Logo by Madman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 11:01:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Complex Constant 'C' in Mandelbulb  (Read 1963 times)
Description: How do we choose that complex constant
JVillella
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »

Hello everybody. I began learning about fractals a few weeks back and have been extremely fascinated since. I am currently learning about the Mandelbulb, but am stuck on one of the details. With the Mandelbrot set I would choose c, in z = z^2 + c, in the range [-2.5, 1] for the real part and [-1, 1] for the imaginary part. The screen resolution would then be scaled down to this range. With hypercomplex triplex numbers how would I define c? What are the ranges for the x, y, z components. I would truly appreciate a reply. Thank you.
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:43:23 PM »

You are confusing everything imo, smiley you are talking about Julia  set (I think?) and not Mandelbrot set. Anyway no such range exists - but instead you know that the most interesting Julia sets are near to the "contour" of the fractal. In the same moment ... Mandelbrot set has no contours because it's a fractal! So this is the mystery behind all of it wink

How to find this nonexisting boundary you ask? By trial error as always smiley Have fun

Cheers ... Luca

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
JVillella
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:53:50 PM »

You are confusing everything imo, smiley you are talking about Julia  set (I think?) and not Mandelbrot set. Anyway no such range exists - but instead you know that the most interesting Julia sets are near to the "contour" of the fractal. In the same moment ... Mandelbrot set has no contours because it's a fractal! So this is the mystery behind all of it wink

How to find this nonexisting boundary you ask? By trial error as always smiley Have fun

Cheers ... Luca

Hmm, Are your sure? With the complex constant 'C' if we set it to some constant for the entire iteration over every pixel we will get Julia Set. What differentiates this from the Mandelbrot set? Further, that range I spoke of is the range of the complex plane. As we change it do we not get a translated and/or scaled (zoomed) fractal? In addition to this does the Mandelbulb have to raytraced (or some other rendering method)? Or can we simply iterate over every pixel and use the Mandelbulb algorithm + equation (z = z^8 + c)?
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »

Hi JVillella, and welcome to the forums.

If you are asking about where the Mandelbulb is located in triplex space, it is centered at the origin and has approximately unit radius.

But you need to do some kind of 3D -> 2D mapping to draw it (unless you are satisfied with 2D slices), and you'll probably want to use distance estimation.

The following thread might help you get started:
http://www.fractalforums.com/meet-and-greet/new-here-t8773/msg36722/#msg36722
JVillella
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »

Hi JVillella, and welcome to the forums.

If you are asking about where the Mandelbulb is located in triplex space, it is centered at the origin and has approximately unit radius.

But you need to do some kind of 3D -> 2D mapping to draw it (unless you are satisfied with 2D slices), and you'll probably want to use distance estimation.

The following thread might help you get started:
http://www.fractalforums.com/meet-and-greet/new-here-t8773/msg36722/#msg36722

This is perfect! Thank you so much smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: