Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 03:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: New kind of "audio fractal" discovered....  (Read 2623 times)
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« on: October 04, 2011, 10:51:20 PM »

A while ago i posted some ideas on how to convert the Mandelbrot or Julia sets into sound. It didn't turn out so well, however, now i've finally discovered a way to make sound with these formulas, that might really be something. I'm not going to reveal the formula itself yet though, but i want you to try to guess what i've done. Just one hint, it involves no oscillators....

http://www.mediafire.com/?m0l080yrlnwu9t5
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »

...i want you to try to guess what i've done.

I have no idea what you did, but it scared my cat!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:11 AM »

@sock rolling on floor laughing

@mat this is at least what me as non-musician would consider "fractal" music, because it actually is "music" (regards to the quotes!) i mean it is not only white noise (roughly)
... how about more channels ?  devil

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »

...i want you to try to guess what i've done.

I have no idea what you did, but it scared my cat!

Oh no! ( epic lol!  rolling on floor laughing )

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
fractower
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:27:29 PM »

My guess is that you are converting orbits to sound. This would provide a periodic source.. Probably while scanning through the complex plane.
Yesiamjames
Forums Freshman

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »

No idea. But how about trying x coordinate as pitch, y as time and colour (itterations) as volume?
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »

Well, i'm kinda disappointed noone came close to the solution, but here it is.

What i ended up doing is simply iterating the standard Mandelbrot/Julia squaring algorithm with a fixed number of iterations, around 20 in each of these examples, varying one of the parameters along a straight line and using the resulting value as the output level for each sample. You can either use the value of the last iteration, or add the value of all iterations together, the later gives a more complex sound which is what i used for most of the examples in the sound file.

This algorithm works with "inside" points only. This makes it rather limited, because not only is it limited to straight lines that contain inside pixels only, but most of them don't even give any audible result, for example the main bulb of the Mandelbrot set. There are only a few certain areas that have anything going on with them to give a audible result. Most of the samples i did are either of the "antenna" on the real axis of the Mandelbrot set, or the Julia sets from it. I would try with the power of 3 Mandelbrot, but i can't find a formula for it anywhere!

I also tried the "Mandelbar" and "Burning Ship" variants, but since these are the same for real numbers anyway, there's not much point to it.

There is one other formula i used however, which is the first one you hear in the sound example. That is simply a nested sine function, instead of squaring, with multiplication increasing with time. I included this because it was my first idea, and i think it's somewhat related to the Mandelbrot/Juilia formula.

I kind of imagined this having potential to be developed as a purpose made app, that lets you choose a path graphically along the M or J-set along with the other parameters, to render into audio. However upon trying this i have to conclude that there really isn't much more to find, than what is included in this sound file.

For those who really wonder, the ones that sound somewhat repetive are Julia sets from the real axis, the one that is just a single sliding pitch is -2 if i remember right, while the Mandelbrot ones sound more chaotic. Of course the difference between the "Julia" or "Mandelbrot" here is just what parameter is changed over the course of time!

But what really surprises me is how similar the results sound to sine waves, sometimes phase/frequency modulated sine waves. Is there a obvious relation between the squaring formula and the sine function that i've missed?
mauxuam
Alien

salamaundra
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:33 PM »

that link doesn work anymore but

@sock ..... epic cheesy

Artmatic does something like this...exports formulas into sounds with different algorhythms...fm...seq or sweep...
sometime nice
sometime scary shit
lol again...poor cat
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:46:36 AM »

The link still worked for me, but it scared ME (I don't have a cat)
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 07:35:20 PM »

Hmm, for some reason the post i intended to do when i uploaded this a few days ago didn't appear as intended. Anyway, here are some new examples.

The first are examples of a different kind of rendering fractal formulas to sound - instead of a fixed number of iterations from a starting point, each subsequent sample represents one iteration. The very first sound here is the infamous Logistic Map, and you can really hear the period changes as different droning pitches!

Also there's a couple of variants using the Triangle function. This is a function much like the sine function, but it returns a triangle waveform, which actually has only two angles and not three, and i'm pretty sure someone has discovered this function before, which can be describes as abs(x - int(x) - .5), but it seem that it hasn't gotten a lot of interest from mathematicians. But it's perfect for fractal sound, because the linear "velocity" of the resulting waveform is constant, unlike the sine function that constantly varies, so only the direction changes, and there's all kinds of weird harmonic effects going on!

And should i add, that these look VERY interesting when analyzed into a spectogram, too! I might post some examples of this later.

Finally, there's some examples of another way of converting fractal images into sound, which is simply rendering them as pictures (outline only) and running them through a program that converts them to sound by interpreting them as a spectogram, Coagula in this case. You could call it a reverse spectogram!

The images are just webcam video feedback and have nothing directly to do with the sounds....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jiOSPUITdU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0jiOSPUITdU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »

I'm kinda disappointed that this isn't getting any more interest on here, but i guess people on here are only devoted to the visual...
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »

recently many people registered with audio in mind, do we have already an audio fractal section ?
if not i will open up one.....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Erisian
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »

I'm a musician interested in experimental sound devices.  If you could produce something with parameters that the musician could adjust and turn it into a VST instrument, I for one would be very interested!  So might Hawkwind!

Sock, where did you get your SOH?  I want one!!!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »

I'm a musician interested in experimental sound devices.  If you could produce something with parameters that the musician could adjust and turn it into a VST instrument, I for one would be very interested!  So might Hawkwind!

Sock, where did you get your SOH?  I want one!!!

That depends...

What's an SOH?

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:05 AM »

a small spectrogram

* fractalsound.jpg (115.37 KB, 723x904 - viewed 79 times.)

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: