Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 09:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: New to Fractals - Best advice?  (Read 1413 times)
mkbrouse
Explorer

« on: January 05, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm a newb to fractals and found Apophysis and Mandelbulb through Deviant Art. I have been able to create some neat wings, with help from a tutorial on Apophysis, and a couple neat ones from a tutorial for Mandelbulb. Thanks so much to the folks who take the time to make tutorials for new people like us to play with!  grin

Since I'm new to all this, are there any good tips for newbs? The mathematical stuff kills me - and everything seems so hard to understand right now. I'm not a programmer - just a "digital artist" and I use that term loosely.  Azn

Mostly what I want to do is create my own really neat background stock to use for other projects. Fractals have me totally fascinated however, and I can see this little adventure chewing up an awful lot of time! Soooo fun!!!

Thanks!
Michelle

Thanks!
Michelle
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »

Hi Michelle and welcome to FF!

Besides tutorials, if you'd like to explore Mandelbulb3D, you can check out this thread which is loaded with sample params: http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-3d/mandelbulb-3d-parameters-list/

There is no particular tip that comes to my mind other than spend time experimenting several programs, and each button, slider, checkbox, dropdown, etc... cheesy

Have fun and feel free to ask questions.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
mkbrouse
Explorer

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:26:33 PM »

Thank you Bib! I shall be playing, there is no doubt.  cheesy

Thank you for the link, I will check it out now.

Thanks!
Michelle
Pangaea
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:11 AM »

Best advice huh? .. well i can give you some advice, although Im far from an expert on them myself, I have had a good deal of experience working with them (not at the math level).. so personaly speaking sitting down infront of a fractal program with something clear and specific in mind  always ends in frustration or disaster.. my advice, especially with fractals, and like fractals themselves is to learn a few basic steps then let the fractals carry you through evolved learning and creativity, rather then trying to force something into something specific. The 3 e`s spring to mind, Exploration --> Experimentation --> Enjoyment... in that order  cheesy

anyway best of luck on your journey

regards
pan
mkbrouse
Explorer

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:14:14 AM »

Thank you Pan,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I took Bib's advice, and played quite a bit. I took all of the parameters and loaded them to see what I got. Then I tried to figure out how to edit them enough to be able to call it a fractal of my own. wink Definitely "The 3 e`s spring to mind, Exploration --> Experimentation --> Enjoyment... in that order" in a big way.

So far I'm loving the journey. Wish I could put more time into it, but right now I play when I can - and try to understand what the heck I am doing. I'm getting there. Still very thankful for the tutorials that others post.

Thanks!
Michelle

Thanks!
Michelle
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: