Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 11:29:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelmusic  (Read 3306 times)
Description: Fractally Generated Music
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« on: September 24, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »

Hi there!

I was wondering if any one had any experience of, or was interested in fractally generated music. Hearing as well as seeing!

I've given it a go to see if the concept can produce anything viable. Basically - made a mandelbrot generator (where you can vary how it is rendered/how the colours are drawn), then iterate over the resulting image in a grid or circular fassion, sampling the brightness and turning it into a note!

Results so far. Well at first, it certainly generated some annoying beeping! Added midi playback to improve the sound and - definate potential smiley

I've a mass of ideas for alternative ways of sampling (e.g. other sampling patterns, tracing around the mandelbrot and using the distance from a centre to define the note), using other fractals, calculating notes directly from a formular rather than sampling, generating more complex musical outputs, but so far there have been only so many hours in the day!

I can stick up a windows .exe + visual studio project of the above if anyone is interested in having a look...

Martin smiley
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

I can stick up a windows .exe + visual studio project of the above if anyone is interested in having a look...

Martin smiley

Yes, Please!

I make my own music for my videos, using the most absurd techniques possible!

A dedicated program may really help.

Here's an example of turning a voice file of my Lovely Fiance talking into music via adding echoes and using a wav to midi program:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PzlClSkRUNA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PzlClSkRUNA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Yes, I made multiple midi voices and layered them in Audacity.

Will yours allow multi voice work?

Look at Visions Of Chaos for a fractal Generator capable of Music Making!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »

Ok here we go, here's the windows .exe (64bit compile) to get started. Hopefully it will run for you (reasonably quickly too - its multi-threaded to help speed up rendering).

Please note it is rather basic, so don't expect any fancy validation of inputs, or everything doing wonderous things smiley

There's a basic readme.txt in there to give a quick idea whats going on.

So far i've spent most of time time just messing around and exploring, trying to learn what might or might not possibly sound hopefull. Definatly lot's of potential for producing something 1/2 decent in the future!

All comments/ideas/etc. welcome smiley

* Mandelbeep 1.0.0.14.zip (20.72 KB - downloaded 118 times.)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »

Oh poo...

I'm so Antiquated.

I'm still on 32 bit Operating Systems...

Sorry, I'm used to only having to specify when something is 64 bit!

Guess the trend is reversing.

Wanna buy a house that's falling apart and has a mortgage on it that owes more than the thing is worth?   clown

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »

Any luck with this one? 32 and 64 bit versions.

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

M.

* Mandelbeep 1.0.0.14b.zip (39.15 KB - downloaded 119 times.)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »

Any luck with this one? 32 and 64 bit versions.

Works Great!

It could use a few features to make it a truly rich music creation program.

If you want suggestions, I could list many - but they are all on the music end - not the fractal end.

I really like that I can plug ANY image into it, fractal or not  (and if you know me at all yet, you know I used pictures of the woman I love!).

A short list of ideas to make it really useful:

Get the Save Button working!  It appears to do nothing.  Suggest being able to save in .wav format with a 44.1 Hertz value instead of the standard 48 - or the option to choose.  That's because Amazing Midi  {My Secret Weapon!} only reads that format wav file.  I strongly suggest grabbing it and looking at it's "transcribe" options.  A few of those could make this program create less repetitive music.

Also, adding the option to create multiple tracks and maybe even some effects like echoes, reverb, and even etc., would allow for layering different midi voices and creating sound files like the one in my video posted above.  See the open source freeware Audacity for source code that will layer tracks, add effects, and export wav files.

Ultimately the goal is to be able to create "voice tracks" for many different midi sounds from the same image with varying transcription values, layer them all together, tweak if desired, and export.

Visions of Chaos comes the closest to what I have in my mind (and how I create my weird sounds that I call music) - but still needs a little more to make it ideal.

You're off to a fantastic start!  I'd like to see this turn into a feature rich music creation tool, but don't know how much effort you plan on putting into it.

As it stands it's already very useful, I just need to use Audacity to record the output as it plays to get a source file which I can then convert into many voices (with varying transcription parameters), save out each track from Amazing Midi, convert all midi tracks to wav, import all to Audacity, add effects and other tweaks  (slight offset in timeline, volume and even other!), then export the project as a wav file, bring that into my video editor with my animation, combine and export!

I don't expect any music creation tool to go so far as to incorporate a video editor too  (but if I recall, VirtualDub is open source and it's code could be incorporated!) - but hey, I'll mention anything!  

I'm definitely adding it to my music creation tools because I hate violating copyrights to add a soundtrack to my fractal animation.  That's why I go through all that mess with all those other programs just to make the nonsense like in that video!  If any one program could combine all the stuff I need to do in one place, it would be a thing I would certainly consider buying!  I'd even go so far as to say I think it may even sell to others - but it would need a lot more stuff and probably far more time than it's worth...

Thanks a lot for the 32 bit compilation!

If I can be of further help / annoyance, let me know.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:29:06 PM by Sockratease, Reason: speelinf eroorz » Logged

eiffie
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »

Babbage can you throw the code up somewhere? It doesn't need to be pretty, just a zip of main code files. I have been thinking of doing something similar with julia sets. After making this video of the julia sets as you traverse the boundary of the mandelbrot the number of arms in the spirals struck me as harmonies and I want to extract that as music. If I do then at least I could code it so it fits with your app.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/abU1Mv9kmXU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/abU1Mv9kmXU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:01 AM »

Hi there Eiffie - im trying to do this propperly and stick the source code on codeplex for any one to download and edit. 75% there smiley Will shout when done!

Sockratease: Thanks for the feedback! The save function doesnt save the audio - it saves the settings (into the drop down list of previously saved settings) - it doesn't export the resulting audio.

My goal would be exporting music notation - I am guessing a midi file would go down well too! But I like your save audio idea cheesy

M.
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:26:46 AM »

Hey!

Right try http://mandelbeep.codeplex.com/ and go to the Source Code tab, and you can download the latest version. Had a friend download + compile from it, and all worked smiley Might have to change the build properties to x86 rather than x64.

Fingers crossed,

M.
eiffie
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »

Thanks for the code Babbage. Had fun playing with it and added some features: selecting a scale and instrument.
Limiting the notes to a particular scale really helped make it sound musical. To see my code changes search for "AJS" in the attached files. Now I want to try using all three colors as seperate notes - may just be another bad idea tho.

* Main2.zip (17.76 KB - downloaded 119 times.)
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 09:13:13 PM »

Cool! I'll have a look cheesy

I was thinking the same thing - use 3 colours as seperate notes. Well, 4 including alpha channel (why not). Get some chords playing out of it smiley Just need a few hours when the wife and kid's won't mind some late night tapping away...
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »

You guys are incredible and amazing cheesy

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
GrahamSym
Conqueror

https://myspace.com/dr.g. https://www.facebook.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »

You might like to check out this programe.  http://www.sonicspot.com/softstep/softstep.html

No fractals were harmed during the making of my art.......Well, only a few!
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »

That looks interesting! Thanks for the link smiley *goes to explore*

M.

p.s.
Re-writing mandelbeep right now to be funkier!
Babbage
Forums Freshman

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »

Softstep doesn't seem to like 64bit windows and the authors homepage isn't working for me,  Doh.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: