Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 07:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: shader project - glsl DE function collection  (Read 8096 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: June 09, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »

hi all, my shader project has undergone the first few steps, what i have so far is a include/interface include mechanism that generates include opportunities based on implemented interfaces cheesy
and a parameter edit mechanism similar to fragmentarium/synthclipse for vector and float parameters

so far so good, now i would like to build up a collection of DE functions for the classic fractals, what are the latest and most efficient glsl (webglsl) implementations for mandelbulb/mandelbox ?

huh? kiss

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »

hi all, my shader project has undergone the first few steps, what i have so far is a include/interface include mechanism that generates include opportunities based on implemented interfaces cheesy
and a parameter edit mechanism similar to fragmentarium/synthclipse for vector and float parameters

so far so good, now i would like to build up a collection of DE functions for the classic fractals, what are the latest and most efficient glsl (webglsl) implementations for mandelbulb/mandelbox ?

huh? kiss

I collected a pile of complete shaders over the years (not just DE) in https://code.google.com/p/boxplorer2/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fcfgs%253Fstate%253Dclosed
For instance here https://code.google.com/p/boxplorer2/source/browse/trunk/cfgs/boxplorer/fragment.glsl#49 is Rrrola's old DE for mandelbox. But that's full glsl, some minor discrepancies with webgl might exist.

This old glslsandbox one has a bunch of them nicely listed and webgl ready: http://glsl.herokuapp.com/e#1843.1
laser blaster
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:40:31 AM »

The fastest Mandelbulb DE functions avoid trig functions, but then you're stuck with a fixed power. I tried the non-trig formula found here https://github.com/niavok/glsl-factory/blob/master/shaders/mandelbulb/f.glsl, and even after a few optimizations, it was only about 20% faster than the default trig versions found in Fragmentarium. So at least for me it's not really worth losing the ability to set the power as a parameter. But maybe it would make more of a difference on older GPU's- I attached the .frag file if you want to try it yourself. Otherwise, the version included in Fragmentarium seems pretty optimal as far as trig formulas go.

* MandelbulbNoTrig.frag (5.43 KB - downloaded 300 times.)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »

ah, thank you people, my plan is to extract just the DE functions, equip them with user interfafe slider definitions and ready to go wink
quite a system i am building, dumping all the work in a huge glsl script

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: