Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 28, 2024, 06:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Managing zoom-related colour changes  (Read 1622 times)
Tex Arcana
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »

I've noticed that colours change as I zoom in on fractals in Mandelbulb 3D.  Surfaces at different distances seem to start taking on different hues from the palette and cycling through them as the zoom gets closer.  Or something.

Is there a way of minimising this effect, so that outer surface colours remain more or less the same at all zoom levels?

Any tips appreciated.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »

I was under the impression that there wasn't really a color palette at work here, so much as a colored light set illuminating an otherwise colorless 3D Object - much like in Bryce, Carrara, Blender, etc.

If you move around a 3D Set in those programs, without moving the lights, yes - the lighting will look different.

Have you tried checking the "Relative to Object" box in the Ambient tab of the Lighting controls?  That may help.  But in extreme cases you may need to actually keyframe the lighting too if the effect is to be minimized even more.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Tatty
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

If you find the colour mapping changes with different magnifications make sure the 'col var on z' in the object colouring tab is set to zero.
Especially in animations.
Tex Arcana
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I checked the settings you mentioned were as you suggested, but they didn't make any difference, I'm afraid.

It's not lighting related, it's definitely to do with the Object Colouring settings.  Adjusting the DE stop value *seemed* to have a positive effect and is now set at 2; but after some tweaking around and render tests, it appears that the best way to manage this, is to tweak the colour settings between keyframes.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »

hi, you can reduce the zoom dependend color changes by doing the following:

- adjust the "Col. start" and "Col. end" sliders in the "Object color" tab on the lighting panel for each keyframe according to the shown histogram between the sliders.  And a bigger distance between the two setting reduces also changes.

- dont change the maximum iteration count setting, set it to the maximum value that is used in the animation right from the beginning.  The DE stop value determines the detail level and the iterations vary on the surface if you zoom in - that is the main reason why the colors are changing on zooms.

- you may also try the "color on orbit trap" setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: