Logo by stardust4ever - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 05:30:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Using complex neural networks to generate 2D fractals: Thesis Survey  (Read 1899 times)
rrhvella
Forums Newbie

« on: January 06, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »

I am currently working on my undergraduate thesis. It involves the use of neural networks and evolutionary computation to generate 2D fractals.

As part of my thesis I am conducting an opinion survey on a set of 10 images I generated using the algorithm.

I would appreciate it if you could take 3 minutes of your time to answer this survey.

The link to the survey is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MRDWQVG

It involves rating each of the 10 images from 0 to 5.

The survey is anonymous and only takes about 3 minutes to complete.

Your contribution would be greatly appreciated.
eiffie
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »

Done - hope you give us a summary of your thesis when completed - sounds interesting.
I'm also interested in the idea of using nn to decompose surfaces into their fractal components for compression/analysis.
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »

Good luck on your thesis, rrhvella, but can you please explain to me how rating fractal images helps you in evaluating "neural networks to generate 2D fractals"?

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:46:05 AM »

sounds awesome. I really hope we can see your work later on. It sounds mighty interesting.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:39 AM »

i made the survey, perhaps you could describe with some words what you want to do, i would be rather disappointed if your neural network would just zoom/choose colors/vary params .... do you have some way to include hybrid variants into your project !?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
rrhvella
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words and the contribution to the survey.

Eiffie and kram1032,

I plan to release the source code on github once the thesis is done. I'd be happy to also post a summary.

Madman,

The survey is one of my deliverables. One of the aims of my thesis is to create an algorithm which produces aesthetically pleasing fractal art. There is no objective measure of aesthetics, so the next best thing is a survey. However, this is only a supplement to my main deliverable, which is a qualitative analysis of the images generated by the algorithm.

cKleinhuis,

It actually doesn't vary the zoom or the colours. It varies the iterative function used to test for membership in the Mandelbrot set. I'll post more technical details once I submit the thesis.
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:40:55 AM »

Hmm!

Can't say i was inspired, but some were nice.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
asimes
Fractal Lover

asimes
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:51:08 AM »

I liked the idea quite a bit, but if the colors do not vary then why not make the images black and white? Obviously everyone has their own opinion, but personally I don't like the combination colors even though some of the images were interesting.
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »

Be it more direct, yellow and green don't fitts together unless you are good in arts. Green and red or yellow and blue are easy to combine.

fractal catalisator
rrhvella
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »

Thank you.

asimes and alef,

Good point. I actually had grayscale images in the beginning of the project. I thought a static colour palette would be an improvement on that but I've received other complaints about it.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

yeah, the color choice isn't ideal.
Static palettes could bring huge improvements, provided you choose colors that fit together.
I would be careful with green and red or yellow and blue as well though. in my experience, those can bring along quite some troubles on their own.

Things that might work well are "heat gradients", based on blackbody radiation or some additional colors in between two extreme ones to smooth out the gradient in a more pleasing way.

Another idea is to just use black and white but add a color in the middle, so it goes, say, black->blue->white.
eiffie
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »

It would be interesting if you could hook up to the galleries and ratings here and if the formulas were attached your AI could figure out the optimal formula/parameters/colors etc. But lets see if it works on this scale first wink
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »

It would be interesting if you could hook up to the galleries and ratings here
That would be pretty useless, becouse probably you 'll got 0 votes for each  embarrass Fractalforums have it's downside, and that would make it useless for survey. Best in the months, from members of most authority works have 6- 7 votes, and I can guess, all the votes are 5.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:47:13 PM by Alef » Logged

fractal catalisator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: