Logo by fractalwizz - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Making very weird geometrical forms from 3d base shapes.  (Read 3755 times)
ant123
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:10:28 PM »

I am trying to design a game based on procedural level generation from arranging masses of cones, cubes, spheres, etc into pretty arrangements of form and color.

I have learnt a game engine that can pattern 3d models into radial and ordered distributions, recursive loops, and order things prettily, abit like structure synth except explorable sceneries etc. so i can copy most of the forms made with structure synth in the game engine ,fly around them, walk on them, and also so excellent geodesic shapes that look like 100/200 sided polyhedra, but after that i fall abit flat!!!

I really want some kinds of formulas that can make constructions of say 10 000 cubes or cones etc into shapes like we find in mandelbulbs, with ordered and slowly varying angles, sizes and repetetions based upon themes, except only by instantiating, translating, rotating and resizing models in XYZ rather than making a mesh...

I could use some arrays, easy and fun maths formulas, whatever really! thanks any ideas!!!

* 3d shapes collection.jpg (181.94 KB, 788x1100 - viewed 578 times.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:30:40 PM by ant123 » Logged
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »

Very interesting project!

One of the problems with Structure Synth-like objects is, that you will end up with a lot of polygons.

You should consider using a distance field based method for your primitives - you can render all distance estimated fractals and combine them with standard primitives (spheres, cylinders). Geometrical transformations (e.g. twisting) and instancing is very cheap. Here is an example with an infinite number of Mandelbulbs instanced on a plane with different parameters (which runs in real-time on a decent GPU):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/syntopia/6227195447/in/photostream/

The downside is, that it is slightly harder to implement: the rendering and distance estimation must be done on a GPU for realtime speed, while any in-game collision detection and game logic must be done on a CPU.
huminado
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »

if you can render a texture in the game engine (real-time) and apply the texture to a simple 3D object, it might solve what Syntopia talks about for collision detection.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: