Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 07:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Suggestions for M3d  (Read 5421 times)
Description: suggestions/requests for Jesse's gobsmackingly awesome M3d
Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »

As if the poor soul isn't probably busy enough, I thought I'd list a couple huh? of suggestions for future releases of M3d for Jesse.

Sorry to list so many, I really wouldn't mind if M3d never changed from what it is now (awesome), you will never know how grateful I am (and no doubt everyone else is) for M3d'S existence! If I ever meet you at a future Mandelbulb convention, the drinks are on me! So again sorry to seem demanding and double sorry if any of this functionality curently exists and has escaped my attention!

p.s Maybe there needs to be a sticky thread for this?

• You could perhaps make the top row of material slots into "banks" e.g. 1 - 5  which would give 50 available materials instead of 15?
  • Would you be able to 'up' the default threadcount (pretty please)? It defaults to 16, I have to change it to 24 when I launch M3d (which is lots!).. A setup with the dual 10 core ht xeons would need it set to 40 etc...
  • Could you make a 'new document' button (I see a space for it right next to save M3i) to reset all parameters (both formula and zoom as well as julia settings, cutting etc) and clear the animation timeline?
  • Speaking of the lighting panel could you add a close button to it? I run multiple instances of m3d at times and have accidentally clicked on the wrong instance's lighting parameters. doh!
  • Is it possible to add compression (i.e. zip) as an option for m3i files?
  • Would it be possible to add a thumbnail 'browser' for M3p and m3i files?
  • Could you make all the windows e.g post, formulas, animation 'snap' together like the lighting panel does to the main window? Formulas seems to snap initially but once moved it loses its 'snap'
  • Could you make the 3d Navigator window resizable by dragging the edges?
  • Another pretty please for transparent pngs or layered tiffs?

ok these ones might be a bit outlandish, but food for thought I guess...

• Could you add some sort of 'minify' mode for rendering animations so that most of the interface dissapears but you can still see a small preview and stats e.g. time rendering, frame number x...
  • A 'fractal' cloud generation thingamajig for the background
  • A 2d fractal thingamajig for colouring the 3d fractals

Again sorry to list so many and have nothing to really offer in return...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:07:14 AM by Transdimensional » Logged

causality ignores the persecutory illusions of free will
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »

The best algorithm for cloud generation is the perlin noise, perturbed with gnarl/dynamic distorsion smiley
Another is the plasma algorithm

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »

I have another suggestion...

Can you please add a button for cooking popcorn while I wait for the rendering process to finish?

Some ideas to achieve this:
- Using the dvd drive laser pointing at the popcorn while simulating a burn process.
- Turning off the cooling fans while rendering and putting the popcorn inside the computer case.

rolling on floor laughing

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »

The best algorithm for cloud generation is the perlin noise, perturbed with gnarl/dynamic distorsion smiley

this was what i thought as well, but members here on the forum pointed me to a method that uses wavelets for frequency definition of the concaves cheesy
all in all with the result of a more "brownian" motion property, and more "natural" outcome cheesy

check this out:
http://www.tangentspace.net/cz/archives/2005/08/markov-random-fields-wavelets-and-terrain-generation/

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »

I have another suggestion...

Can you please add a button for cooking popcorn while I wait for the rendering process to finish?

Some ideas to achieve this:
- Using the dvd drive laser pointing at the popcorn while simulating a burn process.
- Turning off the cooling fans while rendering and putting the popcorn inside the computer case.

rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing Now those I could use

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 07:52:20 PM »

The laser is also useful to tattoo fractals in people's face grin

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »

The laser is also useful to tattoo fractals in people's face grin

dont become silly, how large would that tattoo be ? when tattoing the whole time while rendering ?!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »

this was what i thought as well, but members here on the forum pointed me to a method that uses wavelets for frequency definition of the concaves cheesy
all in all with the result of a more "brownian" motion property, and more "natural" outcome cheesy

check this out:
http://www.tangentspace.net/cz/archives/2005/08/markov-random-fields-wavelets-and-terrain-generation/

Well, Jesse can implement the basic algorithm at first, then we can suggest him new methods  wink

djeaton
Forums Freshman

Mandelbulb Enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »

I'm new both here and to M3D, so pardon me if this has already been mentioned.  I have some suggestions though. smiley
  • Can you add an option (on/off) to also save the clipboard text parameters to a text file when the m3p file is saved?
  • Can you add the text parameters as a comment in the jpg?  That would make us uber easy to share both the image and parameters in a single step
  • If/When text params are saved in the JPG's, can the OPEN dialogue box allow you to open the parameters from the JPG thumbnails displayed?  One of the versions of Apophysis (I think Apo-J) did this and it was nice to browse parameters by image.
  • This last suggestion isn't FOR M3D, but is related TO it and sharing parameters.  I'm starting to use Google+ to "share" my text parameters and small 300x200 images to a stream (images under 2048x2048 don't count towards your storage space).  That what I have an eternal external archive of my parameters and thumbnails.  If anyone else is interested in a sharing circle on G+, look me up.  I'd be glad to add you to my circle if you return the favor. smiley  I'm at gplus.to/danieleaton

Ask to be part of my M3D parameter sharing circle on Google+
darkbrain
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »

Hello,
  I've another suggestion: export all points set in ply format  (http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/ply/) or equivalent.

bye,
   DarkBrain
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »

Another useful option can be added for the background image; "Wallpaper mode" to use a lightmap tiled (like a plain  wallpaper) as a background. If liked it can be very cool to use two tiled maps instead of the "depth" colours as an infinite double plane.

I wrote a coloring algorithm for UltraFractal for tiled images. Don't know if you can find it useful?

Image {
;
; Image just displays an image from disk. It's best used on the Outside tab,
; together with the Pixel formula from Standard.ufm.
; TOO BAD, the standard "Image" don't have wrapping an I had
; to rewrite it... wink
;
global:
  Image i = new @imageParam
  Image q = new Image
final:
  ; Use #pixel as the complex coordinate inside the image, but scale such that
  ; the default corner coordinates (-2,1.5)..(2,-1.5) correspond to the entire
  ; image width.
  float v = 0.5
  complex c = v * #pixel
  float w = 0
  float h = 0
  float w1 = 0
  float h1 = 0

; Make sure the ratio of the image is preserved.
  float ratio
  if !i.getEmpty()
    w = i.getWidth()
    h = i.getHeight()
    ratio = w / h
  else
    ratio = 1
  endif
  w1 = real(c) - round(real(v*c))/v
  h1 = imag(c* ratio) - round(imag(v*c* ratio))/v
  #color = i.getColor(w1 + flip(h1))

default:
  title = "Image (wrapped)"
  helpfile = "Uf*.chm"
  helptopic = "Html/coloring/standard/image.html"
  heading
    text = "Tip: the Image coloring algorithm works best with the standard \
      Pixel fractal formula. This wrapped version is strongly reccomended \
      to deal with any magnification, mapping!"
  endheading
  Image param imageParam
    caption = "Image"
    hint = "The image selected here will fill the entire layer, if combined \
      with the Pixel fractal formula and if the location is set to the \
      default. To do this, click the Reset button on the Location tab."
  endparam
}

This image was made with UF using two maps and the 3D mapping, as a sample smiley

This is not a begging post, only a stupid idea! nerd

* 3D gnarl.jpg (105.71 KB, 821x804 - viewed 255 times.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:15:20 AM by DarkBeam » Logged

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:53 PM »

Another useful option can be added for the background image; "Wallpaper mode" to use a lightmap tiled (like a plain  wallpaper) as a background. If liked it can be very cool to use two tiled maps instead of the "depth" colours as an infinite double plane.

Indeed, looks neat beside the aliasing.  Would have to save downsized tiles and interpolate from them to overcome it.

Another drawback is that there is no room in the lighting header for more parameters, even some bits for more than 255 maps are really hard to find (else i would had already increased the maximum map count)!

What i did is a nicer spline interpolation for maps, so heightmaps and such stuff will become more interesting, i attached paras and a pic with the spline interpolation...

* AboxMap SplineIpol.jpg (218.53 KB, 800x566 - viewed 251 times.)
* AboxMap SplineIpol.m3p (1.93 KB - downloaded 109 times.)
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:33:49 AM »

I have a Suggestion:

I think it will be useful to have sliders for Julia values (and other parameters maybe) on the nav window. I'm using Fragmentarium and this feature is good to find nice shapes with real-time rendering, specially with KIFS formulas. What do you think?

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »

Of course, would make sense in the navi - even with some lower calculation speed compared to GPU based renderers.
Put it on the list, dunno when the right time for it will be  horsie riding
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 11:33:52 PM »

Most of the formulas have interesting j seeds at a given distance from the origin... yes spherical coords would be useful smiley

And never tried to see 1/distance as a option for escape? Selectable option togheter with inside renders smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: