Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 06:18:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber v2 installation, Mac  (Read 14993 times)
rawbear
Forums Newbie

« on: September 10, 2014, 09:37:13 PM »

After downloading "mandelbulber_v2_002_x86-64_alpha.dmg" from SourceForge, the instructions are to "Double click on install script" and "Drag the icon to application folder."

Upon following the first instruction, a Terminal window opens and asks for a password but there is no response to the keyboard. If the Mandelbulber 2 icon is copied to the Applications folder anyway, and opening the application is attempted, a much-improved interface appears but with the following error message: "Error: Can't open file /usr/share/mandelbulber//qt/fractal_mandelbulb.ui Fractal ui files can't be loaded."

Clicking "OK" results in Mandelbulber 2 crashing.

Are there additional instructions anywhere? Or is the alpha release defective?

FYI: OS X 10.9.4
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:45:24 PM by rawbear » Logged
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »

Upon following the first instruction, a Terminal window opens and asks for a password but there is no response to the keyboard.
Welcome to the forum. I think it's a problem with your password. By default terminal does not display the password asterisks and does not give you any feedback.
Just type your password and press Enter when asked to.
rawbear
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:17:08 AM »

Thanks! Well, that worked. It seemed as if Terminal was not responsive so I hadn't hit the Return key which did the trick. Duh.
SomethingN3WFilmer
Forums Newbie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »

Hey guys,
I'm having the same issue, opening it up and getting the same error, but I'm not seeing any terminal window pop up. Help?

(Sorry I don't know much about terminal or coding..... -_-)
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »

The issue has been fixed but I write down what to do here just in case somebody has the same problem.
First get mandelbulber's .dmg file, double click it and a window would appear with the Application, an install file and a link to your Applications folder. Then double click on install file. A Terminal window will  open asking for your password, type your password then drag and drop mandelbulber's icon to your Applications folder.
http://www.howtogeek.com/177619/how-to-install-applications-on-a-mac-everything-you-need-to-know/
VibratingMotorGate
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »

Do I have to go through the terminal to do this? Last time I tried this I couldn't type in the password. I would like to install, but last time I just wasted hours trying to figure it out even after looking at this page. A clean and painless install would be nice.
ImmortalAngel
Forums Newbie

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

Hey! I know this topic is old but i seem to still have this problem despite a brand new imac with the latest software .. When i double click the installation file it asks me if i really want to proceed cause its form the internet blabla i click OK and then the icon of the installer just stays in the dock for a second and disappears. No opening of terminal or asking for the password.. If i proceed putting mandelbulber into apps it starts up with the cant load mandelbulb thingy. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? ps i also downloaded the previous version and tried and redownloaded the new and retried etcetc but nothing speem to work .__.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »

...despite a brand new imac with the latest software ..

With mac, that is often more of a problem than a benefit   sad

Their updates often cripple recent and older software and it can take programmers time to update stuff for compatibility, assuming they also have the latest OS for testing.

That said, I no longer have a mac, so I can't say anything more to help.  Hopefully a Mandelbulber user with a mac will reply soon with more useful information.

Oh yeah...  Welcome to the forums   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
ImmortalAngel
Forums Newbie

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »

Thank you smiley

Yeah on a side note, tried installing mandelbulb3D on my old macbook pro (late 2013, el capitan 10.11.6) AND the new imac (late 2015, sierra 10.12) and on both it just started up (the winskin icon in the dock) and disappeared/crashed within a few seconds. Seems like it really might be something software related .. and the macbook is already bugging me with a new software update again .__.
Been playing with the thought to go to PC before buying this mac (as for private i mainly use it for c4d, daz3d and similar rendering stuff) but work-wise a mac is still the better choice i think, specially since ive been on macs now for quite a while ...
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »

huh? Are you sure you are talking about mandelbulber and not about mandelbulb3D? in mandelbulber there's no terminal involved no more, just first click on install.app and you will find the app installed, no password is needed.
ImmortalAngel
Forums Newbie

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »

didnt work sadly, so i went searching for reasons why it wouldnt and found this with the terminal, even though its for older versions..
tried downloading&installing mandelbulber AND mandelbulb3D several times but no success .__.
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »

this should fix it  smiley
http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/
ImmortalAngel
Forums Newbie

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »

no luck..
been control+right click opening apps from unidentified developers on my last 2 macs for ages but hoped the terminal thing would maybe fix some even deeper "locks" however nothing changed when redownloading and reinstalling both mandels. Guess my computer is cursed .__. Even my bff who's programer and apple developer has no real clue, it seems to work on his macs 
But thank you a lot for trying to find a solution <3

Just got an "update software" notification .. maybe it will miraculously fix the issues *hope dies last lol*
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »

First make a backup of your files created with mandelbulber and then double click on uninstall.app, then start the installation again. It should work. (:
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »

Some questions/notes on 2.09-3 on OSX.
1/ The installer script actually does not work for me (on Sierra). Simply nothing happens. I had to manually copy data.
2/ There's a problem or something missing for EXR support. Whenever I start rendering animation with EXR the program crashes. I suspect some libraries are missing? I downloaded latest bins from sourceforge.

Other than that I am very happy to see PNG/EXR support, alpha channels, normals and transparency. Exactly what I needed two years ago wink

Thanks!

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: