Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 04:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb on MAC  (Read 31868 times)
Description: What are you doing???
nextdimension
Forums Newbie

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »

This is great. Just downloaded for my new mac. I've had one problem though, It seems to crash sometimes if I minimize it or pause rendering. Any ideas on how to fix that?
slock
Alien

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »

Hi,
I never experienced that kind of problem ...
And unfortunately, I don't have much time nowadays, so I can't really work on it sad
I'll try to figure out the cause of this bug, but I can't promise anything as of now ...
nextdimension
Forums Newbie

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »

Thats cool, it's just kind of a side project for me. I guess I'll just have to not pause or minimize while rendering for now. Thanks anyways cheesy
touchesclouds
Forums Newbie

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »

As a mac user this web site makes feel like an extraterrestrial. I download "MB for Mac" and its an exe ? what gives?
luc2
Forums Freshman

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »

Hi touchesclouds,

Go to this tread you'll be able to run Mandelbulb 3d on your Mac;

http://www.fractalforums.com/multi-platform/run-almost-any-fractal-program-on-mac-!/

Excuse my English, it's not my natural language.
polterbyte
Forums Newbie

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »

Hi,

Old fractal enthusiast here (since 1987, actually), but total noob on Mandelbulb 3D, so please excuse me the very basic question. I have searched a lot for the answer, and am very reluctantly coming here for support. I have tried following the link on the reply above this (made in 2013), but the thread therein referred no longer exists.

I am trying to get Mandelbulb 3D to work on my 2014 Macbook Pro running Sierra, but haven't been successful so far. After copying the software (Wineskin encased) to my Applications folder and trying to run it, all I get is the following error message:

ERROR! cannot write to Info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume.
This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file.

The software is not inside a DMG file, and I believe I have all the necessary permissions to run any software on my computer (haven't ever had any problem in this regard. I have, actually, even tried to run it as the computer's administrator, but to no avail.

Can someone offer any insight on how to run it properly?

Thanks!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »

Hi,

Old fractal enthusiast here (since 1987, actually), but total noob on Mandelbulb 3D, so please excuse me the very basic question. I have searched a lot for the answer, and am very reluctantly coming here for support.

I am trying to get Mandelbulb 3D to work on my 2014 Macbook Pro running Sierra, but haven't been successful so far...

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

Why be reluctant to ask here?  We always try to help where we can.

I used a macbook pro running OSX 10.4 and one running OSX 10.5 (sorry, the animal and place name stuff confuses me) and both ran MB3D perfectly under WINE.  I never needed the one in the mac wrapper.

Have you tried WINE?  

Apart from that, hopefully a more experienced mac user will pop by soon with a better solution for you.

Good luck with it!

EDIT - DUH!

Posted before coffee...

Saw you said wineskin encased after I posted.

To clarify. Get WINE and run it.  Then add the .exe version of MB3D.  Run from within WINE.

Is that what the wineskin encased version does?  I am years away from a mac and forget   cry
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:28:02 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2017, 01:50:19 AM »

Just tried it on a Mac Book with the latest macOS (10.12.4) and was surprised how well it works, even with the new styles!
Used WineBottler because I thought it was simpler than using plain Wine (had no experience with both).
The Mac has less power than my main windows machine, but MB3D works smoother, lol - I'm hooked (again)!

Steps:
Once:
1 Get WineBottler and install it (Drag Wine and WineBottler to Apps)
2 Download MB3D and extract somewhere (doubleclick zip-file)
3 Start WineBottler, switch to Advanced tab
3.1 Select the Mandelbulb3D.exe from the extracted *.zip
3.2 Check the checkbox to include all files in the install
3.3 Deselect the both checkboxes regarding .NET or something (can't exactly remember, but should be obvious)
3.5 Click at the "Finish"-button or whatever it may be called, somewhere chose a name for the app
4 Start a search for the generated app, for me it was created at some crazy path
5 Move the app somewhere you will find it again

To start the app:
6 Rightclick the app, select "Show package", navigate inside it until you see the Mandelbulb3D.exe
7 Double-click it, and confirm the dialog

Probably there are tons of other ways, but this one works reliable for me.

Cheers!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: