Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 11:59:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb 3D : How to export 3d mesh ?  (Read 40760 times)
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 05:25:13 AM »

Render an animation of your object in 2D using the Z tool for setting start and end parameters.
jpuget
Alien

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »

Is tehere any new way of exporting  a 3d fractal from MD3D to another software???
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »

Is tehere any new way of exporting  a 3d fractal from MD3D to another software???

This topic is about 3D Meshes, not parameters.  A 3D Mesh gets imported to 3D Modeling / Rendering software like Carrara, Blender, Maya, etc.  

Do you use 3D Software, or are you referring to exporting parameters from MB3D into another Fractal Generator?

I don't think the parameters are compatible, but progress may have been made in that area.

Here's what I mean by a 3D Mesh in a 3D Package like Carrara :

The Mandelbulb was made into a 3D Model, then imported to the Cow Rendering Program  (in my case, Carrara) for this image.  Other people like using the meshes for 3D Printing or Video Game Making.

But it is (in my opinion!) (and very likely only in my opinion!!) best suited for interaction with cows.

So when you say "exporting a 3d fractal from MB3D to another software" you leave room for ambiguity.  I'm not sure if you want to mix 3D Models with 3D Fractals, as above, or render the same parameters in another program.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
bleepurchin
Forums Newbie

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »

I've just embarked on a journey into the possibilities of using fractals in my everyday animations in Maya and Cinema 4D.    I work in the VFX industry and find it really sad that there is no effort to get these meshes out of these amazing fractal generating pieces of software into the wider world of the 3D modelling and animation.

I wonder if it's in large part because once these gorgeous easily generated shapes become 'mainstream' it will make them so widely available as objects that they will become diminished somehow.

Anyway,  I'm putting it out there that someone into coding and development must surely find the impetuous to get the 'export to OBJ' function inbuilt into these programs!

(voxel image stacks are not good enough and produce awful quality meshes).

I shall now get down off my soap box...

Thanks!
Luke.

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 12:31:59 PM »

See the tutorials they are sticky in this section. You of course can get an obj file, just not directly from the software.

Else... well a single fractal object "mesh" or obj would occupy thousands of gigabytes... to be rendered in a decent quality cheesy
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:34:08 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »

I've just embarked on a journey into the possibilities of using fractals in my everyday animations in Maya and Cinema 4D.    I work in the VFX industry and find it really sad that there is no effort to get these meshes out of these amazing fractal generating pieces of software into the wider world of the 3D modelling and animation.

I wonder if it's in large part because once these gorgeous easily generated shapes become 'mainstream' it will make them so widely available as objects that they will become diminished somehow.

Anyway,  I'm putting it out there that someone into coding and development must surely find the impetuous to get the 'export to OBJ' function inbuilt into these programs!

(voxel image stacks are not good enough and produce awful quality meshes).

I shall now get down off my soap box...

Thanks!
Luke.

What would be needed is a Plug-In for every 3D Program one wants to do these things in.  The main reason we can't "get these meshes out of these amazing fractal generating pieces of software into the wider world of the 3D modelling and animation" is that there is no mesh to speak of.  In 3D Terms it's more akin to a Volumetric Cloud than any 3D Model at all.  Consider asking to export an obj file from a volumetric cloud in Bryce (or any other equivalent software).  It's just not a thing which can be done easily or with anywhere near the quality of the original.  As you know, one cannot even export volumetric clouds and similar things from Maya to Cinema 4D or Bryce, Carrara, Max, or any other 3D Program.  They are considered Native to each program and it's just the way it is...

And even if the Plug-In were somehow written, it would remain a meshless part of the process, so no real Physics could happen, and UV Mapping would never happen easily.

Think of these things more as very dense "Point Clouds" than actual objects.

The Mandelbulb assaulting the Cow above is about the best we can do until computers get a generation or 3 better   afro

That said, it is possible to get a decent mesh from a voxel stack, it will be a couple gigabytes and choke most software, but it can be done!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:38:11 AM by Sockratease, Reason: add sumpin\' » Logged

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »

Anyway,  I'm putting it out there that someone into coding and development must surely find the impetuous to get the 'export to OBJ' function inbuilt into these programs!

I'm sorry to just now notice this - but I forgot to mention the many fractal programs with this feature already implemented!

Just not so many for Mandelbulbs.  But try ChaosPro, Xenodream, Incendia, JWildfire, Any of the MysticFrcatal programs, or possibly even things like K3DSurf.

There are trade-offs involved in all of them like fractal types vs mesh quality and free vs paid functionality - but the feature is out there and quite common.  Just not so for the Mandelbulb due to it's nature and not due to any conspiracy to keep these things from anybody   afro

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: