Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 07:01:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber 1.08  (Read 5816 times)
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« on: August 21, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »

Mandelbulber 1.08 - for Linux x86, Linux x64, Win32, Win64 and MacOS 32 and 64 bit

Open source program (GNU GPL) for rendering photo-realistic 3D fractals

Free download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/
User manual: http://sites.google.com/site/mandelbulber/user-manual
Tutorial for creating animations: http://sites.google.com/site/mandelbulber/getting-started

New features in version 1.08:
- Impelemnted primitive objects like plane, box, sphere and water
- Improved raytraced reflections algorithm - better reflections with ambient occlusion
- Added fast ambient occlusion effect. Reference: http://www.iquilezles.org/www/material/nvscene2008/rwwtt.pdf (Iñigo Quilez – iq/rgba)
- Added possibility to turn off "penetrating light" for the main light source
- Added function for auto-calculate of fog parameters
- Added coordinates and distance measurement tool
- Added button for resetting of IFS parameters
- Added program icon (on Ubuntu and Debian: Mandelbulber is added to programs menu)
- fixed bug: copy to clipboard works again on Windows 32-bit

SVN repository: http://mandelbulber.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
This repository is available from Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/mandelbulber/

Mandelbulber is also available in Debian (testing - Sid) repository.

My gallery with images created using Mandelbulber: http://krzysztofmarczak.deviantart.com/gallery/

meegja
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »

Very cool again smiley
Question: is it correct that the order of the tabs has changed too? I ask because it's not in the Changed list.
Over here it changed now with the View tab as first, then Engine, then Image and so on.

Menno
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »

Very cool again smiley
Question: is it correct that the order of the tabs has changed too? I ask because it's not in the Changed list.
Over here it changed now with the View tab as first, then Engine, then Image and so on.

Menno

Yes, I forgot to add this to changes list. I had to reorganize it a little, because of new functions.

meegja
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »

ah ok, clear then smiley
And thanx again for the update!! cheesy
fronclynne
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:39:21 PM »

Compiled from svn trunk on FreeBSD 9.0 BETA1 amd64 (or x86_64, or x64, or whatever the Linus kids are calling it these days) using the gcc45 from ports.

Seems to run fairly well.

It takes a few manual steps:

edit ./makefiles/src/subdir.mk & change g++ to g++45. (be tempting to change -O3 to -O2 & make some comparisons,   tease )
I don't like stuff cluttering up /usr, so I copied the relevant files (examples/, defaults) to /opt/share/mandelbulber and symlinked to /usr/share/mandelbulber.  Probably edit up ./src/interface.h to suit local practices next compile.  smiley

A Beer Cup
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »

Wow, incredible new tools in this version. especially the water is impressing. no simple normal manipulation - real poly displacement. many modellers / raytracers can take a leaf out of your book.
fantastic improvement! along with the measurement tool it is easy to use too. thanks a lot. the wave

my first approach to the new features is visible at http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=8277

thanks again
taurus

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »

Wow, incredible new tools in this version. especially the water is impressing. no simple normal manipulation - real poly displacement. many modellers / raytracers can take a leaf out of your book.
fantastic improvement! along with the measurement tool it is easy to use too. thanks a lot. the wave

my first approach to the new features is visible at http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=8277

I'm glad you like new features.
I think I have to add one thing more to the water. Now it cannot be animated. I have to find some way to produce animated waves.

Yesterday I have started studying how to use OpenCL (using GPU for calculation). I see that I have to learn a lot. I'm going to make some real time preview and I hope that I will be able to do it.

isosceles
Alien

isosceles
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »

The new version of Mandelbulber is very exciting. Especially the fast ambient occlusion! The water and enhanced reflections look very good. I still need to play around with the coordinates and distance measurement tool. I am also quite interested in experimenting with the primitives within fractals...

Here are two feature requests I've been brewing on lately:

• It has been difficult to create keyframes for a smooth camera path with the distance evenly spaced out. Would it be possible to add a minimal timeline? (Instead of all keys evenly space out)
  • Also, it would be great if the option existed to render out a depth map pass. (for animations too) This would allow for interesting options in Photoshop or After Effects.

Jason Fletcher
Charles Hayden Planetarium
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »

Now it cannot be animated. I have to find some way to produce animated waves.

this was my second thought. i'd really like to see a flight througt a fractal fjord.
my first thought was, that those primitives (first of all spheres and water) would be great to establish transparency and refraction in mandelbulber...

a realtime preview with hardware acceleration is a great idea too.

keep up your excellent work  A Beer Cup
taurus

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »

"mandelbulbers on tigers"  embarrass

ihcn
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »

I'm glad you like new features.
I think I have to add one thing more to the water. Now it cannot be animated. I have to find some way to produce animated waves.

Yesterday I have started studying how to use OpenCL (using GPU for calculation). I see that I have to learn a lot. I'm going to make some real time preview and I hope that I will be able to do it.

One of my favorite things about Qt is the fact that it has built-in libraries for using OpenCL. So basically all you have to know is how to write GLSL shaders, and that's pretty straightforward.

Changing from one GUI library to another on a project this big isn't something I would ever want to do though D:

I would very much like a fast-preview mode though. don't give it any of the fancy features like reflections or ambient occulsion or glow - just a quick and dirty preview. tell me the current DE and such, and either tie the view coordinates/viewing angle/etc to the preview coorfinates/viewing angle/etc, or give me a one-click way to copy the preview coordinates to the view coordinates

I don't know if you've seen the program Mandelflyer, but it had a neat feature where you could hold 1 and 2 to increase and decrease the scale of the mandelbox as it's rendering, and 3/4/5/6/7 change other things, and some other keys do stuff as well, so you can get a very good idea of how various parameters affect things, in real-time. Having keys to increase/decrease the rotation on each axis would be cool for example
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »

mandelbulber 1.08 on PPC: now also for OS X ver.10.4 intel and PowerPC!!  nerd The circle is finally closed!!  ugly
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:53:10 PM by visual » Logged
isosceles
Alien

isosceles
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

Great job! Now all mac users are happy.

Jason Fletcher
Charles Hayden Planetarium
Xazo-Tak
Navigator

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 05:45:33 AM »

Looks far fancier than 0.991, great job. And I think I detect a small drop in crashing frequency. But there is still the problem that if you leave your computer unattended while rendering an animation will cause a crash. I have tried as much as I can to remove any possibility of a crash due to leaving my PC unattended, but if I leave my PC alone only a handful of frames will render. I wish I had a vibrating pad I could stick my mouse on to prevent my computer from considering itself unattended for 12 hours solid, and so complete the render in only 2 days, instead of 10. Or you could try solve that problem. Great program btw, makes mandelbulb 3D images look like some cheap plastic things.

I lost the game!
Daniel
Forums Newbie

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »

Great job on this program so far. I've been using it for a couple of months but my skill in producing good renderings is unfortunately still lacking.

Some feedback I wanted to throw around:

It's confusing and a little inconvenient having some of the parameters in different tabs. The Mandelbox has all of its stuff in its own tab, but then the constant factor is in the fractal tab. And with hybrid fractals I have no idea whether the power/scale/p setting overrides the one in the Mandelbox tab when using that fractal in hybrids. Personally I like the way Mandelbulb 3D has it, with the fractal parameters in their own separate window.

Are the other fractal formulas going to eventually have as much customization as the Mandelbox? e.g. it would be interesting to be able to independently vary the two rotation angles in the Mandelbulb formula.

I also think it would be great if at some later date these variants could be added: http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/platonic-dimensions/msg35662/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: