Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 04:01:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Drawing pixels in Visual studio express?  (Read 5031 times)
Yesiamjames
Forums Freshman

« on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »

I'm making another fractal rendering program but I'm still really new to it and I need a little help. I'm using visual studio express 2010 and the program I'm making is going to end up quite similar to Fractal eXtreme except completely freeware and with a few extra features.

I've got the math part down and the UI but there's a few thing I'm still having problems with.

Firstly and most importantly, I can't for the life of me seem to get it to draw individual pixels (also a bit of help with getting the program to use custom pallets would be good.)

Also I'd like it to be able to write files (avi and either bmp, gif or jpg.)

Any help you can give would be great and naturally I'll post the completed program here for free.
miner49er
Safarist

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »

.NET? GDI or GDI+ - I would guess at - but I reckon it might be a tad slow.
I guess DirectX would be the way to go but I know nothing about that.
You could try and make it cross-platform and use SDL - that way I could run it under linux!
Yesiamjames
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »

At the moment I'm making it for window but I might make it cross platform at some point. I'm using VB and .net since basic is the only language I understand at the moment. Unless using something different would drasically speed up rendering I'm going to keep it that way.
zenzero-2001
Explorer

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »

Sounds like you need direct pixel access to the bitmap. I'm not sure how to do this in VB, but a quick Google search brought up this:

http://www.bobpowell.net/lockingbits.htm

I'm writing a program similar to Fractal eXtreme but in Qt. I will be releasing it as Open Source software. Progress is slow due to health problems but I hope to release the first version within the next two or three months.

Hope this helps!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: