Logo by blob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 07, 2024, 08:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is this place slowly dying?  (Read 3316 times)
Description: ?
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »

I was also wondering on "printing" a fractal formula in the surface of normal solids. For example a gnarly on a cube, sphere, cone ... and whatever  grin ...

If I am not mistaken this can be done with glsl so you could try it in QuadFractal which supports loading of 3D meshes and glsl shaders.

http://flashlight.slad.cz/?page=projects

Eh, such a luxury ... Polygons and stuff, GLSL... It runs on my PC but MB3D is not that complicated... And see how slow it's? smiley

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »

Thing is, the gallery posts lately seem to come from just a handful of userids, instead of the greater variety of even a month or so ago. I wonder why that is? Is there somewhere people have moved on to -- or non-fractal activities?

regarding the gallery restrictions, and in my eyes it has become somehow, mainstream, thus the uploads of 3d fractals to deviantart should have grown ... until now it has been only experienced here in the forums, but they reached a wider range of people ( the mandelbulb3d software has been downloaded roughl 10.000 times including the different versions ) that now begin to share their experiments on their well known publishing grounds, e.g. deviant art

@darkbeam mandelbulb 3d is amazingly fast, with my 6 cores i can really make use of the realtime feature of this cpu only thing! thanks to hand coded asm code wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

@darkbeam mandelbulb 3d is amazingly fast, with my 6 cores i can really make use of the realtime feature of this cpu only thing! thanks to hand coded asm code wink
I don't think he was speaking about m3d, rather he was just saying that what I suggested to him was shit.  undecided
tit_toinou
Iterator

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »

There is still a lot of stuff to be done in fractals and i'm working on my programming/math capabilies to do it.

a few exemples :
- improving speed using GPU
- more research on buddhabrot-like rendering (my favorite)
- pathtracing/pathmarching to greatly improve quality (i still don't get it, but i will work on it (i tried without success for now))
- improving current software (speed and features).
I'm currently working on the buddhabrot.. I agree there is work to do !

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »

@buddhabrot people, be sure to add hybrid forms, and a decent explorer ( point + click to fractal position on a 2d map ... )

@blob dont missinterpret the overeagerness of a coder as insult

i am waiting for the javascript glsl implementation of subblue ....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:53:15 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »

I don't think he was speaking about m3d, rather he was just saying that what I suggested to him was shit.  undecided

No!!! Not "shit", just not very efficient smiley

Anyway it depends on your personal taste, if you like spinning fractals with bricks all over ... You will prefer that software wink

I will not force you to use any soft. But I prefer a faster rendering without all those restrictions (small bailout, one formula, just or quat or hypercomplex...) - Matter of taste smiley - and irony apart some functions of the program are very cool (not portable to MB or any other soft, because the GLSL "implicit programming style" makes everything for the programmer with more ease, but cool) thks for suggesting. smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:31:11 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »

> I'd have thought the opposite -- with most users in the Northern Hemisphere, the winter would favor more indoor activity (such as fractals and forum surfing). So unless most of the contributors are secretly kids that are in school all winter..

I think you underestimate the number of older members and posters - and they're all hard at "real work" trying to recoup the money they had to fork out on the younger element for that ridiculously expensive festival not long ago - bah humbug cheesy

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »

With respect to colourings there *should* be stuff going on - there are still at least 500 colourings available in Ultra Fractal (and/or Fractint and ChaosPro) that are designed as 2D colourings that could be adapted/extended to full-3D but there doesn't seem to be anyone doing this

Actually, Chaoscope has been accepting .map files for 3D Attractors and Fractals for years now.

So there is still hope that .map colorings can be adapted to more places  (like Mandlbulber, Mandelbulb3D, Boxplorer, etc).

Huh ?  No I mean colouring *algorithms* as in UF "*.ucl" files - aren't .map files just gradients ?

In addition many of these types of colourings could be adapted to produce an DE method based on the values normally used for colouring as the solid condition instead of iteration and inside/outside boundary etc. - or indeed for heightfield alternatives.

Plus in addition to alternative ways of colouring the fractal surface they could *all* be used for materials mapping of the fractal surface - for any/all lighting parameters from shininess to bump mapping - even for variable 3D+ translucency/colours etc. within the solid itself wink

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:44:31 PM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »

* would like to see more orbit traps in MB3D *  angel

subblue
Conqueror

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 12:36:21 AM »

i am waiting for the javascript glsl implementation of subblue ....
smiley I've been diverted on another very exciting fractal related project these past few months, which should hopefully be making a very big splash pretty soon. My WebGL fractal stuff is still in the works and I have some fun new stuff I look forward to sharing once it's ready... wink

www.subblue.com - a blog exploring mathematical and generative graphics
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 01:20:59 AM »

smiley I've been diverted on another very exciting fractal related project these past few months, which should hopefully be making a very big splash pretty soon.

A true 3D Mandelbrot set? wink

ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 02:15:06 AM »

@buddhabrot people, be sure to add hybrid forms, and a decent explorer ( point + click to fractal position on a 2d map ... )

Sure, here it is : https://github.com/emmmile/buddha

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »

With respect to colourings there *should* be stuff going on - there are still at least 500 colourings available in Ultra Fractal (and/or Fractint and ChaosPro) that are designed as 2D colourings that could be adapted/extended to full-3D but there doesn't seem to be anyone doing this

Actually, Chaoscope has been accepting .map files for 3D Attractors and Fractals for years now.

So there is still hope that .map colorings can be adapted to more places  (like Mandlbulber, Mandelbulb3D, Boxplorer, etc).

Huh ?  No I mean colouring *algorithms* as in UF "*.ucl" files - aren't .map files just gradients ?

In addition many of these types of colourings could be adapted to produce an DE method based on the values normally used for colouring as the solid condition instead of iteration and inside/outside boundary etc. - or indeed for heightfield alternatives.

Plus in addition to alternative ways of colouring the fractal surface they could *all* be used for materials mapping of the fractal surface - for any/all lighting parameters from shininess to bump mapping - even for variable 3D+ translucency/colours etc. within the solid itself wink

Oh.

I totally misunderstood what was written - I have no idea what I was thinking either.

> I'd have thought the opposite -- with most users in the Northern Hemisphere, the winter would favor more indoor activity (such as fractals and forum surfing). So unless most of the contributors are secretly kids that are in school all winter..

I think you underestimate the number of older members and posters - and they're all hard at "real work" trying to recoup the money they had to fork out on the younger element for that ridiculously expensive festival not long ago - bah humbug cheesy

And a Big Bah Humbug to you too!

Dang those holidays.  They left me unprepared for the emergency expenses to my car and house which followed.

Quote from: Ebeneezer Scrooge
What’s Christmas time... but a time for paying bills without money.

Every awesome dude who goes about with Merry Christmas on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.

bubble gum

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 04:16:34 AM »

Anyway it depends on your personal taste, if you like spinning fractals with bricks all over ... You will prefer that software wink
As if this was my favorite software I use above all else... And as if I loved that sample bricks shader... Man you are incredible...  grin

The point was that if you are really dying for "printing a fractal formula in the surface of normal solids" then writing your own GLSL shaders is presumably the only immediately available way to get there.

I will not force you to use any soft. But I prefer a faster rendering without all those restrictions (small bailout, one formula, just or quat or hypercomplex...) - Matter of taste smiley - and irony apart some functions of the program are very cool (not portable to MB or any other soft, because the GLSL "implicit programming style" makes everything for the programmer with more ease, but cool) thks for suggesting. smiley

I sure hope you are not forcing me to use anything.  grin  And make sure to optimize your m3d formulas because some of them are so slow it's really too bad...  afro

Teasing aside and FWIW, the rendering slowness of QuadFractal depends much on the level of detail the 3D fractal mesh it generates.

And for sure I'd love to have procedural fractal texturing/coloring in m3d of the kind that can be found in QuadFractal or better even in Kerkythea but are we ever going to get that? From what I gather from what you write this can't be done with custom formulas, can it?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »

Sure, here it is : https://github.com/emmmile/buddha

any chance for windows binaries
?

---

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: