Logo by RedBug - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 02:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: My Bachelor Thesis ? Fractal Mountains revisited  (Read 1090 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »

hi there, i planning to write my bachelor thesis about this method, invented by me, the thesis will deal with pro and cons of the method,
here a little peak, and i am very intrested on your opinion on this thesis:

we all know the classig BERG algorithm to create mountain scapes, here demonstrated in 2d:
1. take the midpoint of a line and move it randomly a certain amount up or down
2. repeat with each new created line with step 1

the result is a mountain or hilly like shape:

<a href="http://digitalgott.de/transfer/bachelor/mountains_8iterations.swf" target="_blank">http://digitalgott.de/transfer/bachelor/mountains_8iterations.swf</a>
(click on image to regenerate)

but the above image has some serious drawbacks, so it has no right angles, caves or advances
so, i have a slight modification to the original algorithm:

1. take the midpoint of a line and move it by a random amount in the direction of the normal
2. repeat with each new created line with step 1

here is a 2d implementation of this method, but my work aims to use it on 3d planes ...

<a href="http://digitalgott.de/transfer/bachelor/mountains_10iterations.swf" target="_blank">http://digitalgott.de/transfer/bachelor/mountains_10iterations.swf</a>
(click on image to regenerate)

what do you think ?

i need to convience my prof wink

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:10:01 PM by Trifox » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »

My first impression is that the second one looks less realistic than the first one, because of the horizontal small peaks. Maybe a combination of both would do better?...

Or instead of using the normal between 2 points, use the normal between 2 more distant points, so that makes a kind of average.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:36:09 PM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
reesej2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »

The second image looks a little "squashed" but I'd guess that's just a matter of calibrating the parameters. You may want to make the horizontal distortions less common. I'd like to see a 3D rendering.... maybe I'll give it a shot myself.

What were you planning on discussing in your thesis? A mathematical perspective (fractal dimension, correlation to real mountains, etc) or a computational one (order of complexity, ease of rendering, etc)? Or some combination of the two?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »

as a bachelor thesis i think it will contain an implementation and a comparison to classic method, but i dont know yet, it is just one of the themes i would actually love to write about wink

the parameters indeed must be tweaked a little, but i believe the second one has after a few sure surrealistic formations a better outline of a mountainvies, e.g. compare it to a foto:

in that image are also small advances, and those can not be displayed using a height map

but i agree that there are to  sharp gaps, this should be handled by an angles/max value

my personal aim is to generate visually more attractive computer generated landscapes wink
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:54:57 PM by Trifox » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »

The first example seems more realistic to me than the second one.

And I found it interesting that I could click anywhere inside of the second one to get it to create another pattern.  But I could only click within the gray "mountain" area of the first one, because the white "sky" area would not cause a new pattern to be generated.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: