Logo by mrob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:26:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Protoplasma Dancers  (Read 4751 times)
stefan
Forums Freshman

« on: November 14, 2006, 09:45:10 AM »

<a href="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=6001399249367017753" target="_blank">http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=6001399249367017753</a>

just for fun ...
doncasteel8587
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:54:54 AM »

Just for fun?  huh?

That's Excelent and very beautiful!
Nicely done!
titia
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »

Beautiful dancers!
heneganj
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:17:08 PM »

Excellent animation - would be good to see that at DVD quality.
stefan
Forums Freshman

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:29:21 PM »

Thanks for the comments! I rendered this in 800x600px but in order to see it full size you have to download the file from google video because the flash version is really small. For DVD quality I probably need to buy another computer, because on my Atholon 3000+ PC it took ~3 days to produce all the 900 frames for this animation and in the meantime the machine was nearly unusable for other tasks smiley
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »

Excellent animation Stefan - was it Xenodream or your own custom software ?

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:13:09 PM »

david, it's xeno - can tell from the transitions and overall appearance.

stefan, the animation is very interesting and those morph keys are well chosen! buy a dualcore or quadcore machine and make more :D

stefan
Forums Freshman

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 09:20:30 AM »

Thanks for the advice, lycium. In fact I intend to organize a rendering farm with ~500 quadcore machines and produce full time animated movies. I just need a sponsor for that ... cheesy

BTW: I forgot to mention - you are right, the animation has been made with an intermediate beta of Xeno Dream where a new animation feature is available. I made it in order to test the interpolation of shape parameters and the batch rendering option. In my view XD contains a huge potential for really crazy animations.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:33:03 AM by stefan » Logged
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 12:46:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice, lycium. In fact I intend to organize a rendering farm with ~500 quadcore machines and produce full time animated movies. I just need a sponsor for that ... cheesy

that makes two of us! i'd like to render something like http://www.fractographer.com/wip/adits_final.png at 1920x1080 (highest possible hd resolution) in an animation, of course containing many different kinds of 3d fractals, responding to music. i'm sure that could be sold, and well, just need a sponsor for that cluster.

in my case from back-of-the-envelope estimates, i think "just" 4 quadcore machines, each with 2gb of ram, would be enough to get the ball rolling.

BTW: I forgot to mention - you are right, the animation has been made with an intermediate beta of Xeno Dream where a new animation feature is available.

xeno seems to have an inescapable "look" to it wink

I made it in order to test the interpolation of shape parameters and the batch rendering option. In my view XD contains a huge potential for really crazy animations.

all fractal apps do actually, and this is unfortunately rarely explored, even in the 2d case!!! i have some older ones online here btw: http://www.fractographer.com/wip

sorry if this reply is a little rushed, there's (another) thunderstorm coming and everything needs to be shut down sad

stefan
Forums Freshman

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

i'm sure that could be sold, and well, just need a sponsor for that cluster.

Well, you make me optimistic; I thought this type of production is hard or impossible to sell. If there is a market for such videos, then I'm really interested and start looking for investors wink
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »

(thunderstorm passed with not a bang but a whimper)

Well, you make me optimistic; I thought this type of production is hard or impossible to sell. If there is a market for such videos, then I'm really interested and start looking for investors wink

that basically puts us in the same market as the biocursion dvd; i was thinking earlier if their revenue is enough to support such an endeavour, strings could be pulled and some hd-dvd / blu-ray fractal animation discs could be produced. i'm sure someone will be interested in bundling such a disc with such a hd video player to show off its quality potential, and if it's done right the thing could be turned into a nicely cyclic/randomised display for parties or so - kinda like scott draves' "dreams in high fidelity" project (which isn't done at 1080p hd res iirc).

going further, i've been thinking a lot about achieving realtime rendering of these 3d fractals using the latest generation of gpus (http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=1 - mine should be arriving tomorrow); they have a great mix of general purpose and graphics-specific computational power that makes them ideal for the task. what's more, they are on an incredibly fast computational growth curve ("moore's law cubed" as nvidia coins it) and several gpus can be used in parallel. i'm doubtful that full hd resolution 3d fractals of the sort i showed previously can be done in realtime on a single g80, but perhaps with two of the next generation ones (which will be integrated into the cpu most likely, thanks to amd/ati teaming up) will be enough.

the remaining problems are only that of engineering a ridiculously efficient rendering scheme* that can be mapped to gpus, finding good music and convincing a sponsor that the 4 g80 cards are not, in fact, for gaming! wink

* halfway there on that one, just need to map it to the gpu in a way that doesn't lean on the cpu so much. using a single 2.5ghz thread of execution that image i linked, which is 542 megapixels big at its full size (29310x18510 resolution), took just under a day to compute - and that's going way over the quality requirements for an animation where 5x5 supersampling already looks completely awesome. this is somewhat complicated by the need for temporal antialiasing (motion blur), which will increase the antialiasing quality but also take much longer - i'd say a day per frame per 2.5ghz core with outrageously high quality rendering at hd resolution isn't so bad though, and bodes well for a gpu implementation. those new intel chips (c2d) are a lot faster than my athlon x2 in several key areas and also support 64bit, which is totally necessary for my app; i can still do low level sse optimisation to get a 2-3x performance increase, also. shit now i've typed way too much again...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:05:24 PM by lycium » Logged

stefan
Forums Freshman

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 09:07:19 AM »

You rise lots of technical issues here and I don't feel competent enough in that area. My feeling is that the main problem is the software, because not too many people today are involved in writing fractal software.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 05:07:34 PM by stefan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: