Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 01:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Displacement Renderings  (Read 3597 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: March 11, 2007, 11:09:55 PM »

Hi all, i am testing out some heightmap rendeing methods for mutatorkammer, look how far i came this weekend ;;

detailed gallery here:

http://fractalmovies.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=3&g2_itemId=841&g2_highlightId=859

a valley

.. the sharp edges seem to make problems ;(

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:18:31 AM »

neato, how about some fractals on a sphere next? wink it would be so neat to spin around and zoom in!

ericbigas
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:58:23 AM »

Impressive, even with the jagged edges.  I like the "3d_3d" one the best: 
http://fractalmovies.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=3&g2_itemId=843&g2_GALLERYSID=7dbd5cd6db1addf673dc994391e56747

Go Kleinhuis!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:30:01 AM »

Christian Kleinhuis (Trifox) wrote:
>
>    Hi all, i am testing out some heightmap rendeing methods for Mutatorkammer,
>    look how far i came this weekend ....  ... the sharp edges seem to make problems  ;(

Very impressive!!    cool 

Several of these images have aspects about them which I like, but the "map_1_3d" and the "3d_3d" images are the ones I like the best.

Can't wait to try this out myself!!    smiley

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 03:01:25 AM »

i finally opened the box of pandorra  smiley

neato, how about some fractals on a sphere next? Wink it would be so neat to spin around and zoom in!

this is going to be the layer mode of the program, each layer is a entity in 3d space, with a particular mapping, the idea is to have standard photoshop/ultrafractal layer mode when looking right from above on to a stack plane ( or sphere( damn it, map makers dilemma, how to map a plane on to a sphere sad ) or displacement, or torus cool )transformed formulas
so you can define water sky planets and stuff wink but this will take a while sad  any help is welcome wink
but..
Impressive, even with the jagged edges.  I like the "3d_3d" one the best: 

as you can see the jagged edges fluff me totally up, you(lycium) said the paper describes correct rendering of fractals structures?
at this time it is a sampling problem, the regular grid does not hit the edges well enough, i will try out hexagons next time , or some sort
of 3d simplyfing algorithm to detect planes and edges

Can't wait to try this out myself!!   
lol, at this point ( mutatorkammer v0.648 ) is somehow *frozen*, the 3d parts will be together in the final name of the program: PHATFRACTAL2  grin
i will see that i get some of the functions running in user interface and save&edit mode, but the point is leaving good old 2d grounds is sooooooooooo much work,
llight pos, attenuation, camera, target camera uargh- but this would be all, and some nice general mapping formula to map the formula to other object rather than a plane, it would be nice to use existing parts of the engine for doing that as you know the engine features vectors of complex numbers - so each vector formula should do the job wink

btw. i have added some more renderings to the gallery
http://fractalmovies.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=3&g2_itemId=841

noisy

superformula

---

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 05:52:26 AM »

you(lycium) said the paper describes correct rendering of fractals structures?

pardon, which paper? i previously linked hart's thesis somewhere on this forum (eh losing track with all my recent spamming), are you referring to that?

argh 6:50am, probably time to stop coding...

iteron
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 07:32:25 AM »

nice work...your program is looking good...by the way I like the original name better (sounds more esoteric  grin) it's not really important I just had to get that out
You're really moving along on the 3-d work looks great!

Marc
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 01:09:21 AM »

and some more:

http://fractalmovies.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=3&g2_itemId=884&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

http://fractalmovies.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=3&g2_itemId=887&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 01:05:30 AM »

Ok, i see, it all lies in smoothing it.

These are regular smoothings on a 1024 grid, right now i am working on a gaussian smoothing wink

http://fractalmovies.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=3&g2_itemId=893&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

http://fractalmovies.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=3&g2_itemId=896&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

---

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 06:59:07 AM »

i'd be interested to know what fps you get for these 1m triangles smiley

as for gaussian smoothing, i can pass on a tip: just apply a box filter several times, the process converges to a gaussian result quite quickly (even photoshop uses this technique). what's more, if you do it right* a box filter can be implemented in O(pixels), that is, the speed is completely independent of the size of the filter width. and one more thing: probably you've noticed the boundary-handling if-statements are annoying, but in this case we can do it well. for each successive box-filter the image grows by filterwidth/2 on all sides, so for N applications it's trivial to predict the final image extents... so if you work with a slightly enlarged buffer you can skip all those special cases.

hmm, i'm not so sure how useful the above is to you though, since you're hardly in a position to call the resulting heightfield "fractal" if you smooth it a lot wink

edit: fine, fine, i will drop the piece of info you need most: what you really want to achieve is not postfiltering, but prefiltering. this is true of all your mutatorthingy fractals, be they 2d or 3d...

* this is where it's convenient to have a demoscene background cheesy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:11:32 AM by lycium » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 08:44:30 AM »

i'd be interested to know what fps you get for these 1m triangles Smiley
lets not talk about it, it is rendering a 1024x1024 image, and then render 1024x1024x2 triangles wink

if its just the triangles, you could move, but no refinment of the formula ...

as for gaussian smoothing, i can pass on a tip: just apply a box filter several times, the process converges to a gaussian result quite quickly (even photoshop uses this technique). what's more, if you do it right* a box filter can be implemented in O(pixels), that is, the speed is completely independent of the size of the filter width. and one more thing: probably you've noticed the boundary-handling if-statements are annoying, but in this case we can do it well. for each successive box-filter the image grows by filterwidth/2 on all sides, so for N applications it's trivial to predict the final image extents... so if you work with a slightly enlarged buffer you can skip all those special cases.

hmm, i'm not so sure how useful the above is to you though, since you're hardly in a position to call the resulting heightfield "fractal" if you smooth it a lot Wink

i am right now using a filter to which i can pass a matrix(which sums to 1 ) , wich is then applied to each pixel, the size of the matrix/2 is the border i need to calculate if i want to render more than one region

the filter used for the above images is 20x20 pixels wide ( a 3x3 filter applied 10 times).

just think of high resolutions, if i render it 10.000x10.000 the filter just gets me rid of the nasty spikes a fractal can cause, filtering them away just makes a sharp 3d image, even for zooming wink

edit: fine, fine, i will drop the piece of info you need most: what you really want to achieve is not postfiltering, but prefiltering. this is true of all your mutatorthingy fractals, be they 2d or 3d...

yeah, thats the thing i stated above cheesy
btw. supersampling is already implemented wink

* this is where it's convenient to have a demoscene background Cheesy
i am enjoying demo secene since 1990 wink even if i have not released anything meaningful, i started releasing c64 stuff lastyear wink
check this out:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=38303

---

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »

the filter used for the above images is 20x20 pixels wide ( a 3x3 filter applied 10 times).

i think that explicitly storing and filtering all that is misdirection of computational resources (rather supersample/prefilter), but well, if it works for you smiley

just think of high resolutions

yes exactly; if you render 10k by 10k you should be able to use each and every one of those texels, otherwise it's a waste, no?

i am enjoying demo secene since 1990 wink even if i have not released anything meaningful, i started releasing c64 stuff lastyear wink
check this out:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=38303

that's too cool mate, respect for oldskoolness! cheesy i checked your juggling demo (another hobby of mine is juggling), neat stuff! i only got interested in the scene during mid-90s unfortunately, but have since caught up much of the history... of course that's nothing like experiencing it directly (as you lucky europeans get to do), but oh well.

edit: for the benefit of those who don't know what we're talking about, visit http://pouet.net and be amazed!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:59:07 AM by lycium » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 09:43:43 AM »

here is another one:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50901318/

---

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: