Logo by mrob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 07:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Gallery Posting Limits Coming Very Soon!  (Read 25533 times)
Pangaea
Navigator

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »

Oh hey folks, just new.. er, posted more then 3 images just now without having read this thread, sorry for that, I think i posted 6, I can delete 3 or if you wish you can do it.
Is it an issue of bandwidth? or simply folks posting too much, for too much sake?

anyhow, I do apologise again
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »

Hi Pangaea and welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay here. I've approved three of your images and deleted the other three, more or less in random order. The reason for the three image posting limit is very well described by sockratease in the first post in this topic. Main reason is to prevent "image spamming" which has happened a couple of times recently. Hope you understand

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Jameses
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »

oops. just like Pangea I have spent some time upping most of my images from last year. Just delete all but three and I will up more later. :S
I do fully agree with the originally posted idea, that of flooding. Might I even suggest the recent images to be expanded to say 10 or 20? Just throwing it out there I have no idea of any technical limitations.
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 05:28:31 AM »

To me the 3 or any other (reasonable )number is fine  but  is needed to make evident and clear the limit

I mean reading this post on this board become evident but there is so much else to read on the Fractal  forum

and for who (as often myself) make often series of image the solution seems simple :
chose 1 (or even 2) and in the comment field explain that are part of a series visible on HERE LINK

There are so much places were upload unlimited quantity of images even without limit for image or file size
(i.e fickr with a pro  account allow batch uploading and give unlimited storage space,or for free on Deviantart you may upload how much you want )

BUT and this for the mod, is badly needed a clear advice, visible when uploading about the limit because if obviously upload 68 imagine is obviously is a abuse ( or at best a misunderstanding of the scope of the gallery)  4 or 5 may seems reasonable as 3 or 2
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:30:41 AM by PhotoComix » Logged
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 05:38:21 AM »

sorry for the double post but is for a message i prefer separate

i would consider differently images with parameters included in the comment field and that without

in the first case who post is also sharing also the HOW TO and i will avoid to put a limit to that

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »

To me the 3 or any other (reasonable )number is fine  but  is needed to make evident and clear the limit

I mean reading this post on this board become evident but there is so much else to read on the Fractal  forum

and for who (as often myself) make often series of image the solution seems simple :
chose 1 (or even 2) and in the comment field explain that are part of a series visible on HERE LINK

There are so much places were upload unlimited quantity of images even without limit for image or file size
(i.e fickr with a pro  account allow batch uploading and give unlimited storage space,or for free on Deviantart you may upload how much you want )

BUT and this for the mod, is badly needed a clear advice, visible when uploading about the limit because if obviously upload 68 imagine is obviously is a abuse ( or at best a misunderstanding of the scope of the gallery)  4 or 5 may seems reasonable as 3 or 2

What you have to keep in mind is that this site began as a discussion only forum.

Images crept in, but were always externally hosted.  Our bandwidth is limited, as is the database size.

The sites you mention have revenue streams and investors / advertisers.  If you can find us some good investors or advertisers, I'm sure we could oblige your idea!

As for image series, I'd suggest uploading the first in the series to the gallery, and externally hosting and linking to the rest of the series as replies or comments.  That way the whole series is in one place, you have as many as you want in the thread, and stayed within our limited resources.

sorry for the double post but is for a message i prefer separate

i would consider differently images with parameters included in the comment field and that without

in the first case who post is also sharing also the HOW TO and i will avoid to put a limit to that

Nice thought, but there are many who have good reasons for not posting their parameters  (they plan Commercial activities, they have been discourteously plagiarized, etc.).

That is, and always has been, and always will be, up to the Artist to decide.  I can't see giving one special treatment for that reason alone.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »

I am really, really glad these measures are being put into place- thanks guys, it's been so crazy lately!

PS. Can't believe some people have the audacity to whine that they can't overwhelm a forum with zillions of (uninteresting!) images everyday..

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »

This doesn't concern me much as I didn't upload more than two or three images here (if at all? - maybe all of them were external links)

But my input to this, despite that, would be:

- 3 image limit sounds good
- though also make more than the most recent 4 images viewable. Rather do 10-20 or something.
- instead of having to go through all those images and delete them, it would be more convenient for BOTH the mods AND the uploaders if this was checked on before uploading. Then, when ever somebody TRIES to upload a fourth image, they just get an error message, before wasting their own bandwidth (or that of the forum), that they have to wait a day until uploading again.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

i see what i can do about an informative message when uploading, it has to be somewhere in the templates wink

you all know ? we are hosting more than 10.000 images right now !!!! and the growth as stated in an earlier post ist exponential, more people upload more, soon there will be the day when i have to randomly remove 1gig or more of images, because my server cant bare it, or i cant finance it, i have to talk with the provider about extending webspace, right now we have 10gigs, which seems huge, but 100gigs would make me more comfortable ( and this would still not allow of posting full-hd images )

my plans of creating a living out of this is forming in my head, and it certainly includes high quality image hosting, and merchandise production, but do not calculate this in before 5 years (!!!)

it is a thriving forum, and it is great, but it may happen that we even have to close down registrations of new users, or make the forum hidden for guests, because many rude people show up, and i see it all getting out of hands

and please consider that all of the work ( approving users, approving images, managing posts... ) is done by a relatively huge admin team, and they do it in their spare time, so we are dependent  on a simple self organisation of this forum, otherwise we couldnt bare it ....

sure, new users think, what ? limitations ? i dont know this, youtube allows hosting of everything, and facebook allows me to upload my hole crappy digicam folders without complaining, but THIS FORUM IS GENERATING A REVENUE OF EXACTLY 15€ a month! (by now ) since aproximately one year, and i did spent at least 5 years of hosting for 30€ a month without any income!!!!  police

and do not even think about clicking as hell on the banners ....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:28:42 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »

PS. Can't believe some people have the audacity to whine that they can't overwhelm a forum with zillions of (uninteresting!) images everyday..

fully agree!

mostly the more images someone posts, the less interesting each of it is (very subjective observation)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:32:19 PM by taurus66 » Logged

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »

Here we are talking about images locally hosted here and posted in the Galleries

But what about posting images hosted elsewhere ?

If someone want show his images at better resolution or bigger size can't just do it ?

There are limitation or rules about ?

PS
 i hope i did not give to some troll the idea to post in the same topic a few hundreds png at 8000x6000
Obviously also for images hosted elsewhere should be some reasonable limit of size and quantity

..just asking i am new to this forum that is fascinating but also a labyrinth
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »

I think the problem is the sheer number of images, not the data traffic. Many of us catch up with FF via the "most recent posts" and pretty much since last year it's been page after page of same-y Mandelbulb images.

There are two benefits to limiting to 1 per day or 3 per week or something: not only will be feed become manageable again, but more importantly the average quality will go up!! If you've only got one image to submit today, it'll probably be your best one rather than the 14 other ones which look similar...

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »

@photocomix
you are always allowed to put standard links to the high quality images in the description of your gallery posting, using single-externally hosted images would lead to a destroyed gallery when those externally hosted images are gone ( due to whatever reason)... you can use standard BBCODE in the description of your image!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »

@cKleinhuis

Thank , i was no thinking much to the galleries ,posting variations of the same image in the gallery usually will not do much sense , but may be different for a more technical discussion

Anyway in case  post just the links without displaying images in that case is fine for me
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »

OK, my 5 cents...

I don't see the need to post more than one image per day.
If you generate more images you have put too little effort into them and failed to "kill your darlings".
...and the quality suffers...

Of course I talk about "artistic" images here, images to illustrate new ideas and theories might need many at one time, but in those cases there is always the possibility to attach the images to the post (?)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: