Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Voxel image stack and then what?  (Read 61911 times)
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »

Here is the 2.2M polygons obj mesh I mentioned above generated in MVE-2 using marchingtetrahedra6 (which seems the best/most faithful surface extractor module I have been able to use in that software) from a 2003 stack.

Rendered in Sculptris at about 4 times the size of the stack, It think it illustrates quite well, with its obvious stratification artifacts, the issues there are with rendering detailed meshes made from stacks at sizes higher than their initial resolution.

Eliminating those artifacts with post-processing in Meshlab/OpenFlipper while retaining a relatively detailed shape is proving to be very difficult to achieve.

* mtetra6sc.jpg (130.33 KB, 785x615 - viewed 365 times.)
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »

Now that you mention it I understand what you mean. To tell the truth, I wouldn't have even thought of creating slices using the animation feature. Of course it's now much easier.
It's been mentioned a few times here and there in the forum and it consisted in using the cutting feature (moving its position throughout an object as an animation) with appropriate color/lightning settings. Of course it's so much easier now.  grin
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

If wondering about max. vertices/faces etc. vs. detail level and quality with respect to different 3D software programs then I'd suggest getting in touch with users of both Terry Gintz' software and Xenodream as they've been exporting to poly-based 3D rendering software since BM (Before Mandelbulb) wink

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 02:02:57 PM »

Has anyone also managed to successfully use MVE-2 or am I the only one?

I downloaded it, and had no idea what to do!  The included exe files seemed to do nothing.  I shy away from anything distributed as "Binaries" because my programming days are so far behind me I have no idea if such things need to be compiled or how to compile them  (I have been away from programming for so long I missed the whole intro of Object Oriented Programming!).

The MVE-2 help files wont open either.

So if it is a better tool, I would need to figure out how to even start the program, let alone make sense of it's modular nature...

On the other hand, I managed to drop a Mandelbulb on a Cow's head!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:24:07 PM by Sockratease, Reason: re-host image » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Teena
Explorer

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »

@Sockratease - Congratulations! That's soooooo funny!  laugh
I had downloaded and installed MVE-2 too but just didn't know what to do. Fiji is much easier to use for a dummy like me.

@David - Exporting fractals as objects is very easy using XD because the necessary tool is part of it. So once the mesh rendering, triangulation and optimization is done you just save the mesh as obj file. Since Garth added the PLY pointcloud format it's even possible to texture the resulting objects in the same colors as in XD using UVMapper and MeshLab. An illustrated tutorial about this texturing procedure is on my website.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »

@Sockratease - Congratulations! That's soooooo funny!  laugh
I had downloaded and installed MVE-2 too but just didn't know what to do. Fiji is much easier to use for a dummy like me.

Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it.

And, Yeah. I need a user interface of some sort (doesn't have to be a graphic interface with buttons and all - Fiji's interface is minimal and menu driven, but makes all the difference for an Old Hippy Brain!) - or a detailed help file for command line software.

@David - Exporting fractals as objects is very easy using XD because the necessary tool is part of it. So once the mesh rendering, triangulation and optimization is done you just save the mesh as obj file. Since Garth added the PLY pointcloud format it's even possible to texture the resulting objects in the same colors as in XD using UVMapper and MeshLab. An illustrated tutorial about this texturing procedure is on my website.

I have an old version of XenoDream...  I need to find a way to upgrade mine from an old trial to the new full version!  (I'm broke until after I get married (then I'll be even MORE broke!)).

You should post a link to that tutorial!

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Teena
Explorer

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »

Here is the direct link to the English tutorial http://teenabiz.de/tutorial_3.htm.
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »

Stop treating that poor cow like that! You rude!!!! fiery

head batting rolling on floor laughing

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »

Stop treating that poor cow like that! You rude!!!! fiery

head batting rolling on floor laughing

Ahhh...  She Likes It!

Didn't even blink...

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »

Here is the direct link to the English tutorial http://teenabiz.de/tutorial_3.htm.

I forgot to post a Thanks for the link!

Very useful information   afro

Thanks!

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2011, 01:54:08 AM »

Thanks - when suggesting consulting users of Terry's software and Xenodream I really meant that such users should be able to give a good guide to the maximum number of polys (+detail level etc.) that it's possible to import from voxel/wavefront/stl/etc. sources into the various different general 3D programs such as Bryce, 3D Studio, Lightwave, Maya etc. - and how much difference things like having a 64-bit system might make including any limitations of 32-bit OSes.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

I'm sure the limits of polygon count and such are dependent on your hardware more than software, but both play a role.

I posted the obj file of the bulb on a free 3D Model site, and the Lovely and Talented WendyLovesCats from Daz3D rewarded the effort with this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6CldamxNv60&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6CldamxNv60&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

The program Poser was able to "clothify" the bulb file for some "soft body physics" which crashed blender, and Carrara's Physics Engines!

And I Never thought somebody would use the read-me file I included as an audio track by using a text to speech thingy!

And this is just a day or 2 after getting the process down!  Great Fun awaits these things in the future...

Teena
Explorer

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »

I had done some tests for Garth in 2009 to find the polygon count limit in XD 2.2. At that time I had 6GB RAM and the max polygon count was around 27 million polygons. Now I have 16GB RAM and I'm testing out the limit right now in XD 2.4. I'll report the result here. If I can load such a monster into Vue 10 I'll post a picture.

Looks really nice, Sockratease! Using the read-me as a sound track is a hoot! I played with different materials in Vue 10 Infinite and liked the glassy mandelbulb very much. smiley
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »

Has anyone also managed to successfully use MVE-2 or am I the only one?

I downloaded it, and had no idea what to do!  The included exe files seemed to do nothing.  I shy away from anything distributed as "Binaries" because my programming days are so far behind me I have no idea if such things need to be compiled or how to compile them  (I have been away from programming for so long I missed the whole intro of Object Oriented Programming!).

The MVE-2 help files wont open either.

So if it is a better tool, I would need to figure out how to even start the program, let alone make sense of it's modular nature...

On the other hand, I managed to drop a Mandelbulb on a Cow's head!

Hehehe, I love this animation!  afro
Which program did you do the bulb with?
I downloaded Slicer, but it seems to be veeeery slow at importing...

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »

Glad you liked it!

I used Fiji to create the bulb.  It's available here:  http://fiji.sc/wiki/index.php/Downloads  I used version 1.45B if that makes a difference in the future)

And if anybody wants one, here's The Mandelbulb obj file:
http://www.sockrateaze.com/stuff/mandelbulb_obj.zip

Animated in Carrara   afro

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: