Logo by teamfresh - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 02:59:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Directionally Challenged  (Read 784 times)
Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« on: March 13, 2011, 05:30:25 AM »

Fractal generated by homemade software. It was colored by selecting pixels from an input image: a plasma cloud rendered and edited in GIMP. I also used GIMP for post-processing.

Fortran will rise again
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »

Really nice! How are the colors selected from the image? (I mean the algorithm)

Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »

Thanks, Kali! The algorithm varies from case to case, but I can describe the approach broadly by comparing it to the more usual method.

STANDARD COLORING

The program has a way of determining directly the amount the red, green, and blue for each pixel of the output image. That is, based on results from iterative calculations for a particular pixel, it computes

red = . . .        on a scale of 0 to 255
   green = . . .      on a scale of 0 to 255
   blue = . . .       on a scale of 0 to 255

IMAGE-BASED COLORING

Assume the input bitmap image has NROW rows and NCOL columns. The software makes use of similar formulas

row_number = . . .     on a scale of 1 to NROW
   col_number = . . .     on a scale of 1 to NCOL

Iterative fractal calculations are performed for a particular output pixel. Based on the results, the program then evaluates these two formulas. To color the pixel of the output image, it just grabs the red/green/blue values from the pixel of the input image located at the computed row_number and col_number.

Clear as mud, I'm sure. smiley

Regards,
Ken

Fortran will rise again
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:56:13 AM »

Thanks for the info. I'm surely will be doing something like this, the results are really cool. I wonder if it can be done in Ultrafractal.
Anyway, I'll be coding a self-made fractal generator soon... I think you were right when you wrote in one post a time ago, that making fractal art with a self-made program gives you more satisfaction than using somebody else software. It also opens the possibilities of full customization.
I don't know if I'll be going to code it in VB.NET, or maybe C#. I'm a VB programmer, but I was teaching myself C# lately, and I'm getting it fast.
But surely not Fortran... That's your speciality  wink
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:58:07 AM by Kali » Logged

Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:20 AM »

Anyway, I'll be coding a self-made fractal generator soon...
Great! And don't worry about your real life. Writing the software won't be at all time consuming.  laugh laugh

But surely not Fortran...
Wise choice.  smiley

Fortran will rise again
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: