Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 03:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hi, I'm Duncan C  (Read 2902 times)
alan2here
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 12:37:06 PM »

Welcome

If you can get access to a windows PC then I strongly advice you to check out UltraFractal
http://www.ultrafractal.com/features.html

Don't let it discorege you from adding fetures to your's, all fractal software started out small at first.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »

Sockratease,

Visual basic is not going to be a good choice for a fractal generator. It's an interpreted langugage, and not nearly "close enough to the machine." There's far too much junk between you and the CPU that's actually doing the calculations required to render a fractal.

I'm guessing that a visual basic program would take hundreds of times longer - if not thousands of times longer - than a compiled language like C/C++/Pascal/Fortran to compute a fractal.

Back in the 80's when I wrote my first fractal generating program, I hand-wrote the calculation code in assembly language. That let me squeeze every clock cycle I  could out of my code.

These days compilers are good enough, and the processors complicated enough, that it's quite hard to write assembler code that's faster than well-crafted C.

You might want to talk to a developer and ask them to write you some fractal calculation code and package it as a DLL for you. You could then use it in VB and build buttons and forms to your heart's content, while still getting good performance.

I mostly develop for the Macintosh so building DLLs not something I could do easily. I've done a couple of stints of development for Windows, but don't have the current tools and would have to re-remember how to use them if I did.

Duncan C

Good Advice!

But I am just trying to learn VB since I got it free...

Fortran is still around? I learned in Fortran III Punching Cards!

Then took a couple decades off...

I still can't adjust to the idea that computers are not for programming anymore!

You have to BUY a programming language???

SHEESH!

But yeah...

I'm not trying to make anything groundbreaking.  I'll be happy to just draw the Mandlebrot set at one pre set angle and zoom!

Time lately has been really tight.

Getting back on track now...

I hope to see be here more often!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:43:10 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: