Logo by Madman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:03:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: An Amazing 3D discovery  (Read 6546 times)
Description: create 3D images merely from adjacent subframes
kameelian
Iterator

« on: July 09, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »

Hi Fractal Folk,

Just incase any of you are interested in reproducing this, I thought I'd tell how an inadvertent 'operator's error' with Stereo Photo Maker (V4.34) has enabled me to create 3D images - without having both the Left and Right eye source material!

I've just had to rush here and share this one with you all because I am so gobsmacked that a simple mistake on my part has given me a quick way of creating very passable 3D images and videos all in little more than the time it takes to create the 2D imagery.

Some history:

In order to save time producing 3D videos, I picked up one of those 2D>3D converters - which can whizz through an entire video in minutes, rather than spending the time rendering it once for each eye. Depending on the scene, it can do a passable 3D but it is only ever going to be giving a slightly left and right perspective of a flat 2D image. It can't see round corners or block things that would not be in view to one eye.
So - it's quick and kind-of-3D but there's not very much 'wow' factor.

On the other hand....
I have also been spending effectively twice the time re-rendering certain old scenes with left eye only (to match existing right), in order to produce the best possible 3D with great depth, which immerses you into the image showing so much apparent detail that is not there in 2D. This really can have a wow factor.
Great results possible, but so time consuming.

So now onto my accidental discovery.
Whilst setting up 'Open left and right images' in Stereo Photo Maker, I inadvertently put adjacent numbers left 0001 and left 0002 together as a left and right pair. Then as I used keyboard shortcut 'A' to step through the paired images, the program automatically paired 0003 with 0004, 0005 with 0006 and so on and - the remarkable thing is - the entire sequence appeared as very passable 3D - even though there is no real logic why it should work so well.

Further brief tests suggested that it does depend on how much movement shift there is between adjacent subframes and the result can give a bit of 'grain' or aliasing where some fine parts of the images don't quite match up as exactly as a true left and right pair would - and you might have to reverse L&R, BUT it is definitely a much better version of 3D than the 2D>3D converter ever did. The beauty of this program is that you can 'fit to screen' or view full size (if you are using two 1920x1080 pictures = 3840x1080) whereas some other programs will make it letterbox to maintain aspect at full width.

You can 'save a stereo image' with no problem. The slightest problem comes when using the multi-conversion batch tool to actually create these as a series of 'independent L-R' single (movie) images, because this tool needs you to select the Left and Right folders. If you choose the same folder for each, it will obviously match up the same image as pairs (no 3D) and so the simplest way (I've found) is to completely copy the entire set into their own folder and remove 0001 from the Right folder (and the last frame from the Left folder - see?). Combine them into their own folder, convert them onto a movie with whatever movie creator you use and Voila! If you are not entirely happy with the result, at least you get an idea of what your 3D might look like before committing to doing it the long way.

Of course this is not everyone's idea of fun, but if you are interested, do try it out with a variety of your images.Some will really work. It can save months of rendering.

I would be interested to see/hear of folks' experience with this, another of my hair-brained methods.

regards
Kam
--OOPS, I guess this thread needs to live elsewhere as it's not really about M3D - but I kinda live in this section and couldn't see anywhere else to put it. sorry.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:18:13 AM by kameelian, Reason: realised thread needs a move » Logged

Mandelbulb3D - Like Christmas Every morning wink
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: