Logo by Khaotik - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 09:13:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 3024 times)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:30:38 PM »

Hi - just thought I'd join - I'm David Makin, user of Ultrafractal including writing the "MMF" formulas (and author of MMFrac though I don't recommend MMFrac unless you really need a DOS fractal program).
My main website is website.lineone.net/~dave_makin/
I'm now 44 and have been fractalling since April 1999 when I found Fractint.
I'm currently investigating the possibilities of Julia Sets from areas of strange attraction - they give a whole new perspective on "inside" colouring.
The formula I'm currently concentrating on is "Attractors" from mmf4.ufm in the Ultrafractal Formula Datbase formulas.ultrafractal.com
My dayjob is computer programming (games & apps) but I hope to move to fractals/fractal art full-time in the future.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
titia
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:02:55 PM »

Hello David...I know your work from Renderosity..I love it.
I am glad you joined!

Titia

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:58:27 AM »

Hi - just thought I'd join - I'm David Makin, user of Ultrafractal including writing the "MMF" formulas (and author of
    MMFrac though I don't recommend MMFrac unless you really need a DOS fractal program).
    My main website is http://website.lineone.net/~dave_makin/
    I'm now 44 and have been fractalling since April 1999 when I found Fractint.
    I'm currently investigating the possibilities of Julia Sets from areas of strange attraction - they give a whole new perspective on "inside" colouring.
    The formula I'm currently concentrating on is "Attractors" from mmf4.ufm in the Ultrafractal Formula Datbase formulas.ultrafractal.com
    My dayjob is computer programming (games & apps) but I hope to move to fractals/fractal art full-time in the future.

Hey there, David !!    Welcome to this particular Forum !!    (Won't that be 44-1/2 by next week??  wink )

Have you decided to use the UFBeta group on GoogleGroups for your Quat/Hyper/Julibrot 3D/4D formulas you are working on??

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:27:01 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

heneganj
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 12:46:39 PM »

Welcome to the forums David!
Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:29:36 PM »

Welcome dear David,

Pleas help us with our discussion about the construction of the 3D Mandelbrot set.

Jules Ruis.

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
Zoom
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 02:16:54 AM »

Welcome D.M.!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 11:09:14 PM »

Hello David...I know your work from Renderosity..I love it.
I am glad you joined!

Titia

Thanks Titia - I like what I've seen of your work too :-)

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:12:21 PM »

Have you decided to use the UFBeta group on GoogleGroups for your Quat/Hyper/Julibrot 3D/4D formulas you are working on??

Yes, but I over-estimated how much free time I'd have - it may be a few weeks before I get chance to work on it again - if all else fails I'll be using the Xmas holdiays.

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 11:13:06 PM »

Welcome to the forums David!

Thanks Jason - and thanks for the forum !

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 11:16:36 PM »

Welcome dear David,

Pleas help us with our discussion about the construction of the 3D Mandelbrot set.

Jules Ruis.

Hi Jules, my fractal maths is still limited so "academic" exploration is not really my speciality - in any case which 3D Mandelbrot did you have in mind - the Julibrot/s or quaternionic or hypercomplex or octonionic...... ?

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 11:21:14 PM »

Welcome D.M.!

Thanks Eric.

Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 10:56:09 AM »

Welcome dear David,

Jules Ruis.

Hi Jules, my fractal maths is still limited so "academic" exploration is not really my speciality - in any case which 3D Mandelbrot did you have in mind - the Julibrot/s or quaternionic or hypercomplex or octonionic...... ?

Each of these approaches which leads to Mandelbrots with bulbs on all axes are welcome.

Jules Ruis.

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 01:41:01 PM »

Each of these approaches which leads to Mandelbrots with bulbs on all axes are welcome.

Jules Ruis.

I don't know of a numeric system whereby standard "a^2+b" will produce bulbs on all axes in the manner I think you mean sad

Of course with the Julibrot the "bulbs" are extended into 3D tiubes and so are more than simply rotations of the 2D bulbs and with the hypercomplex the "tubes" produced are again not aligned with a main axis.

It's probably possible using other "main formulas" but it isn't something I've looked for specifically.

An idea that springs to mind is to try a quaternionic formula such as q^2+fn(q)+c where fn(q) is a rotational transformation switching round the axes of q - or using q^2+c but applying x axis->y-axis on one iteration, y-axis->z-axis on the next and z-axis->x-axis on the next then applying no transform then repeating the 4 stages (I mean flipping the axes of q around prior to applying q^2+c).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 01:50:30 PM by David Makin » Logged

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »

heya david, i've been impressed by your technical posts around the forums and am particularly keen to see what you come up with using those modified quat-julia iterations!

i've added you to my watch list on deviantart - hope to see more great work there too :)

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 06:27:10 PM »

heya david, i've been impressed by your technical posts around the forums and am particularly keen to see what you come up with using those modified quat-julia iterations!

i've added you to my watch list on deviantart - hope to see more great work there too smiley

Thanks - but don't put too much store in my maths since it's 22 years rusty and all the fractal stuff is acquired non-academically - my programming is a different matter even though that was also self-acquired  grin

Thanks for watching - it's greatly appreciated !

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: