Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 11:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Linux OS choice (non-fractal, nevertheless Mandelbulber related)  (Read 14077 times)
Description: OS choice for an old win-user
Sfumato
Safarist

« on: July 28, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »

Hi, dear fractal folks!
I am eager to install a 64-bit Linux on my PC to try to enjoy 64-bit Mandelbulber render.
My question is very simple: What linux would You recommend for a newbie  undecided (I've been working under win since win 3.1): Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian, etc - ? I am planning to use the OS only for MB exploring and rendeing (+ perhaps fractal video encoding if under 64-bit Linux I can do it faster).
I have Core 2 Quad 9650 with 16 GB RAM.
P. S. I'm ignorant in programming so writing and launching scripts, kernel compiling perspectives etc frighten me   sad
Thank You in advance,
Sfumato.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:34:16 PM »

your avatar pic always distracts me, although i couldnt answer your question it is distracting me ... rolling on floor laughing

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
A Noniem
Alien

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:06:41 PM »

Personally I'm a Ubuntu user. Mandriva is almost dead so I wouldn't use that and why use Debian if you have Ubuntu. There are some interesting Ubuntu deriatives which might be worth looking at (Linux Mint for example), but I'd stick with something like Ubuntu if I were you.

P. S. I'm ignorant in programming so writing and launching scripts, kernel compiling perspectives etc frighten me   sad

So Gentoo/Linux From Scratch/Arch Linux is no option?  grin (Arch is a very good distro btw)
Sfumato
Safarist

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »

Thank You so much, A Noniem!
Despite my ignorance I remember installing Slackware (there was only text mode installation at that time) some twelve - fifteen years ago. I compiled the kernel, made my video and audio cards work properly and even connected to internet. It cost me a week of browsing through forums and reading Man-s & HowTo-s. Afterwards I installed RedHat and SuSe (6 and 4 years ago but failed to use LAB colors in GIMP and had some problems with software installation) - that were my latest experiments. So I'll stick to Ubuntu and will have a look at Arch.
With kindest regards,
Sfumato.
A Noniem
Alien

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »

Ubuntu like distro's are very easy to install and since it is the biggest distro around everything works with it.

Arch however is a completely different distro (it is actually an old fork of Slackware and it sticks to the KISS principle), so you have to do everything yourself when installing it. The advantage is that you have complete control (since you have to configure/install really EVERYTHING yourself) It's also a rolling release distro which means that you really have bleeding edge software (which broke software a lot for me). I really won't recommend it if you're just going to use it for some simpel fractal programs. It isn't worth the time. Arch is a great distro for the advanced linux power user who wants to be in complete control, but I don't think it'll be something you like 
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

Thank You so much, A Noniem!
Despite my ignorance I remember installing Slackware (there was only text mode installation at that time) some twelve - fifteen years ago. I compiled the kernel, made my video and audio cards work properly and even connected to internet. It cost me a week of browsing through forums and reading Man-s & HowTo-s. Afterwards I installed RedHat and SuSe (6 and 4 years ago but failed to use LAB colors in GIMP and had some problems with software installation) - that were my latest experiments. So I'll stick to Ubuntu and will have a look at Arch.
With kindest regards,
Sfumato.
I had exactly the same experience with slackware/redhat/suse many years ago smiley

Also a fan of Ubuntu now, it's really good!

Sfumato
Safarist

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 09:26:34 PM »

Thank You, lycium!
Following the advice I've downloaded Ubuntu already and installing it just now.
With kindest regards,
Sfumato.
surrealista1
Navigator

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »

I would chose the latest Ubuntu version, it is really faster than windows and you can have it as a 2nd OS, and you can find some fractal software exclusive for lynux, one of them is fyre a very interesting generator
Sfumato
Safarist

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »

Thank You so much, surrealista1! I'll try Fyre (I' ve found it on flickr already).
The only problem I face is my Graphic station where I have win and Ubuntu now is practically all the time is rendering M3D frames and I've got no time to master Ubuntu ;-( I need a third computer for that purpose. Perhaps I could make some jiggery-pokery with Wine, but lack of determination stops me as I am afraid it would take a bunch of time.
With kindest regards,
Sfumato.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:23:29 AM by Sfumato » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: