Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 04:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Would someone mind explaining why I'm barred from uploading to the gallery?  (Read 1072 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »

It claims I've exceeded an upload quota of 1 for the day, but it's been over 24 hours since my last upload -- it was 12:09 AM on March 17 and my previous upload was at 12:01 AM on March 16. Explain why I am not only being blocked from uploading, but apparently being lied to about the reason for the block.

Furthermore, the page headings are incorrectly saying it's March 16 11:08 PM when it's now actually March 17 12:19 AM. Is something wrong with the server's clock? You didn't forget to "spring forward" a week or so ago, did you? Though that shouldn't cause a 25-hour day today; it would have had no effect if you forgot and would have caused a 23-hour day a week ago if you remembered.

Regardless, whatever is going on here, I expect things to be back to normal within ten (10) minutes. In particular, I expect to be able to upload an image at that time, unless there is some serious reason why I shouldn't be able to (low on storage at the server?) and in that case I expect someone to come clean and be upfront with the membership that that is the case. Furthermore, I expect never to have the site wag a "naughty finger" in my face ever again, since I do not act in bad faith. Ever. Being not only obstructed in my legitimate, good-faith actions but implicitly chastised for having attempted to do something naughty adds insult to injury and I do not appreciate being treated with such disrespect, especially by a mere machine, which should be subservient to humans.

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:33:25 AM »

The ten minutes are up, and it's still not working.

You have an additional half-hour. If after that time it's still not working and there is still no explanation, I will be forced to presume that someone with authority has turned hostile towards me, for reasons unknown to me, and has chosen to misuse their authority (silently messing with my account privs without a word of explanation != legitimate moderator actions), and that will mean that whoever that is will have to be identified and removed from power.

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:22:46 AM »

Well, it appears to have started working properly now, though still nobody's posted any explanation for what happened.  huh?

Regardless, I find it very disturbing to have been obstructed and accused of attempting a wrongdoing when not only did I act in good faith, but I took specific steps to avoid exactly what happened -- namely, I made sure I waited until it was a later time on the next day than the time indicated for my previous upload. shocked hurt If those steps are no longer sufficient to avoid being accused of trying to cheat the system, then that system is broken.

I must insist that, from now on, if I take specific and self-evidently correct steps to avoid some particular undesired outcome, then that outcome is absolutely verboten. Which really should have gone without saying all along, but apparently it didn't. There are to be no unannounced changes to the rules followed by slaps in the face for not having magically known about them, no bugs that result in false positives from spam filters or any other type of automated naughtiness-detection algorithms, no rugs abruptly pulled out from under me in any way, shape, or form. And I expect all other members to be accorded the same basic level of respect, of course. Filters and detectors should err on the side of presuming innocence. Neither people granted authority, nor software, are to emulate Lucy yanking away the football, as such behavior cannot be justified. Etc.  angry

sad

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »

Furthermore, the page headings are incorrectly saying it's March 16 11:08 PM when it's now actually March 17 12:19 AM. Is something wrong with the server's clock?

Ever considered, that you are not the center of the world? Might be something wrong with your inner clock!

within 10 minutes... and then what???
Pauper!

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »

Ever considered, that you are not the center of the world? Might be something wrong with your inner clock!

The clock here is automatically synchronized to an Internet time server, and automatically has DST applied/deapplied. If there's a wrong clock involved, it's someplace else.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »

hi pauldel, i was sleeping wink there is no special action towards you, consider the server clock might be ticking on a german base, i am unsure how precise the clocking is, and when exactly a new day starts, regarding webspace i can hint you that we have now 50 gigabytes available, without additional costs ....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »

Well, it appears to have started working properly now, though still nobody's posted any explanation for what happened.  huh?

The software threw an error.  It happens.  Nobody's fault at all  (except possibly the original programming team - none of whom are here)  (Complain at the SMF Forum site - link at the bottom of every page on this site!).

I must insist that, from now on, if I take specific and self-evidently correct steps to avoid some particular undesired outcome, then that outcome is absolutely verboten.

You don't have the option of insisting on anything here.  You can ask though.

But the answer will be the same.

If you want completely error free forums, write us code that will never make a mistake.  Create the perfect forum you want, and we'll be happy to install it.

Meanwhile, try to understand that this is what we have because it's free.  If it's not up to your standards, either come to terms with it, make something better, or just politely report the errors without being rude.  Don't Insist on anything because you are in no position to do so.

I, for one, would welcome Perfect, Error Free, forum software and look forward to you finishing your Masterpiece and releasing it for free.  Until then, you must live with the occasional error. 

Getting upset about it will not help anything, and making demands will only alienate you.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: