Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 10:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Does higher stepcount for binary search slow down the rendering significantly?  (Read 575 times)
Sfumato
Safarist

« on: August 07, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »

Dear friends, I've noticed practically little impact of high stepcount for binary search parameters on the speed of rendering. Am I right or I've had non-typical situations?
The reason I am asking is perhaps one can set it by default on 31 and forget about it forever?
Thank You,
Sfumato.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »

For each step a DE must be calculated, if you got a formula with good DE's and you set the raystep factor maybe to 0.5 or so, you might have only 20 raysteps towards the object.  So additional 32 DE calculations would slow done rendering, though the bin search is also stopped when a minimum distance to the desired distance is reached.
Normally, more than 12 search steps does not change anything in the final image, but in certain situations a higher value could be better.  That is why i don't fixed the stepcount to a value.
Sfumato
Safarist

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »

Thank You, Jesse. Now it's clear!
With best regards,
Sfumato.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: