Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 04:51:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: True 3D mandelbrot type fractal  (Read 601553 times)
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #285 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »

for the rendering i've got all sorts of effects going on inside my program (so that it works at very high precision); things like contrast adjustments, blurring and sharpening...

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #286 on: October 08, 2009, 02:47:53 AM »

Like the anim! (still want a zoom in tho). Interesting image too - didn't realise there were big gaping holes in the object as shown. Curious...

I did mention in the DA comments (in reply to Lycium) that I cut the fractal to a plane to create the crater lake. I'll just add something to the main comments just to be sure no-one gets too coinfused wink

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
stigomaster
« Reply #287 on: October 08, 2009, 04:49:06 PM »

Perhaps he was pointing to the gaps beneath the bridges?
Golden Gate, go home.
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #288 on: October 08, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »

Stigomaster's right... I meant the gaps below the bridges in David's latest pic.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #289 on: October 09, 2009, 05:08:07 AM »

Stigomaster's right... I meant the gaps below the bridges in David's latest pic.

Oh - I'm going to do some more examination of the degree 4 to see if that has anything similar smiley

JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #290 on: October 09, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

I just joined. Hello all.
A few weeks ago, Dave Makin helped me get going on 3D fractals.
I'm using his Distance Estimate method based on smooth iteration count.
I must say it works quite well, although I'm not really sure why! I'm trying to get my hands around the underlying math, as I think it would make a good subject for an article in the appropriate place.

Well, thanks to Dave's pseudocode, here is something that I thought turned out quite well, although it has nothing to do with the quest for the elusive 3D Mandelbrot..
bugman
Conqueror

« Reply #291 on: October 09, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »

Hi Jos! Glad to have you join us!  grin
This discussion seems to be attracting quite a few talented individuals.

If I may ask, what is this image you have created? Is it a slice of a Julibrot?
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #292 on: October 09, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »

Well, I guess so. I've seen so many things called a Julibrot that I'm not sure anymore.
The z direction (perpendicular to the screen) is c=variable+i.constant), and then the formula is z^2+c (Julia), so in actual fact I'm stacking up all the possible Julia's with seed=variable+i.constant. For the image it is c= var*i.0.1, and var starts at -0.76.
bugman
Conqueror

« Reply #293 on: October 09, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »

Well, I guess so. I've seen so many things called a Julibrot that I'm not sure anymore.
The z direction (perpendicular to the screen) is c=variable+i.constant), and then the formula is z^2+c (Julia), so in actual fact I'm stacking up all the possible Julia's with seed=variable+i.constant. For the image it is c= var*i.0.1, and var starts at -0.76.

That's very nice. I like the embossed detail in the slice. I'm defining the "Julibrot" as the set of all Julia sets (which happens to include the Mandelbrot set). I made a Julibrot animation here:
http://bugman123.com/Hypercomplex/Julibrot.m1v

It is a 3D "slice" of the 4D Julibrot starting from y0=0, and then rotating to x0=0, then rotating to xc=0, then rotating to yc=0, and finally rotating back to y0=0 again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:00:06 PM by bugman » Logged
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #294 on: October 10, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »

I just checked to see that the render was indeed accurate - in the original the default DE divisor parameter to get the step distances was 5 and the initial maximum distances to step was set to 0.1 - to check that it was accurate I first tried changing the maximum step distance allowed to 0.01 and this basically produced the same image (but around 4*slower), I then reset the maximum step distance allowed to 0.1 and changed the DE divisor to 10 (i.e. making all the step distances half the original values) and again this produced the same image (this time about 1.8* slower).
So I guess there are gaps under the bridges in places wink

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #295 on: October 10, 2009, 02:01:06 AM »

I just joined. Hello all.
A few weeks ago, Dave Makin helped me get going on 3D fractals.
I'm using his Distance Estimate method based on smooth iteration count.
I must say it works quite well, although I'm not really sure why! I'm trying to get my hands around the underlying math, as I think it would make a good subject for an article in the appropriate place.

Well, thanks to Dave's pseudocode, here is something that I thought turned out quite well, although it has nothing to do with the quest for the elusive 3D Mandelbrot..
<Quoted Image Removed>

Very nice image - I also like your embossing !

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #296 on: October 10, 2009, 03:07:35 AM »

hey cool it's jos leys! welcome to the forums smiley

xenodreambuie
Conqueror

« Reply #297 on: October 10, 2009, 03:53:28 AM »

There are lots of impressive renders in this thread.

Since I've been experimenting with MIIM (modified inverse iteration method) lately, I tried Paul's formulas for the roots of the quadratic triplex, to get the benefit of the extra detail. It didn't add much worthwhile. On the whole, I was disappointed with the various forms of the quadratic, and the higher powers look far more interesting.

* Triplex-MIIM.jpg (137.06 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1034 times.)

Regards, Garth
http://xenodream.com
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #298 on: October 10, 2009, 03:58:41 AM »

very cool render garth!

xenodreambuie
Conqueror

« Reply #299 on: October 10, 2009, 05:41:16 AM »

Thanks Lycium! It does have the benefit of soft shadows.

Something I noticed with the quadratic version was that making the third constant nonzero tended to introduce a planar discontinuity in the middle. It could have been due to steps I was taking to avoid invalid roots. Otherwise I guess it's just a result of using spherical coordinates and the z axis being polar. Has anyone found the third constant to give useful variation? (One advantage of inverse iteration is interactive previewing.)

I already deleted my code for the inverse triplex, and I'm not planning to revisit it unless I can do something with the trigonometric version instead. I just looked at the formula Dave provided, and noticed that phi=atan((z/sqrt(x²+y²)). It should be cheaper to use phi=asin(z/r).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:14:17 AM by xenodreambuie, Reason: asin, not acos; I use one or other depending on my purpose » Logged

Regards, Garth
http://xenodream.com
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: