Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 08:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: awesome gradients  (Read 2812 times)
Description: which gradients work best for coloring Mandelbrot?
makc
Strange Attractor

« on: April 08, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

ok, so I couldn't resist another go at log scale Mandelbrot and calculated the image that looks like this:

(except it 100 times larger...)

It looks rubbish but it's actually smooth gradient in (R*256+G)*256+B, if you zero all channels but red you would see standard black-to-white coloring. So now I am looking for color gradients to map it to, like

So my question is, is there any particular palettes that Mandelbrot looks best with, or does any smooth transition work equally well?
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »

My default colour map, when I have no idea what structures to expect, is usually just (a) cycle(s) through the rainbow. This has no intensity contrast at all (except against the black interior), but reasonably uniform local contrast everywhere (assuming reasonably good colour reproduction by your display device).

Adjusting the "phase" and "frequency" of this colour "standing wave" can (de-)emphasize certain areas almost arbitrarily. I find those colours a nice tool for exploration. But for artistic purposes they have been done to the death, so beware (and the lack of intensity contrast is another downside).
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »

(and the lack of intensity contrast is another downside).
so right about this part...

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »

Well, you can always globally dial contrast up or down, by making more or fewer turns around the circle of saturated colours. Or you can modulate the intensity with a higher frequency to add smaller scale local contrast. If you go from black to full intensity and back (like the "copper bars" of yore did), you'll get the impression of parallel tubes. Palette cycling of those can look particularly weird. smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: