Logo by miles - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 10:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Recatogorising the Forums?  (Read 9621 times)
alan2here
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 01:52:46 PM »

At this moment it looks like that only art-users are dominant; that should be a pity if continues.
I wanted to put seprate forums for mainly art and mainly math users
Im a fractal artist but would not want the whole forum to become completly overun with only artists.
heneganj
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 09:34:41 PM »

So did I it makes perfect sense.  The 'fractal community' is a meeting place in the middle.  Also I wanted a Real World section to be in the middle ground too.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 10:48:18 PM »

Jason Henegan (Administrator) wrote:
>
>    ....it makes perfect sense.  The 'fractal community' is a
>    meeting place in the middle.  Also I wanted a Real World
>    section to be in the middle ground too.

I agree with you Jason, as you say, a "fractal community" for these Fractal Forums needs to have as much as possible (if not every aspect) altogether in one area.  Separating into two different sites would not expose each side to the other as well.  Nor would it allow for an exchange of ideas, concepts, etc. between the two as readily.

The truth of the matter is, there definitely are not as many people who wish to be that involved with Mathematics.  The majority of individuals get involved with fractals as a hobby or interest.  They wish to escape the day to day routines of their life and do something fun or creative.  If they happen to learn a bit of math along the way, that is good.  But they usually do not wish to be bogged down into heavy discussions of formulae.

The world and the people in it are not going to change.  It has been this way for centuries, and will most likely continue as such.  And for most people, mathematics taught in school was never fun, just something they were forced into.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 03:04:42 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

matera
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 02:44:06 AM »

I had fun with math in school, up to a point. Unfortunately, it is mostly taught  by a lot of guys with no sense of humor and no idea that it should be enjoyed. Fractals did not exist when I went to school either!

It is true that the fractal adventure is usually a vacation time. The majority of fractal lovers don't have the time to devote to the mathematical side. Most of the time it's to heck with the math, DIVE! I like to simply go hunting in the fractal forest late at night to wind down.

But it is good to remember that without the math, and those who see the fun and beauty in it, we would not have all the fun and beauty of fractals.
heneganj
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 02:14:38 PM »

Can anyone suggest a new forum structure or modifications to any of those proposed?

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2006, 07:17:31 PM »

>
>    Can anyone suggest a new forum structure or
>    modifications to any of those proposed?

At the moment I think we have covered the basics, and expressed each of our opinions about it.

The question at present is, when will the reorganization take place ??

heneganj
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 10:02:23 PM »

This week. The forum will be put into maintenance mode (which locks out users), I'll back up everything and take a printout and get to work.

IIS needs restarting anyway because I tinkered with HTTP compression settings.

Although I believe moderators have the abillity to restructure the forum (correct me if you don't) I think it best if only one person does the initial restructuring.  If any tweaks need to occur after that I'm happy that all appointed moderators carve up the forum as they see fit.

Sound good to everyone?  smiley
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 10:30:44 PM »

>
>    IIS needs restarting anyway because I tinkered
>    with HTTP compression settings.

I had not bothered checking on the type of server being used, had assumed it was Apache because of the PHP.  Microsoft will do, as long as there are plenty of safeguards in place.    wink

>
>    Although I believe moderators have the abillity to
>    restructure the forum (correct me if you don't)....

Can a Moderator create a new Board under one of the main Forums??  If so, how is this accomplished??
For that matter, can a Moderator create a main Forum??  Neither of these have I found the ability to do yet.

And I still do not have the ability to see all of the values listed for individuals when the Members List is selected:
    http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=mlist

>
>    ....I think it best if only one person does the initial
>    restructuring.  If any tweaks need to occur after
>    that I'm happy that all appointed moderators carve
>    up the forum as they see fit.

Very wise.  Restructuring is kind of like driving a car, best when only one person is behind the wheel.    wink

xenodreambuie
Conqueror

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »

Jason, I'm not convinced about some of the categories. I think you had it right earlier, with Flames being a subcategory of IFS. I don't know whether a firm definition of flame fractal has ever been given (and whether it refers to the use of IFS including nonlinear variations or the rendering algorithm or both), and most people seem to go by appearances. Technically, all implementations of flame fractals so far are 100% within the IFS category and I would be surprised if that changed.

I also consider all kinds of Sierpinski gaskets to be categorized as IFS due to their form, although some can be produced by a wider variety of algorithms, so YMMV.

Regards, Garth
http://xenodream.com
matera
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:28 AM »

I agree about the one-driver rule of thumb. Jason is Our Exalted Leader, and must have a deciding role in any changes. I would always ask before making any changes above topic level (outside of the practice forum, that is lol).
Can a Moderator create a new Board under one of the main Forums??  If so, how is this accomplished??
For that matter, can a Moderator create a main Forum??  Neither of these have I found the ability to do yet.
See the topic in the new "Disposable" board wink

The "Create a new category" link on the board modification page in Admin gives you the means to make a new main forum.
heneganj
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 10:12:12 AM »

Jason, I'm not convinced about some of the categories. I think you had it right earlier, with Flames being a subcategory of IFS. I don't know whether a firm definition of flame fractal has ever been given (and whether it refers to the use of IFS including nonlinear variations or the rendering algorithm or both), and most people seem to go by appearances. Technically, all implementations of flame fractals so far are 100% within the IFS category and I would be surprised if that changed.

I also consider all kinds of Sierpinski gaskets to be categorized as IFS due to their form, although some can be produced by a wider variety of algorithms, so YMMV.

No problem the categories can be changed.
heneganj
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »

and must have a deciding role in any changes. I would always ask before making any changes above topic level (outside of the practice forum, that is lol).

I would only rather have a deciding role if there was a tied vote between moderators.  I have awarded moderatorship to empower decision makers.

I think it sensible to ask about changes above topic level - I would (and am doing in this thread) ask for opinions myself.
heneganj
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »

And I still do not have the ability to see all of the values listed for individuals when the Members List is selected:
    http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=mlist

Paul you are the only person to have entered a value in all columns.  Could you send me a screenshot of what you see? moderator at fractalforums.com

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »

L. Haglund AKA Matera the Mad wrote:
>
>    See the topic in the new "Disposable" board  wink
>    The "Create a new category" link on the board modification
>    page in Admin gives you the means to make a new main forum.

I do not have access to the Admin area.  So the instructions are meaningless to me.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 11:18:26 AM »

>
>    Paul you are the only person to have entered a value
>    in all columns.  Could you send me a screenshot of
>    what you see?

Out of all the members that show on the webpages, only two people have anything at all in those "contact" fields, and not all of those value are showing up for me.    Here is the screen-shot:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: