Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 05:37:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Twistor  (Read 12294 times)
Description: some notes on Hermann Grassmann's Ausdehnungslehre 1844
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »

No matter how they explain it away the Grassmann twistor is a rotation of space. In this view there is no justification for discarding the imaginary part.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUft1l6Xrjw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kUft1l6Xrjw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGVue66jVBs&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wGVue66jVBs&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

I post this to illustrate a great misconception in the teaching of rotation using vectors. The misconception derives from the unwillingness of physicists to accept Newtonian analysis. At the same time it gives me a chance to make clear what Newton meant by centrifugal force.

Today many eminent physicisypts go so far as to claim newtons centrifugal force was erroneous. This is because they confuse a model with reality! Newton made it plain in his introduction that this was a mistake.

Newton recognised that to decompose circular motion requires 3 not 2 vectors. Two vectors are collinear but contra( centripetal and centrifugal) plus one that is orthogonal to both. This is always the tangent vector.

Introducing this reference frame you can better understand the dynamics of rigid rotation . Necessarily Newton states that the forces involved in rotation must include impulse forces. While it is possible to posit some continuously varying force or system of forces it is also physically possible for a similar path to be " force" by an impulsive , or vibrating or " undulatory" system!

Given rigid rotation is not as you have been lead to believe it is easier to understand fluid or vorticular rotations in fluids as impulsive or continuously varying pressure systems.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »

The Laplace transform is also a Grassmann form.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRy8xxvsZA4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MRy8xxvsZA4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Clearly Hermann was aware of LaPlace as well as Larange.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »

I have spent some time apprehending the Fourier story, as well as the Fast Fourier Transform. The historical perspective is helpful.

One source linked the idea to Laplace as Fouriers teacher, but this soorce explains the interactions in more detail.

http://todayinsci.com/F/Fourier_JBJ/FourierPoliticianScientistBio.htm#series

We find that Fourier worked on various forms: bar,annulus, sphere and prism . When he tried to use the Fourier transform to describe the temperature gradient Lagrange objected. So his full ideas were written in an unpublished memoir. Of the forms the annulus and the sphere are to me the most fundamental, but the method itself clearly derives from rotationally dynamic systems . The important thing was the notion of period.

I think this term is misleading because the derived  ratios are trigonometric and relate to a static form. Thus the superposition is always defined over a spatial region and should be called the bound form. Because of the nature of the description several parameters are used which means that the transform is inherently multidimensional

The introduction of t as a 4 th dimension  in 3d case is misleading, if it is considered as time. It is another dimension that is used to coordinate data sets that describe a bound form. But in the 1 dimensional case it is precisely a parametric dimension used to "represent" time.

From Fouriers conception this method was a way of modelling or describing a form.

While it is correct to cite Euler, the true source of these ratios are the ancient Greeks, who derived trigonometry from Pythagorean philosophy and more ancient astrological practices. The works of Ptolomey in his Almagest particularly inspired the Indian astrologers to develop the sine ratio from the chord ratio.. The Arabic and Islamic scholars then initiated a centuries long calculation of the sine ratios for the right triangle in the semicircle. In the course of this the binomial expansion was developed and eventually the Multinomials expansion was studied in the formulation of spherical trigonometry and spherical geometry.

In Europe these things were hardly known, but in the Islamic and Indian traditions Multinomials forms were discussed in "algebra" , that is symbolic arithmetic, as a result of developing methods and algorithms to calculate the sine ratios by difference formulae. This is what is referred to as interpolation. However Newton and his acolytes De Moivre and Cotes, excelled in this area. In fact DeMoivre was accepted into the Royal Academy due to his astonishing papers on Multinomials! Both he and Newton shared a private joke. Newton had instructed De Moivre in this published but generally unread area of mathematics!

Further, in his mathematical papers and Waste book it is clear that Newton developed a deep apprehension of spherical trigonometry of the unit sphere and unit circle, and the imaginary magnitude Sqrt(-1). It is also clear that Cotes together with DeMoivre took this to the furthest extent in the theorems on the roots of unity.

That Euler, the Bernoulli's and Lagrange were aware of this is undoubted, but it was not in their nature to give credit where it was due! This is something Fourier decried. Thus with this background we can see that Fourier made great use of available mathematical methods to support his own methodical investigation of heat transfer. Clearly inspired by Newtons observations on temperature he developed his geometrical differential forms in an attempt to describe the " form" of heat in certain bound forms. The logical objection to his initial concepts derive specifically from his spatial description. Heat transfer clearly has to be dynamic. He corrected one differential from a spatial into a time varying one, but few noticed or even understood the difference.

In effect he had created the first formulation of " wave" mechanics, but it was not until Helmholtz, Lord Kelvin and Lord Rayleigh that a corpus of able physicists were able to draw out the incredible applicability of what he had done. We might also include Navier and Stokes who struggled to describe fluid motion by differentIal equations which had simplistic solutions in this form.

It is an important aside that Kelvin was a great advocate of Fouriers analysis and his series. He apparently mastered it within a short period and felt it was of fundamental significance. He developed his own kinetic theories on the back of it. Thus his bitter opposition to Hamiltonian mechanics, based as it was on" nonsensical" imaginaries was in part fueled by his abreaction to the general ignorance of the Fourier transform.

When Gibbs, an American acolyte of Kelvin developed the fledgling vector analysis of mechanics which relied not on imaginaries but on good old trig  ratios he fully supported Gibbs baudlerised version of Grassmann algebras!

Further he lead a private campaign against the use of Quaternions, forcing Maxwell to recant his erstwhile proclamation of them. The debacle ends when the American academies decline the introduction of Quaternions into the curriculum in favour of Gibbs vector and statistical mechanics, supported by Kelvin.

This is one of many shameful incidents in Academia. However, in Europe the value of Grassmanns analytical and synthetical method was being fully appreciated. Bill Clifford in England was among a number of English academics who were heavily influenced by the Prussian adoption of Grassmanns style. Consequently the imaginaries were never divorced from the original Grassmann lineal Algebra of Strecken.

This had a profound effect on the study of the Barycentric calculus and how it was presented, and the study and development of the Fourier transform, as well as the Laplace transform. These innovations did not pass Lord Rayleigh by and helped him considerably in his notes on Wave Mechanics.

Today the Fourier transform is hard to explain without the imaginaries, although it was and still is a fully trigonometric analysis. Its meaning however is more clearly expressed in Grassmann Ausdehnungs Größe, or what I now call Grassmann Twistors.

Grassmann twistors, in fact the whole Grassmann methods derive from a bound form: the line segment. This line segment is of 2 Types: ordinary and trigonometric. It turns out that circle arc segments can be represented by these trig line segment in a modified product sum AB + BC= AFC  where AFC is an arc segment described by 3 points and AB , BC and BF are radii of the arc.

It is to be noted that this product sum encompasses the notion of a rotation being representable as 2 reflections or a single reflection in intermediary line segments or radii. But i am more convinced as time goes on that Grassmann thought of rotation as a projection of a line segment onto another or into another 'position". The trig line segments as vertical projections thus record this rotation. In this sense the cosine laws are projections onto other line segments but clearly elliptical or even hyperbolic.

Of these trig line segments the simplest are those in the unit circ le or sphere, and they represent circular arc dynamics..

In the context of this representation of rotation the "sign" takes on a differemt meaning. In a single line segment the "sign" represents a half rotation about some arbitrary and unspecified point. The principal orientation is preserved but the principal direction is contra in that orientation.

Howeer in a product of 2 line segments the sign" represents a "quarter " turn . To be precise it represents a cyclical rotation of the points by 1 out of the 4 possibilities, that is the next in the cycle. So far from meaning negative in the contra sense it actually means a rotation! Thus when we annihilate AB with BA w are in fact not making physical sense, because the form exists but not in its original orientation.

For example, if i turn a picture from portrait into landscape position the object still exists! However negation is really only about a discounting process, it annihilation! This is why our math often gives the wrong result in physical reality, because objects or entities do not appear and disappear as we imagine from relying on the math!   These sculptures represent a Fourier / Laplace transform method with the transform and its inverse. The form is aome kind of vorticular spiral the inverse just demonstrates that the Fourier/ Laplace consists of small products that do not exceed the bailout condition, doing the inverse recovers the original form.

I have to say i had no idea what the original form was, as i simply made up a geometric series of Fourier coefficients!
f=1*exp(z-c)+0.5*exp(2*z-c)+0.25*exp(3*z-c)
z=f*exp(-1*z)+c

* fftwav.png (14.78 KB, 320x240 - viewed 198 times.)

* fftwavinverse.png (36.54 KB, 320x240 - viewed 229 times.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:44:46 PM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2014, 01:07:29 PM »

f=1*exp(z-c)+0.5*exp(2*z-c)+0.25*exp(3*z-c)
z=f*(exp(-1*z+c)+1*exp(-2*z+c)+0*exp(-3*z+c))+c

This is a full version.

It turns out that in the mandelbrot type that final c outside the exponentials is important for visualisation.
By inspection you will note that i can remove the contributing exponentials by zeroing them.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »

This video about gimbal lock is interesting in terms of Quaternions.

Gimbal lock results from poor notation
 If we name a rotating axis x then we confuse it with a lineal axis x! As you see the " axis" is really a 2 dimensional polygon or circle. This Grassmann identifies as a fixed plane of swivelling, analogous to the fixed direction of displacement.

The key then is not to label the rotation axes as axes, but as planes .
Thus labelling the plane xy indicates clearly the rotation track..

The three planes  of interest( ie,  we will include but not identify the negative directions) are xy,xz and yz.

Without the confusion caused by using a normal to these planes as an axis of rotation it is clear how the Rotation proceeds.

Now gimbal lock occurs when the planes are not independent but nested. Normally axes are independent and the function or relation depicts the dependency of the parameters. Of course the question is what are the parameters in the plane?

The simplest parameters are arc magnitudes or polygonal perimeters. We can then relate a point on the arc magnitude in plane xy to a point on an arc magnitude in plane xz and finally to a point on the arc magnitude in yz.

To plot such a combined point we have to drop out of the rectangular frame and the polar coordinate frame  in our minds, where we have been taught to use parallel and concentric displacements to mimic or model dependency.

In a circular arc magnitude frame within fixed planes we have to generalise the dependency process.

We can consider the other arc segments as moving rotating by the third. However in the Euler system this coupling is " unlocked " in our minds, and so in our computers. Thus we get gimbal lock by uncoupling one of the planes from the other 2!

Hamilton's Quaternions have 6 planes  of rotation. Because the 4 th axis is actually not fixable as orthogonal to the other 3 orthogonal axes this axes can actually be fixed in any relative orientation? Choosing such an orientation always gives us a maximum of 6 planes of rotation. Usually this is too much for mathematicians to idle with so they do not uncouple the structure and hence we do not get gimbal lock!

I have to say that Grassmanns analysis has proved invaluable in clarifying this in my mind, though I have been working towards this for some time,
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zc8b2Jo7mno&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/zc8b2Jo7mno&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

As you see the nesting means gimbal lock cannot be avoided. But always rotating 2 by the third releases the lock. That does  mean rotating 2 axes not 2 rings .
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:35:18 AM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2014, 04:03:20 AM »

In most physical or viscous situations there is a difference between rotation and twist. Twist involves at least 2 counter rotations . Thus I feel Twistor as a general name ought really to refer to that intubation. The single exponential I will call a gyre. Thus a Twstor for me is at least 2 counter gyres.

How are they combined?

I have 2 ideas . A lineal combination seems the mst logical, in that the two gyres are distinct. However the combination devolves down to a line segment sum. Thus it must be a three dimensional line segment sum .

The question is: should it be a  sum of opposite gyres or a subtraction of opposite gyres?

The other alternative is a gyre product. This means the exponents will directly cancel or subtract from one another. However if the twist is is two contra gyres in one plane only the other planes are free to move independently and can gyre as they please. This is of interest but somehow does not " feel " like an effective or physical twist, but rather an opposition of Newtonan motives.of rotation, Newtonian fluid motives.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2014, 10:18:56 PM »

Trying out the definition of twistor as 2 contra gyres gives the following sculptures.

One is the mandy procedure the other a julia. The mandy is also a product of quotient operators or Grassmann gyres while the julia is a sum of gyres/

* twistmandy.png (56.04 KB, 320x240 - viewed 320 times.)

* twisttestb.png (138.22 KB, 320x240 - viewed 309 times.)

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »

It is important to note that Newton did not originate the notion that Descartes Vortex explanation of the motion of planets was wrong. Newton merely ailed  to be able to demonstrate that it was a foundational idea. We see from this quote that " students of Newton twisted his work to their own ends.
The reader is tempted immediately to interpret this as meaning "when the wire is carrying a current," but the "electrical conflict" to which Œrsted attributed the magnetic effect had little to do with the modern concept of electric current. As we shall see below, it is precisely from Œrsted’s experiment that Ampère was led to define "electric current" as a circulation of electrical fluid(s) in a closed circuit.
So, there was a direct relationship between electricity and magnetism. This link was sought out by Œrsted who, sensitive to the "romantic" vision of nature then predominant in Germanic countries, long had maintained the unity of physical phenomena. He even had argued the idea that electricity was at the heart of this unity. But in Paris, mathematicians and physicists such as Laplace, Poisson, or Biot were convinced of the complete independence between electricity and magnetism. Certainly Coulomb had shown that electrical and magnetic forces followed laws identical to that of Newton for gravity, these three forces decreasing as the inverse square of the distance. But, there was hardly more reason to believe in a connection between electricity and magnetism than to believe in a magnetic attraction between the Earth and the Moon.
Moreover, the revolving character of the observed effect was astonishing. Newtonian forces acting between masses, between electrical charges, or between magnetic poles, are directed along a straight line joining the interacting elements. Œrsted’s experiment did not fit into this framework. If one overcame the magnetic effect of the Earth on the needle, as Ampère soon would achieve, the needle actually turned to be perpendicular to the wire, as if it were driven by a vortex turning around the wire. The vortices that Œrsted evoked harkened back to those that Descartes claimed to explain celestial motions, and these seemed to be a step backward to outdated science. Rare were those physicists who accepted Œrsted’s vortex explanation.
http://www.ampere.cnrs.fr/parcourspedagogique/zoom/courant/electrodynamique/index-en.php

It is thus clear why the lineal algebra heavily relies on the straight line segment and the trig line segment .

Despite Eulers work on the arc , and that of DeMoivre and Cotes there was little enthusiasm for a spherical or circular arc analysis of the physical phenomena.

Understand this one simple point. Mathematics is a human creation that follows the predilection of its creators.

Despite the fancy notation and extreme regard mathematics is as philosophical as any philosophy and as experimental as any experiment. It derives from our mechanical interaction with space and our tendency to be lazy. Thus we call the product of laziness perfection, elegance and some other such epithets.

This is not a bad thing perse for we need to keep things simple, but as soon as we ascribe laziness to natural events we are in trouble! Nature is extremely busy, intricate and detailed. It is a complex fractal and no lazy man will fathom it.

However that is not to say that the repeated and diligent application of simplicity  at all scales cannot reveal some of the complexity of and beauty in our space.

Ampères electrodynamic theory is a fractal theory of loops, and it underpins modern electromagnetic theory and the concept of matter as a system of corpuscles, atoms molecules energies etc.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:50:30 AM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2014, 05:27:40 AM »

The trig line segments are a historical device used by mathematicians of great ingenuity : Laplace, Lagrange, D'Alembert , who believed there was no circular or spherical force in nature.

You must examine yourself, as I have to see how infected you are with that belief system. It is very difficult to avoid years of training without some effort.

The significance of Örstrds findings , and his philosophy dd not penetrate my mind until I did the research on Ampère. What I have believed and promoted as fundamental, namely relative rotational motion , and which I make this reasonable argument for:- if there is only straight line translation, then all things can move in only 2 directions., for to move in any other is an implicit rotation. This implicitly contradicts the notion of only straight line translation; this is demonstrable around a wire and indeed in any tornadic system, but simply in eddys and vortices in running water.

However to start with relative rotational motion presents no implicit difficulty with translation in straight lines.in any orientation or indeed in any curve.

What is the fundamental natural rotation? It is not the spheroid! The mushroom headed smoke ring like torus is the fundamental natural rotation.

Mechanically speaking a rotation cannot occur without a radial quantity and an arc quantity. Thus a radius thdt swings in an arc is a potent symbol of a natural dynamic.

Examples: an explosive event sees a plume Nader pressure push out in all directions, formin thr top of a mushroom or a bell shaped curve. The radial pressure is pretty constant, but then the bell orm becomed buoyant in a higher density environment. As it lifts the plume pressure in the direction of levity is enhanced by higher density pressures. This accelerates the bell shape and radial pressures in the belly are counteracted external denser pressured. The resulting gradient reveals the rotational pressure in the bell which curls the bell inwards into a vortex ring structure.

Torque is the usual but inadequate model for this behaviour. It requires one to posit a memory for parts of space which have to remember where to move in a dynamic system!

We cannot have rotation without a radial that acts to define the Spaciometry of many arcs. We may have many varying radil and thus several arcs and several inherent rotating pressures which typically feel like mushroom surfaced plumes and bubbles,

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:14:48 PM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »

Plumes and vortex rings are the fundamental rotational structure.

The plumes are equivalwnt to radii and the vortex ring in the mushroom head equivalent to the arc. However this is where we get real, and recognise our perfected geometry only provides labelling terms.

the reality of rotation is a physical phenomena not a geometrical one , thus we who are accustomed to representing force by a geometrical form to whit a line segment are in trouble. The mechanical apparatus we use to draw our circles ought to have taught us a lesson. Circles are realised by mechanical principles. the chief mechanical principle nowadays is energy, but back in Newtons time it was Pressure. Pressure was reduced to force or vis in latin without loss of implication, and could equally be used to describe emergy work and many other such notions

However, over time the force measure came to be stated As force, a thing Newton warned against, but few took heed, However, before that happened it was common to understand that pressur was reciprocally proportional to surface area in its dynamic effect or vis.

Many issues due to their symmetry could be "solved" without recourse to the surface area of a body, but in fluid dynamics this was not possible/ The use of area was as mathematical as possible, little consideration was given to the physical reality. Thus a pressure measure was derived simply by dividing a force measure. It was known that the pressure in a fluid was the same on all the sides of the container under pressure, but this gave no preferred direction and so sn line segment could represent pressure.

Bernoulli found that in a moving fluid the pressure was not equal on all sides ofthe container, and hydrostatically this was also not true, Few therefore paid any attention to the orthogonal differential in the "forces" that constitute a general fluid pressure profile. fluid pressure in an uncompressed fluid is not equal in every direction, but rather equal in planar surfaces. this means that fluids in motion never have a uniform pressure profile , and therfore will not support a uniform pressure while in motion.

Bernoullis findings are obscured under conservation laws, but the pressure differential in fluids is real but poorly described at the elementary level.

If a plume of water say rises up from the depths, the pressure in that plume is not equal. The lower part of the plume will tend to drive the higher part to spread out due to its greater pressure. similarly the core of the plume will move under greater acceleration than the outside of the plume where pressure equilibrium dynamics with the environment will e occurring. The top of the plume will thus fan out from the centre forming a familiar mushroom head initially, but then external pressure dynamics will shape the head into the familiar vortex ring providing the internal and external pressure dynamics and the material viscosity pressures allow. Often in water the head forms into a spherical ball that pinches off as equilibrium is reached. The lower column drops away and the spherical ball reveals its higher energy or pressure content by continuing on before it too achieves dynamic equilibrium and falls back,

The plume thus actas as a mechanical system that transmits pressure to where a circular or spherical arc can be generated by dynamical interactions. Consider now that the compass mechanism does precisely this by transmitting human pressure, manual. to the point of the pencil or marker which now opposes frictional forces to deposit the shale on the paper, or shear the surface.

We cannot understand  rotation without understanding pressure. 

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2014, 06:51:36 AM »

In modelling pressure the concepts of absolute and differential or gauge pressures become important.

It is important to establish a pressure gradient as this is often an empirical data set which underpins further model building and interpretation. Pressure gradients , like temperature measurement gradients are often calle scalar data sets. While scalar data sets are often also called potential data sets  it is important to realise that they are empirical measurements or the formulae to determine an empirical measure.

Because they are empirical measurements it is often or gotten or not explained that the Barycentric methods are most applicable to any summation or aggregation. Thus the atmospheric pressure at a height is a hydrostatic measurement. The mass of the air at the surface is a Barycentric sum of ll the particles in a test volume from the top of the atmosphere down.  Each point as it descends in a vertical track " gains " mass, that is it is weighted with a greater factor than one above it, and corresponds to a Grassmann weightpoint or weighted point.. Because of this one can sum the atmosphere by evaluating the weight points in a volume close to the surface.

Traditionally the mass of the column is given by a density factorisation of the volume.( or density volume product if you prefer), but the density is then a mysterious ratio, which in fact is defined by use of Archimedes principle. In fact it is better to consider each point as a Barycentric sum of a line , tht is as a Schwerpunkt. We can then see immediately how a directed line segment derives from such a scalar data set at each line segment initial point. The irected line segment pointing own indicates a mass gradient that is increasing . The same line segment is used to represent increasing " gravitational" acceleration . The same line segment in meteorology is used to represent the pressure gradient while the line segment pointing upwards is used to represent the pressure force gradient..

The multiple uses of the same line segment should be related to the Barycentric method. The exception is the gravitational acceleration, which is defined to vary by the inverse square. This means the empirical data set in a Barycentric line in fact is a sum of inverse square weighting factors.  We do not notice that the weight of an object gets less as we lift it, but surprisingly lifting a pendulum clock can illustrate this difference empirically in the difference in the time of swing.

Barycentric modelling is thus fundamental to understanding how a mathematical model captures physical data sets.  This then impacts on more derived models which may involve directed line segment quantities . If those line segments are derived as trig line segments, the hidden Barycentric nature must not be discounted, especially in fluid dynamics and pressure heuristics.

Consider a point A at a lower height in the atmospheric line. If it is moved higher it carries with it it's greater Barycentric factor.  In its new environment it can add aitional mass to the line, creating a line which has a higher potential than its neighbours. The other alternative is it gives up its additional factor to the new height producing a disturbance or perturbation at that point centre! In either case the Barycentric data informs physical expectations ..

Because of this Barycentric interaction with physical phenomena it is crucial not to exclude the rotation of point A. This too has an impact and has a Barycentric description. Grassmanns quotient operators can be summed as Barycentric points, and in that guise they encode rotation of the point. However this summation is akin to the Fourier transform of a spatial form , and this to has implications for empirical data sets.

Currently vorticity is the only measure of rotating material points, but it is not ended as such. Mathematicians have used streamlines and variation between streamlines to define a curl operator, ompletely ignoring the direct spin of a material point! This direct spin is modelled by a Grasdmann twistor.

Placing Grassmann twistors at every point in a data set oes add a complexity, but it should be noted that Fourier transforms do this quite easily nowadays, and the streamline data can be encoded with the same Fourier transform using directed line segments at each point.

The Fourier transform thus represents the needed Barycentric calculus for rotating points and rotational pressure gradients.

These forms  when processed should account for the spiral behaviours in fluids.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »

Norman Eildberger is doing some fabulous work in exploring the dot product and his notion of Quadrance and spread.

In so doing he has adopted a stance against the use of angle measure, which has softened over the years. However I have adopted the view that arc measure and sector area are missing fundamentals in our understanding of space.

Ŵithout adopting the arch restrictions on mechanical solutions to fundamental issues I feel that there is some fundamental comparison I am missing.

For example rolling the circumference of a disc on a flat surface only gives us a right triangle whose area can be formulated in plane geometric terms. Or a differential argument can be used to split a circle into fine sectors which interleaved to give a rectangle of the area of a disc again in geometrical terms related to the plane.

It thus makes sense to set the area of a unit circle as a standard unit. But some insist on making the radius a standard unit of length which then forces aea to be a transcendental value 2\pi.

It makes pragmatic sense to use the diameter as the unit which still makes the area \pi/4.

What are we tring to preserve by doing this? It seems to be the tessalators of the square. Whereas the circle does not tessellate the square does. However this makes no difference to the count of a unit  factoring an area.  Thus a shape that is precisely 4 unit squares is also for unit circles whose diameters are the unit standard.

What does tessellation give us that is valuable?

What does the space between contiguous circles or spheres give us that is valuable?

The conversion factor \pi tells us we are covering up something that is iteratively endless, ad infinitum! That alone is of great value to know. The square obscures all that rich reality, or rather it confines it to its diagonal!. The circle places it on its perimeter. With such a boundary we have the excitement that anything is possible if we cross ove it into fractal space!

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »

I have just reread the Frontespiece to Ausdehnunglehre, and Hermann claims an application to The doctrine of Magnetism. I suspect it will involve twistors so when I come across it I will post it here? wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:31:53 PM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »

String Theory

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCkGD76OEwA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cCkGD76OEwA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCkGD76OEwA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cCkGD76OEwA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

That old bugbear of dimensions! Dimensions mean cut measures. We cut measures in any of an infinite variety of directions and orientations. Plus we have locii that move in all these directions in sequence. Spirals and circular locii are ways of cutting measures.

We can measure any way we like!

Grassmann freed us from 3 dimnsional thinking in 1844.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: