Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 05:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Alternative ways of creating the Mandelbrot set  (Read 6243 times)
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: March 28, 2008, 04:03:24 AM »

I didn't realise there was another way of creating the set until I found this:

I quote:

You don't need imaginary numbers to define the mandelbrot set. Start with point (x[1],y[1]). When you do the iterations, x[next] = x[previous]^2 - y^2 + x[1] and y[next] = -y[previous]^2 + y[1]. And the image shown is most definitely a rendering of the mandelbrot set.

Unfortunately, he lost me at the y^2 bit. Perhaps he meant y[1] (which doesn't work btw)?

My attempt at reproducing the method has failed so far:

Code:
double nx; double ny;
double ox=0.4; double oy=0.5;  // Initialize to any numbers? (these chosen at random)
double px=ox; double py=oy;

for (int n=0; n<100000; n++) {
nx = pow(px,2.0) - pow(oy,2.0) + ox;
ny = -pow(py,2.0)              + oy;

px=nx; py=ny;

int drawx=(int)(nx*100.0 + 400);   // Enlarging tiny numbers to big so we can see...
int drawy=(int)(ny*100.0 + 300);  // ...the results properly. Plus centering to middle.

plot(drawx, drawy);
}

Any ideas of what needs to be changed?

And to to keep on topic generally, are there any other simple ways of creating the Mandelbrot set?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:06:26 AM by twinbee » Logged
juharkonen
Forums Freshman

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »

Calculations with complex numbers can always be translated to calculations in real numbers (using the definition of complex numbers). For the logistic map z(n+1) = z(n)^2 + C used to calculate the Mandelbrot set, this translates to
x(n+1) = x(n)^2 - y(n)^2 + xC
y(n+1) = 2*x(n)+y(n) + yC
where
C = (xC, yC) = xC + i*yC and
z(n) = (x(n), y(n)) = x(n) + i*y(n).

Comparing to your reference, it seems that the calculation of the y coordinate is incorrect. I didn't test this one neither but I hope you got the idea. I don't know about other ways to calculate the Mandelbrot set and I wouldn't say this essentially differs from the calculations using complex numbers - it's just a different representation of the same calculations.
GFWorld
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:17:11 AM »

Twinbee - thank´s for your visit and comments - you picked up here some of my own favorites  smiley
FeSt 8 - I lost it, but I am sometimes trying to return back , knowing about the impossibility at last
:-)))
It was created with Fe Sterlingware / Twister Weed , playing around here with CAbs , CAbs 2 & CSin Functions ...
>These 3 also come very close:
Mb1/mb4.html  / Formula by Paul W.Carlson
Fr1/fe126.html / Fe JT_Rosegarden
Fr1/fe116.html / Fe Sierpinskie Formula by Rico Wack
>These aren't as good as the above, but still really nice:
Fr1/fe100.html / Fe JT_Dahlia
UF/7.html / UF Sorensen Cubic - one of *my* places starting for Mini´s :-)
UF/120.htm / UF Julia Tricorn
Fr1/fe162.html / Fe JT_Venice
Fr1/fe181.html / Fe Newton Var by Girvan
Mut/Mut23.htm / MutatorKammer Alternating Fractals CM & Orbit Traps

Margit
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:29:49 PM »

as far as i know the above method works for julia sets, did you paint mandelbrot fractals with that rendering loop ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »

Comparing to your reference, it seems that the calculation of the y coordinate is incorrect. I didn't test this one neither but I hope you got the idea. I don't know about other ways to calculate the Mandelbrot set and I wouldn't say this essentially differs from the calculations using complex numbers - it's just a different representation of the same calculations.

different and less meaningful representations, agreed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: