Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 01:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is there a preferred install method?  (Read 2127 times)
Description: Plus question of default directories.
meegja
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »

Is there a preferred method of install or not? Till now I just do the install over the previous version and it all seems to keep on working.
Or is it better to first uninstall the previous version of Mandelbulber and each time a fresh install?

Ok, here is other question: is it correct that's still not possible to let the program memorize what defaults directories have to be used? For example, I can change the directory for where animations frames have to be saved. But when I close and open Mandelbulber again, then that change is gone, the default save directory is back again so I have to change it ... again.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:46:13 PM by meegja » Logged
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »

Is there a preferred method of install or not? Till now I just do the install over the previous version and it all seems to keep on working.
Or is it better to first uninstall the previous version of Mandelbulber and each time a fresh install?

Ok, here is other question: is it correct that's still not possible to let the program memorize what defaults directories have to be used? For example, I can change the directory for where animations frames have to be saved. But when I close and open Mandelbulber again, then that change is gone, the default save directory is back again so I have to change it ... again.

under windows i allways install over without any probs. in suse 64 bit i've got problems with new versions but i'm mostly clouless with linux.

default settings are stored in default.fract. so open mandelbulber, change settings as desired, then save settings back to default.fract. now bulber shoud open with your new settings. afaik only the default image file type allways reverts to jpeg. and new versions kill these settings. so backup before updating.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
meegja
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »

@ Taurus66

Okay, thanx for that! Was searching my head off! :p

Edit: did try what you suggested but that doesn't help. If I make the changes to the default file paths and then save the default.fract, the next time I open Mandelbulber the file paths are back to their default state sad
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:57:54 PM by meegja » Logged
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »

ok, this might have changed during the last updates. i've seen there is a file called ".defaults". didn't take a look inside, but maybe the solution is here. i'll take a look tonight.

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »

i think buddhi has changed the program behaviour. it not allways saves the paths in the fract files and returnes to default values i can't locate in any setting. sad, as i don't use the same setup very often sad. here's a little workaround to fix this in windows.
  • open %program files%\Mandelbulber\examples\default.fract in a text editor
  • add or modify the following lines
    file_destination <path_images>;
    file_background <path_backing_image>;
    file_envmap <path_non_raytrace_reflection>;
    file_lightmap <path_ambient_occlusion_image>;
    file_animation_path paths/path.txt; (i don't know what's in, so i recommend to leave it)
    file_keyframes <path_keyframes_fract>;
    <...> means the path of your choice, don't forget the semicolon
  • save file in text editor and reopen mandelbulber
the program should open with the new path settings.

unfortunately bulber overwrites these settings again after opening a fract, where the path is not in use. so this is a weak patch.

regards
taurus

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: