Logo by S Nelson - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 07:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Rendering 4k videos  (Read 1220 times)
Haven
Forums Freshman

« on: November 12, 2015, 12:52:30 AM »

Hello,
I wonder if anybody tried to render 4k UHD (4096x2160) videos in FE, mainly using the Julia sequence. The codecs in the program are having huuuuge problems with it, so far only one works and not all the time and not fully (the lossless codec, i cant remember the full name now). Is there a way to somehow add more encoders, more modern ones?

thank you a lot smiley
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 03:34:20 AM »

havent used this program, sounds like more nonportable old windows stuff  snore  you would of course want to use a modern codec like h264 or h265 for 4k, though h265 encoders arent totally up to snuff yet.  does the program let you dump frames individually?  thats always the way to go anyway.
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 04:32:23 AM »

Wise quaz0r is yet again correct. The way to go with FE  is  by creating the FE .bmp batch files then load into something like VirtualDub.    From memory FE had some cool stuff, it allowed you to write some custom formulas and you could do zoom, morphing  and zero to bailout animations. 
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 04:50:10 AM »

also you can look at

http://www.fractalforums.com/fractal-explorer/fractal-explorer-animation/

Here is an extract

Now an alternate way which is quite useful is with the AVI setup window you have the option of ticking the "Save seperate frames box" and choosing BMP, Jpeg, PNG etc)

Instead of an AVI you get a batch file of images anim0000 etc which will appear in the ANIM subfolder in FE. From this you can use VirtualDub to make your animation. (BEWARE the files in this folder are overwritten next time you use it so move them if you want to keep them).

Whats also good about this method is that you can open the ANIM folder and watch each image appear as hey are rendered and see the flow of your animation. (Its also good way of hunting for a nice still image. Set it up, walk away and come back later to view).

I can not remember if you can get 4K resolution.
Haven
Forums Freshman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:31:42 PM »

Hello,
thx for the tip. So far I had no luck adding new codecs into the ones already in the program. There is a bunch of them including H.264, but most of them are not even working. I tried to download H.265, but the program didnt find it, thus i guess it just comes with a bunch of codecs and thats it. I was playing with rendering videos, rendering 4k images is no problem (i think the biggest i managed to render when testing the limits was 10kx10k or 10kx12k, bigger sizes give an error msg). As far as videos go, atm the program gives me about 20secs of 4k video. I tried rendering longer (30secs and 60secs), but it always gives around 20secs and then nothing or (for 60secs renders) the video was often unreadeble or it was just a mess. I think the problem might be in the fact, that the program cant create a bigger file then something around 4.2 gigs, that was usually the biggest size i got regardless whether it was 30 or 60sec video. Not sure how big are 4k videos though as i never worked with them before.
anyway, I will definitely try to render just the frames and see if it gives the full output like that, seems like much more stress free method than trying to solve the codecs cheesy thx a lot! smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: