Logo by mrob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 01:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Yet another alternate transformation idea.  (Read 1437 times)
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« on: April 01, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »

The conventional way of squaring complex numbers can be described as squaring the distance from zero, while doubling the angle. The conventional Mandelbrot and Julia sets are of course generated by the simpler, more linear way of adding a value to the horizontal and vertical position value. It's the conflict between these two different geometries, the two different ways of representing the location of a point, which generates the amazing complexities we all know.

What if we instead add a constant to the angle and distance, and square or multiply the real and imaginary parts?
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »

The conventional Mandelbrot and Julia sets are of course generated by the simpler, more linear way of adding a value to the horizontal and vertical position value.

That is not correct. The value is added to z2, not to z...
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:29:16 AM »

@JosLeys: I think he meant regular, linear addition after the angle doubling and radius squaring.

@Matsoljare: At first I was about to say that this would be equivalent to working in polar coordinates, but no...

In the regular Mset:

xNew=xOld*xOld-yOld*yOld+Cx
yNew=2*xOld*yOld+Cy

In your idea:

radiusNew=radiusOld+Cradius
angleNew=angleOld+Cangle
which means:
xMiddle=cos(angleNew)*radiusNew
yMiddle=sin(angleNew)*radiusNew      -->

xMiddle=cos(atan(zOld)+atan(C))*cabs(zOld)
yMiddle=sin(atan(zOld)+atan(C))*cabs(zOld) -->

xMiddle=[cos(atan(zOld))*cos(atan(C))-sin(atan(zOld))*sin(atan(c))]*cabs(zOld)
yMiddle=[sin(atan(zOld))*cos(atan(C))-cos(atan(zOld))*sin(atan(c))]*cabs(zOld) -->

xMiddle=[1/[sqrt((1 + zOld^2)(1+C^2))]  + zOld*C/[sqrt((1 + zOld^2)(1+C^2))] ]*cabs(zOld)
yMiddle=[zOld/[sqrt((1 + zOld^2)(1+C^2))]-C/[sqrt((1 + zOld^2)(1+C^2))]*cabs(zOld)

Then for xNew, square it, and for yNew, double it (or vice versa - they will give different fractals, I think).

So the most efficient UF code would be:

init:
 c=#pixel
 c1=(1+c^2)
 z=0
loop:
 sqrtMult=1/sqrt(c1*sqrt(1+z^2))
 z=((sqrtMult+z*c*sqrtMult)^2,2*(z*sqrtMult+c*sqrtMult))
final:
 //find a bailout condition that works!

Good luck!  smiley

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »

So can anyone give me an example to see if this actually works?
Krumel
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »

So you replace the standard formula
z -> z^2 + c = e^{arg(z) \cdot 2 \cdot i} \cdot abs(z)^2 + c
with the following formula:
z -> e^{(arg(z)+n) \cdot i} \cdot (abs(Z) + n) + c
Well, I tried it out, and it turns out, that it gives pretty lame results for real n.
Then I tried a complex n, and it turns out, that the results are quite interesting.
For example, for n = -0.86 -0.52i you get the attached image.

ps: Bailout conditions are the same as in the standard mandelbrot.

* Render.png (121.2 KB, 1024x1024 - viewed 151 times.)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »

shouldn't it rather be abs(z)*n?

* -> ^
and
+ -> *
and such?
Krumel
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »

That's right, but if you do that, then you'll get just a boring dot...
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:59:22 PM »

ah, I see smiley

I experimented a bit with the properties of ln to reduce or e to increase the grade of an operation...

like: ln(x)+ln(y)=ln(x*y) and ln(x)-ln(y)=ln(x/y) and lnx^y)=y*ln(x) and e^x*e^y=e^(x+y) and (e^x)^y=e^(x*y) and x^ln(y)=y^ln(x)
and with those I wondered if I could somehow manufacture a "fake" ternation and the operation that would be beyond + and -

The lower grade operation would be ln(e^x+e^y) and ln(e^x-e^y), respectively.
The higher grade operation would be something like (e^x)^(e^y) or something like that... - I'm not exactly sure about that.

Maybe, two of those in combination would lead to interesting variations...
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »

I'm sure many have tried substituting x*(x+constant) for x*x in the normal Mandelbrot/Julia formula, but can anyone remind me what the result looks like?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: