Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:38:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Did Benoit know about Fractalforums.com?  (Read 1859 times)
Description: some research questions
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« on: October 24, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »

"[A] friend of mine ... told me, ‘Look, you create a new field, you are entitled to give it a name.' So, I had Latin in high school and it turned out that one of my sons was taking Latin in the United States, and there was a Latin dictionary in our house, which was an exception. I went in there and tried to look for a word which fitted what I had been working on. And when I was playing with the word fraction, and looked in the dictionary for a word where fraction came from. It came from a Latin word which meant, how to say disconnect — rough and disconnected, it was a very general — the idea of roughness originally in Latin. So, I started playing with fractus, which I named it that and coined the word ‘fractal.' ... . First of all, people applied it in ways in which I didn't find sensible, but there was nothing I could say about it. So, then the dictionary started defining it, each a little bit differently. And in a certain sense the word became alive and independent of me. I could scream and say, I don't like it, but it made no difference."

— Benoit Mandelbrot, Sterling Professor Emeritus of Mathematics and senior research scientist in mathematics, "A Conversation with Benoit Mandelbrot," Big Think, March 25, 2010.

I just ot off looking at Mandelbrot Yale site, and can find no evidence that he even new about the Mandelbublb, or the forum here. Mamdelbrot appears to have done little after 2004/2005 maybe due to illness?

Did we get any feedback from an attempt to contact him?

I know i tend to big the forum up, based on past laurels i suppose, but i still think it is justified to aim at the forum being a prestige portal for all things fractal, and all people kids und Alteren who love fractals.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »

He was contacted and he also replied:
http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-implementation/ot-has-mr-benoit-commented-on-the-3d-mandelbulbs/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:44:21 AM by KRAFTWERK » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:51 AM »

Thanks Kraftwerk.

It is consoling to think that he saw the fruition of his ideas , so far, before he died. H e seemed genuinely interested.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:42:29 AM »

Thanks Kraftwerk.

It is consoling to think that he saw the fruition of his ideas , so far, before he died. H e seemed genuinely interested.

Yes, I thought a lot about that thread when I heard that he had passed away...
I am glad I at least raised the question before that, and that Christian made the contact.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: