Logo by kameelian - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 02:55:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal Dimension for 2d images  (Read 1561 times)
Description: Motion
dommy
Forums Newbie

« on: March 31, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »

Hi all,

I am new to this topic so pls bear with me whilst i catch up with everyone else.

I have 2 images of the same tree/bush blowing in the wind. I take the difference of these 2 images and a distinctive/repeating pattern emerges. I would like to know if it is possible to calculate the fractal dimension of this image. The goal is to determine whether motion caught between 2 images is a tree/bush blowing in the wind or something else based on the fractal dimension value.

I am using C#.

Any suggestions or pointer would be great.

thanks
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

hi there, and welcome to the forums

fractal dimension calculation can be easy or complex wink

but for a first starter, the bigger the image the better you are, the fractal dimension might be first calculated using the boxcounting dimension,
this is a rather simple task, you take a black and white image and then you decrease the box sizes and count for each box size  ho many
boxes overlap with your image, the dimension is then obtained by applying a loglog or closed fitting line through the obtained results
the idea is that a box of side length 1x1 has 1 square and the halved box length of 0.5 would fit 4 times into the original 1x1 box
i struggled with it as well and the results for images can be rather unsharp or exhibit massive changes due to just 1 pixel shift or something

there is a program called imagej which might be able to do the same thing as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageJ

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
dommy
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »

hi,

Thank you so much or you reply. Especially on Easter!

The image dimension is 352x288.

I shall take a look at that link.

Best...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: