Logo by simon.snake - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 07:44:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Recatogorising the Forums?  (Read 9643 times)
alan2here
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 06:59:52 PM »

@Nahee_Enterprises

You make good arguments Nahee_Enterprises I think you should gain a rank on thease forums for you'r Insights.

I would be happy to have thease ones listed in this order
http://home.att.net/~Paul.N.Lee/Most_Used_Counts.html
It seems to be a good representation

Although I don't understand what the apeal is with FractInt other than it is what people used in the days of MS Dos, I found it verry limeting compared to UF and I tried out the newest verstion verry recently.

Intresting, XenoDream is neer the top, I guess that is why UF has got all those missleading pictures in its showcase atm. Is it maybe trying to compete with XenoDream on the 3D front?

I would like to try XenoDream, I may get round to buying it soon, It seems to be the only fractal software to do a lot of the stuff it claims to be able to do.

Tierazon looked intresting

I think http://www.mysticfractal.com should defenatly combine there stuff into just one program, insted of lots of small less usefull ones.

Bear in mind that what we can do with fractals is driven by what software lets us do, we can always have a forum for people who like to write there own sofware too, and use the fractals as math forum (dosn't have to be called that) for genral discution of particular fractals in a way unrealated to software.

Hmm, I do understand you arguments, we will have to think for a bit, a solution will come, hopefully we can find a solution we are both happy with.

@heneganj

There are 34 visable forums at the start, in order to bring this down to 5 or ten eather everything would need to be brought up a level with only one item on the first and second levels bringing it down to 6 or the layout would have to be complelty redisigned.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:17:22 PM by alan2here » Logged
stijnw
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 11:29:59 PM »

> @Nahee_Enterprises
>
> Bear in mind that what we can do with fractals is driven by what software lets us do, we can always have a forum for people who
> like to write there own sofware too, and use the fractals as math forum (dosn't have to be called that) for genral discution of
> particular fractals in a way unrealated to software.

Good idea! Personally I would like to see a section for fractal programming too. I know there is a mailinglist "fractal-programmers", but I noticed that a lot of spam appeared on the list lately  sad

Friendly regards,
Stijn Wolters.
matera
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 03:09:14 AM »

I second all that. I haven't had time to do any deep thinking on the subject, I'm knee-deep in a fresh website project and I have to forego other obsessions.

I wouldn't want to cut all of the unused boards yet - there are a few I want to post in! I just haven't had the time to get the thoughts together.
stijnw
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »

I second all that. I haven't had time to do any deep thinking on the subject, I'm knee-deep in a fresh website project and I have to forego other obsessions.

Yes, I know the problem  :-[ Anyway, I'm not sure how the forums should be organized, but I would really like to see some on the topics of fractal-programming and fractal-music.

Maybe the 'Buddhabrot' can be added to the list of the Mandelbrot-, Julia- and Julius Ruis set, in the 'Classic fractals'-forum.

Friendly regards,
Stijn Wolters.
heneganj
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 11:06:59 AM »

Welcome to Fractal Forums
_Fractal Community
__Meet & Greet
__Discuss Fractal Forums
___Fractal Forums News MOVED
___Moderate Fractal Forums (Join us)
__Polls DELETE
_Fractal News across the world
_Non-Fractal related topics
_FAQ & Rules CHANGED Other [FAQ, List of fractal artists and there websites, link to Deviantart's fractal section, etc...]
_Fractal Links
__Member submitted links
__Commercial Corner

Fractal Art Totally restructured
_Best of the Board - Moderator run links to the highest rated submissions on the site
_Apophysis
__Image Showcase (users post images here)
__Help, Support & Discussion
_UltraFractal
_Fractinit
_Others
__XenoDream
__ElectricSheep
__Chaoscope
__Chaospro
__Fractal eXtreme
__Others

Fractal Movies Restructured
_Movie showcase

Fractal Math; Theory & Research
_Fractal Math Opinion sought on this section - what are the topic headings? also needs better title
__Mandelbrot/Julia Type
___Mandelbrot
____Julia
___Newton
___Nova
___Bansley's
___Phoenix
___Magnet
___Lambda
__IFS
___Flame
__Strange Attractors
___2d
___3d
__Lindenmayer
__Sierpinski triangle
__Natralistic Fractals
___Landscapes
__Fractal Sounds
___Waveforms
___Midi
___Other
__Statistics, Measurements and Trends
__Chaos Theroy
___Bifurcation Theory
___Complex Analysis
_Practical Applications of Fractal Theory
__Fluid Dynamics & Turbulence needs better title
__Markets & Behaviour Prediction needs better title?
_Brand New Theories & Research

Let me know what you think because I am going to run a member 'recruitment' drive and want this forum structure in place before I run it.  As forum usage tends to be lower at the weekend how about I set the weekend as a deadline?

What strikes me is this (and of course correct me if I'm wrong) - the major points for interests in fractals for people are either going to be 1) art or 2) math/theory, that's it.  Any more? Our dear friend Jules is crying out for more theory; math and research, and many users here are chomping at the bit to post images. I want to please everybody!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:21:43 PM by heneganj » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 06:58:50 PM »

Jason Henegan wrote:
>
>    ....the major points for interests in fractals for people are
>    either going to be 1) art or 2) math/theory, that's it.

That could be because of the theory of brain laterilization, where each of these main topic areas are handled differently based upon the individuals capabilities.  Most people are predominantly either left-brained or right-brained, meaning they have tendencies towards one way or the other, and rarely both at the same time.

>
>    I want to please everybody!

You know that can not be accomplished, don't you??    wink    All you can do is satify those that are the "squeakiest wheels", those that verbally (written or otherwise) influence your decision the most one way or the other.

This is why I would rather NOT see any specific categories or sub-categories when it comes to actual fractal applications.  This is the reason that there are so many current fractal Groups and Discussion Lists on the Internet right now.  There always ends up being a big argument, and then a portion of those people go off and start their own "forum" just so they do not have to deal with the ones that argue against them.

Even though a few software applications are more favored than others, it still promotes those (whether they are worth using or not) over the ones that are not listed as a category.  And doing so seems to be an unfair practice in my opinion.  But then again, I have used several hundred fractal generators, and can see benefit in many of them over others, which is why I never say anything about a program being the "best".

heneganj
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »

Great comments.

How would you like to see (on the Fractal Art front):

Fractal Art
_Best of the Board - Moderator run links to the highest rated submissions on the site
_Image Showcase (Rate my fractal)
_Help Support & Discussion

.. that's it.. 

The discussion would then turn to the Fractal Math section.. Would it be worth just:

Fractal Math; Theory & Research
_General Discussion
_Practical Applications of Fractal Theory
__Fluid Dynamics & Turbulence needs better title
__Markets & Behaviour Prediction needs better title?
_Brand New Theories & Research

I ask because if you show a number of fractal types - some will be more popular than others and (as you say) there might be merit in some lesser known/used fractals than others.

I picked the software titles I did because I felt they were the most popular - I make no comment on their quality but it has to be said there must be some inherent quality in something that's popular..  I can promote sub forums that become popular and demote stagnant forums too - it will evolve naturally.
matera
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 04:08:58 AM »

My latest offering:

_ Fractal Community
_ _ FAQ & Rules
_ _ Meet & Greet
_ _ Fractal Links
_ _ _ Member submitted links
_ _ _ Commercial Corner
_ _ Discuss Fractal Forums
   | _ Moderate Fractal Forums (Join us) - this could be just a sticky topic
_ _ _ Fractal Forums News
_  _Non-Fractal related topics

Fractal Art
_Image Showcase (users post images here)
   | _Best of the Board - Moderator run links to the highest rated submissions on the site (sticky topic)
_ Discussion - Is it art?
_ Fractal Movies
_Fractal music
_Image format and printing

Software
_ Help & Support
_Discussion
_Programming

Fractal Math, Theory & Research
_ Fractal Math
_ _ Mandelbrot/Julia Type
_ _Newton
_ _Nova
_ _ Barnsley
_ _ Phoenix
_ _Magnet
_ _ Lambda
_ _ IFS
_ _ Flame
_ _ Strange Attractors
_ _ Lindenmayer
_ _ Sierpinski
_ _Unusual and new types
(too many?)

_ Statistics, Measurements and Trends

_ Chaos Theroy
_ _ _ Bifurcation Theory
_ _ _ Complex Analysis

_ Practical Applications of Fractal Theory
_ _ Fluid Dynamics & Turbulence
_ _ Markets & Behaviour Prediction

_ New Theories & Research
_ Fractal News across the world

gee, I feel almost useful wink

I think that if very many topics are started  on a particular subject it rates a separtate forum, but too many to start out...foo
stijnw
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 11:39:47 AM »

My latest offering:
[...]
I think that if very many topics are started  on a particular subject it rates a separtate forum, but too many to start out...foo

I like this structure! It's clear and a relatively short list.

Friendly regards,
Stijn Wolters.
stijnw
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »

My latest offering:
[...]
Software
_ Help & Support
_Discussion
_Programming

I think 'Announcements' would be nice in this category,

Yes, it's best to start with a short list (which I think this one is) and add other forums along the way...

Friendly regards,
Stijn Wolters.
rloldershaw
Navigator

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »

Hi,

Unless I am missing something, I see no forum specifically devoted to the discussion of fractals in nature.  This is very curious.  Even if fractal forums is 99% devoted to art, i.e., to manmade fractals, I still think we should maintain some interest in, and connection to,  natural fractals.  Otherwise, it seems to me that we are ignoring one of the most important applications of fractal modelling: more comprehensive and more accurate descriptions of nature.

Rob
heneganj
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »

_ Fractal Community
_ _ FAQ & Rules
_ _ Meet & Greet
_ _ Fractal Links
_ _ _ Member submitted links
_ _ _ Commercial Corner
_ _ Discuss Fractal Forums
   | _ Moderate Fractal Forums (Join us) - this is just a sticky topic
_ _ _ Fractal Forums News
_  _Non-Fractal related topics

Fractal Art
_Image Showcase (users post images here)
   | _Best of the Board - Moderator run links to the highest rated submissions on the site (sticky topic)
_ Discussion - Is it art?
_ Fractal Movies
_Fractal music
_Image format and printing

Software
_ Help & Support
_Discussion
_Programming
_Announcements & News

Fractal Math, Chaos Theory & Research                                 too many sections here! help!
_ New Theories & Research
_ Fractal Math
_ _ Mandelbrot/Julia Type
_ _Newton
_ _Nova
_ _ Barnsley
_ _ Phoenix
_ _Magnet
_ _ Lambda
_ _ IFS
_ _ Flame
_ _ Strange Attractors
_ _ Lindenmayer
_ _ Sierpinski
_ _Unusual and new types
(too many?)                                              yes too many let's reduce it
_ Statistics, Measurements and Trends             huh? what would this show?

Real World Examples & Practical Applications of Fractal Theory
_ Fluid Dynamics & Turbulence
_ Markets & Behaviour Prediction
_ Observations in Nature
_ Fractal News across the world

Let me know what you think of this structure above I have tried to include comments from recent posts.  I like the idea of art, theory and practical/real world all in different sections - this seems intuitive to me.

Rob I have placed Nature in the Real World section but since nature is naturally occuring ( wink ) then nature based topics could go anywhere at all in this section - it would be a very broad topic which I think is what you're getting at.

Mat I have added announcements/news to Software.  Whilst I think posting volumes would be low for this topic, it is very important.  But let me ask you a question - couldn't we just post software news to the more broader Fractal News? (just playing devil's advocate)

I like the sticky topics ideas, they cut down the number of topics nicely.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:21 PM »

Defining the various categories should be like setting up an Outline to be used for a dissertation, manuscript, or treatise.

As long as there are no more than five or six major topic categories (and it might be pruned down to three or four), then that is something that is easily handled and navigable.  These would be static for the life of the forum, and would not need to be modified or added to.  They are the very broad/general terms concerning fractal related information.

Establishing what goes where for the second level of sub-categories is still based upon a very generalized set of terms under their respective major topics.  Nothing detailed and specific either at this level, unless there was no need for a third level beneath it.

Everything after the first two levels (whether thrid, fourth, fifth, or more) would be added as required, based upon the amount of postings and need for further breakdown.  Starting off with the bare necessities of pre-defined categories should be all that this forum needs.  The fewer the better as a starting point is how I would approach it.

As long as the task of breaking apart large numbers of postings into smaller categories can be accomplished easily, then there should not be a great need for many sub-categories.  And since I have never used this SMF system in an Administrative role, I can not say which way is the easiest to maintain.

But I can see that we have several sub-categories that are basically getting no response at all (traffic does not really count, since that is only those browsing).  The replies and initial posts should be the determining factor on how well a sub-category is doing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:33:14 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

alan2here
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 12:56:29 AM »

I like heneganj's "Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 10:06:59 am" one.
Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 02:00:23 AM »

My advice is to take some time before restructing the Fractal Forums.

It is absolutely not clear what kind of content is real wanted by the users.

At this moment it looks like that only art-users are dominant; that should be a pity if continues.

With kind regards,
Jules Ruis.

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: