Logo by Tglad - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 02:35:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Insecurity during Forum Registration  (Read 780 times)
joeytwiddle
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:58:35 AM »

When I registered a new forum account, the forum sent me an email which contained my password in PLAINTEXT!

I don't think it should do that!

The message was:

Your registration request at Welcome to Fractal Forums has been received, joeytwiddle.

The username you registered with was joeytwiddle and the password was XXXXXXXXX.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:37:25 AM »

When I registered a new forum account, the forum sent me an email which contained my password in PLAINTEXT!

I don't think it should do that!

The message was:

Your registration request at Welcome to Fractal Forums has been received, joeytwiddle.

The username you registered with was joeytwiddle and the password was XXXXXXXXX.

As far as I know, that part of the forum is automated and cannot be adjusted.

It's no real security lapse at all though.  You can, and should if concerned, change the password immediately after activating the account.  The email is then worthless.

Sorry it bothered you, but I think there's no way to change that.

Christian  (our Fearless Leader)  may know for sure though   police

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Xazo-Tak
Navigator

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »

Do you have someone watching over your shoulder as you do emails? Is someone actually interested in stealing a brand new (and so not very valuable) forums account? I don't think so.

I lost the game!
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:24:10 AM »

Do you have someone watching over your shoulder as you do emails? Is someone actually interested in stealing a brand new (and so not very valuable) forums account? I don't think so.

The issue is that email can be scanned easily by any third party that it is passing through (various ISPs). It's essentially like sending a postcard.  And a lot of people re-use their passwords a lot, which makes it even more dangerous when such passwords get compromised.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:03:53 AM »

....it has been since ever since, and it stays there, i was thinkin about it, but, i came to the result that convenience superiors security cheesy
and when you let it send to you it is also send in clear text, e.g. for password retrieval

though i think smf2.x forums uses a better pw management system... but dunno about that...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: