Logo by kr0mat1k - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Polynomial Question  (Read 4185 times)
alister
« on: August 16, 2007, 01:15:56 AM »

In writing a class library for some of the common classes I use in my fractal programs something occurred to me.

This is the polynomial I would like to discuss. I hope my notation is correct. I would hate to make a fool of my self again today.

I was writing the code for a cubic Mandelbrot and discovered that I can derive a standard Mandelbrot, a Julia, a cubic Mandelbrot, and many other variations of these classic fractals by simply using different variables for i, C, a0, a1, a2 etc.

For example:
Mandelbrot i=2, a2 = 1, a1 = 1, a0 = 0, C=0
Julia i=2, a2 = 1, a1 =0, a0=0, C= -1+0i
Cubic Mandelbrot i=3 a3=1, a2 = 0, a1 = 1, a0 = 0, C=0

Im sure you all get the idea.
Ive found a lot of interesting variations using different values as well.

I do have one question I was hoping someone could answer.
Is there a name for this general expression?
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 04:55:16 AM »

minor thing: considering z^0 == 1, a_0 would be what you currently have as C. in other words, the following suffices to represent the whole series:

the expression on the rhs is just a (general) polynomial, so i guess the whole thing is just a polynomial equation.

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:33:47 AM »

while thinking about that expression it occurred to me that the a_k needn't be real; the formulation of the equation reminds one of a fourier series, so why not replace it with one and see what happens when it's iterated?

in this expression, several harmonics are summed together to form the complex w_k; the harmonic frequencies are given by f_h, which should be made to have some common factor (otherwise they won't be harmonics!).

now i haven't tried this so i can't guarantee that it'll produce nice results, but it seems like a viable avenue of exploration:

how many harmonics to use?
which frequencies to use?
should they have a common multiple, or should the frequencies be primes?
should the f_h == 0  case be included? it will need a normalisation factor of 1/mn to produce z_n+1 = z_n.
how many terms to use? what happens with more vs fewer terms?
etc...

alister
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:39:44 AM »

minor thing: considering z^0 == 1, a_0 would be what you currently have as C. in other words, the following suffices to represent the whole series:
<Quoted Image Removed>

the expression on the rhs is just a (general) polynomial, so i guess the whole thing is just a polynomial equation.
I did wonder what to do with the Z^0 since it is always 1. I thought that perhaps starting the series at i=1 would be a good idea.

As for C, I have tryed using complex numbers with good results.

Thank you for the feedback!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »

eek, the alphablending doesn't seem to be working :| anyway, i didn't mean just making C complex, i meant all the a-coefficients; moreover, C is completely unnecessary, a_0 gives the constant value (independent of z).

once i've worked on my gui a bit more i'll investigate the harmonic series i posted.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: