Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 01:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3d navi  (Read 2032 times)
Description: Getting 3d navi to work
haltenny
Safarist

« on: May 04, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »

This may be common knowledge to advanced users so it's intended to help more the beginner. For a long while I didn't use the 3d navi because I had so much trouble with it. It was the normal stuff like it not showing the same thing that is in the main window, and an inability to navigate in general. I understood that you could check the 'fixed zoom and steps' box but that gives unsatisfactory results. In my case, the problem was usually caused because I was inside a part of the structure I was exploring. If I navigated there in the main window and then went to the 3d navi I couldn't go anywhere because I was somehow inside a piece of the structure or bumping up against something.

This inability to navigate also may crop up when loading old parameters in newer versions. The solution I found is to simply turn on cutting. Find out which plane you are looking at. For instance I was working from some old parameters and the 3d navi showed nothing remotely like what the main window showed. By turning on each cutting plane individually and adjusting the value, I determined I was looking at the x plane. I then kept tweaking the cut value up and down until I found out where I was on that plane. In this case I was cutting at -0.15 on the x plane. A setting of -0.14 cut into my piece more whereas a setting of -0.16 had no effect. (Negative numbers cut less, positive numbers cut more) Once I determined where the piece was cut at, I reloaded the piece into the 3d navi, it appeared exactly the same in the 3d navi and main window, and I was able to navigate with no problem.

I am assuming that even though I originally didn't have cutting turned on, the piece was being cut due to zmid values. Hope this helps someone. I can't tell you how many times I abandoned the 3d navi because of this...

Edit: Above I should have said, "I am assuming that even though I originally didn't have cutting turned on, the piece was being cut due to one of the z values, start, mid or end, I'm not sure which..."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:17:30 PM by haltenny » Logged
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »

I didn't have before too much trouble as you mentioned, but I'm forced now to use "fixed zoom and steps" mode with the Jesse implementation of the Kaliset/Kaliducks formula, and when this mode is on, a set of arrows shows up to adjust the zoom, so you walk until the cutting begins, move a little backwards, and then get closer using that without causing cuts in the fractal wink

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: