and choose "save target as.." (unless you are using non-Windows, you'll see something similar..)  Ultra Fractal 4 was used to generate this.

http://www.biocursion.com/anim/main_60.avi
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:13:05 PM »

Smooth!

And Pretty!

How are you compiling at 60 frames per second in wmv format?

My editor wont touch "non-standard" frame rates!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
bradorpoints
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:10:29 AM »

I rendered the animation as a sequence of JPEG images and then compiled it into the AVI using Virtual Dub.  There is a setting in Virtual Dub where you can set the frame rate: video \ frame rate (which produces the window shown below).  You may have issues depending on the codec, but it's been clean sailing for me.

If you have an insane CPU(s) - getting higher frames rates is possible.  60 fps is actually higher than needed to hit the "sweet spot", but it does produce an additional anti-aliasing effect.

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:29:45 AM »

motion blur is an effect best captured/modelled/sampled explicitly, at 25-30 fps. why?

1. better compression
2. faster objects have more blur
3. easier on the playing side
4. the eye doesn't register more than 25 or so fps anyway

i wish i could see the animation, but i'm already browsing with images off thanks to a 1gb per month data cap Sceptical

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »

I rendered the animation as a sequence of JPEG images and then compiled it into the AVI using Virtual Dub.  There is a setting in Virtual Dub where you can set the frame rate: video \ frame rate (which produces the window shown below).  You may have issues depending on the codec, but it's been clean sailing for me.

If you have an insane CPU(s) - getting higher frames rates is possible.  60 fps is actually higher than needed to hit the "sweet spot", but it does produce an additional anti-aliasing effect.

Hmmm...

I've seen that feature in VirtualDub, and it works just fine, but...  VirtualDub only makes avi files and yours was wmv!

None of my converters / editors will touch a video file with a non-standard frame rate.

I was asking how you got it into another format at that rate.  I am clueless how one would go about that except by making a gif or swf file (flv is still beyond my software inventory!).

I still have much to learn about compiling animation...

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
bradorpoints
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 09:21:56 PM »

Hmmm...

I've seen that feature in VirtualDub, and it works just fine, but...  VirtualDub only makes avi files and yours was wmv!

None of my converters / editors will touch a video file with a non-standard frame rate.

I was asking how you got it into another format at that rate.  I am clueless how one would go about that except by making a gif or swf file (flv is still beyond my software inventory!).

I still have much to learn about compiling animation...

Where are you seeing .wmv?  The file really is an AVI - check the link.  I think the Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2 was used, and was really was done with Virtual Dub.  Converting to a wmv is easy to do - try using Microsoft's Media Encoder, if you haven't already.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx  It's easy to use and is nice for making streaming media.  You can also change the frame rate during the conversion.  Media Encoder only likes AVIs - so if you have a sequence of frames, you will have to make an AVI first.  To avoid generational loss (compression on top of compression - like copying a VHS tape too many times), make an uncompressed AVI.  Watch out though - those guys get big fast.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

Where are you seeing .wmv?  The file really is an AVI - check the link.  I think the Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2 was used, and was really was done with Virtual Dub.  Converting to a wmv is easy to do - try using Microsoft's Media Encoder, if you haven't already.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx  It's easy to use and is nice for making streaming media.  You can also change the frame rate during the conversion.  Media Encoder only likes AVIs - so if you have a sequence of frames, you will have to make an AVI first.  To avoid generational loss (compression on top of compression - like copying a VHS tape too many times), make an uncompressed AVI.  Watch out though - those guys get big fast.

I had a Brain Fart on the wmv thing...  It opened in windows media player despite the fact that I have another player set to default for avi files.

I never even looked at the file extension...  Just assumed based on the player that opened it.

Oopsy.

I'll give the media encoder a shot over the weekend - thanks for the tip!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: