Logo by Madman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 09:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbrot on real numbers (new post)  (Read 33345 times)
Description: Linear combination of two 1D Mandelbrots sets
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »

I like the notion, but tweaked it a bit, using two different 1D Julia sets (using the same set on each axis was just too symmetric for me).  Here are a couple of examples using my Rose Range Lite coloring in Ultra Fractal.

(Sorry if this shows up twice--my images were too large so I had to try again.)

* jan24-b.jpg (96.59 KB, 600x450 - viewed 440 times.)

* jan24-a.jpg (81.04 KB, 600x600 - viewed 383 times.)
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »

Sorry, the last 3d pictures uses |x|+|y|+|z| instead of |x|+|y|-|z| for the bailout value.

Here is the correct 3d fractal.

* Data537pic10633a.jpg (242.59 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 391 times.)
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:08:48 PM »

Another start value

* Data537pic10669small.jpg (243.67 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 490 times.)
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »

Nice pics, @lkmitch, I have also tried the Julia version with differents values for each function, it works nice.

---

Good work, @traffassel, The first looks like some kind of 3d cantor sets, and the second is a nice architectural piece smiley
Did you try using abs function, like abs(x-y-z) or abs(x+y+z)?
And perhaps inverting the bailout setting for values that tend to zero? (I mean setting a small bailout value and exiting the iteration loop if the values get smaller than this)

P.S.: What do you use to render? I'd love to have a 3D renderer that let's me edit the formula and the drawing method as I want... I'm planning to code one myself.

---

@Ken, any new results?

---

As for me, I just discovered this:

Using the formula/method I first described, but evaluating abs(f1+f2) and setting the bailout to values getting close to 0, I got this kind of bifurcation map (I had to fine-tune the bailout and max iteration values to get a nice view)

And this is evaluating abs(f1-f2)

I used just plain inside painting (paint only the points inside the set, the same color)

Then, after trying several things, I got this strange drawing:

I looked closer and it's a waveform!

I got this by evaluating f1*f1-f2*f2, with a bailout value of .0000000001 (remember that I look for values that get smaller than this) and max iterations above 1000

It definitely looks like a plot of a sound wave to me, don't you think? it has different frequencies and amplitudes, I wonder how it sounds.
I'll try to get this waveform somehow by programming a VB.NET code and perhaps I can make it sound!

I don't have any conclusion as for now, I leave it for you.
( Can´t think too much as I' having a bad headache sad )

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:52:27 PM by Kali » Logged

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »

Fantastic pictures Kali, the results of your experiences are so beautiful, and the first two pictures above are very impressive! I wonder what your fractal is trying to tell us with its strange waveform. That's pure fractal sound. Anyone to translate it to .wav?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »

You wrote:
>Did you try using abs function, like abs(x-y-z) or abs(x+y+z)?
> And perhaps inverting the bailout setting for values that tend to
> zero? (I mean setting a small bailout value and exiting the iteration loop
> if the values get smaller than this)

No, I use abs(x)-abs(y)+abs(z)   

I used Gestaltlupe (http://www.boitels.de/Gestaltlupe/) for 3d drawing of arbitrary formulas.

* Data537pic10688small.jpg (255.75 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 447 times.)
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »

Isn't this related to the Lyapunov function?
Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »

It definitely looks like a plot of a sound wave to me, don't you think? it has different frequencies and amplitudes, I wonder how it sounds.
I'll try to get this waveform somehow by programming a VB.NET code and perhaps I can make it sound!

Cool picture and a great idea! This could be a really neat approach to making fractal music.

@Ken, any new results?

Here's an image which uses Kali's initial method, but with bailout based on sqrt(x2 + y2) instead of |x - y|.

I see what look like barcodes within the picture.

Fortran will rise again
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 12:38:30 AM »

Thanks @bib for your words (I love your artwork) and @trafassel for the info, I just downloaded the program, I'm about to try it. I realy like the images you posted.

@matsoljare, don't know about Lyapunov function, but I think it's related somehow to the logistic map, if you see the bifurcations graph I posted (I already know standard Mandelbrot is also related).

What I see, in all diferent variants, it's that the are distortions in the shapes (stretchings) that are always present within the patterns. I'm pretty sure  it's related to the waveform I found. Maybe the distortions obbey or encodes somehow the waveform frequency/amplitude.

I'm still looking for a way to reproduce the waveform, but also we must find how to decode the barcode Ken mentioned smiley

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:23:28 AM by Kali » Logged

Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 06:56:36 AM »

Here's a variant based on the formula (x, y) = (x3/y, y2) + c.

I think it's a surreal teapot.

Fortran will rise again
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »

I will look into it Kali and get back to you, but for now i think that the fundamental basis of all these patterns is ratios of equivalence. We live in a marvellous age, where we can now visualise our relational patterns.

I think rusty ken! has nailed it for you in terms of generalising your algorithm to the (x,y) plane, but it may be to symbolic for you, so i will look for some natural process for you to think on.

Finally, i would be interested if you could explore outputs for prime number coefficients or constraints as far as possible.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »

Wow, this is so interesting Kali, even for a novice, cant give you any real input, like the others here, just had to tell you this.
Your images looks very interesting, so does Trafassels 3D versions.... and...
I WANT TO HEAR THAT SOUND!!!! smiley

Regards
Johan

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »

PSSSSCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

cheesy

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »

I WANT TO HEAR THAT SOUND!!!! smiley

<Quoted Image Removed>

Me too!

So I did something about it   afro

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vaFtbOicjSY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vaFtbOicjSY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

And - OF COURSE my desktop wallpaper is Lissa!!  I just couldn't bring myself to crop Her out   devil

That's part one of a couple stages.  I'll post more over the next day or 2.

I began by using a jpg to wav program that makes music out of pictures (found here: http://rekkerd.org/virtual-ans-image-to-sound-converter/ )

Next I'll show how to convert the wav to midi voices and compile them into something a bit more Musical  sweet music

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »

Sockratease, the conversion you did is super cool!

Kali, don't quit your day job to compose music quite yet.  grin

Fortran will rise again
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: