Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Using color maps from Windows Fractint  (Read 7449 times)
wmauzey
Alien

« on: April 28, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »

I am not a programmer, but noticed the color maps for both Chaoscope and Fractint had the same file extension. So I move the windows fractint version color  maps (26 types) into the folder that holds the file listed as black and the other chaoscope folders of colors. They all work when selected to open, the random selection seems to be a little brighter, but could be just a figment of my imagination. A side effect of using the Fractint maps were  MOIRE patterns that showed up in a few of them, very interesting. Have not tried using the palette editor from Fractint yet, still learning how to see how the maps have been written, looking at pattern behavior in the maps for both programs. Hope this first entry in fractal forums gives a few folks an interesting subject to look at, thank you!

wmauzey

tomot
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »

I"m curious, what version of windows are you able to get Windows Fractint able to run on ?  A Beer Cup
wmauzey
Alien

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »

I am using Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. The version of Fractint for Windows is 17.50 , Could NOT run the newest Version of Windows Fractint 20.**. Also had to try downloading from various sites B4 finding one that would not crash/run. I cannot remember where I got it finally from but only can point anyone towards "the Waite Group' or "Tim Wegner' or "Stone Soup", with the word Fractint when doing a search for the windows version. If you want the instructions for the whole program which has everything the DOS Fractint version 15.11 (1991) has, try to get the book "The Waite Group's FRACTAL CREATIONS, Timothy Wegner & Mark Peterson. The only thing that I have found out the Windows version does not have is the Color-cycling. The book is over 300 pages.
 Again, I downloaded maybe a total of ~20 times before finding the program that ran, well worth the trouble. My version I used up till Feb,2011 was the one mentioned above that came with book. But lost all with Hard drive that bit the dust. I use the DOS Fractint 20.** with a Windows ME computer now. Cannot get it to run on any of the newer versions of Windows DOS. But compared to the Windows 95 computer it really generates fast.
 Hope the above helps a little, ...... sure got carried away being gabby and all!

tomot
Iterator

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »

I have that book and the 5 1/4" floppy disk it came with. Too bad the new version does not run under Windows 7.
However I still have an old removable 40gb HDD, containing XP sp3 I will give it a try. Thanks for the info. A Beer Cup
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »

....noticed the color maps for both Chaoscope and Fractint had the same file extension.

If you want more .MAP files than you can handle, go to this web page and look for the "Collection of .MAP files".
    http://www.Nahee.com/Fractals/FractInt/index.html

Have not tried using the palette editor from Fractint yet, still learning how to see how the maps have been written....

You may also wish to try this .MAP file editor:
    http://www.Nahee.com/Software/+FIntMap/

Ryan D
Alien

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »

This has been posted elsewhere in this forum, but if you don't know that it's there you will probably never find it.  So, here we go again.  There is a private (read: "unofficial") Windows port of the DOS version of Fractint that is 98% functional on current Windows systems.  There are some things that are buggy, like the View window (no problem, just define your own screen sizes with the various F2-F9, SF2-SF9, CF2-CF9 keys), and some things that never work (like turning off the beep at the end of calculation).  But it's far superior to running the DOS version inside a DOS emulator like DOSBox.  The fact that it works so well on my Windows 7 64-bit computer is the big reason why I still use Fractint for all my playing around!

http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com/2007/04/13/fractint-for-windows-beta-5/

Ryan
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:11:36 PM »

Can someone advise? I have learned to use one of those map generators for Chaoscope but I'm not really sure where to put my .MAP files. Should I make a new subfolder in chaoscope, or just where should they go? Never did this before, but I can see where map generating could become addictive...!  crazy eyes joy - thanks - crystal

I conceived and developed a new geometry of nature and implemented its use in a number of diverse fields. It describes many of the irregular and fragmented patterns around us, and leads to full-fledged theories, by identifying a family of shapes I call fractals.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »

Can someone advise? I have learned to use one of those map generators for Chaoscope but I'm not really sure where
    to put my .MAP files.  Should I make a new subfolder in chaoscope, or just where should they go?  Never did this before,
    but I can see where map generating could become addictive...!  crazy eyes joy - thanks - crystal

I usually create a separate folder for each different file type being used by a fractal rendering application (they are located under the main application's folder).  Once you have the folders created, then open Chaoscope and use the menu selection of FILE => OPTIONS... to bring up a popup dialog window.  Select the FOLDERS category and then you can specify where the different files types may be located.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

Can someone advise? I have learned to use one of those map generators for Chaoscope but I'm not really sure where to put my .MAP files. Should I make a new subfolder in chaoscope, or just where should they go? Never did this before, but I can see where map generating could become addictive...!  crazy eyes joy - thanks - crystal

Actually, you can put the files anywhere and just double click the desired gradient  (Speed or Angle) then browse to your maps folder.

After doing this once, it will go that folder every time you go to change gradients for the remainder of that session.

As Paul said, you can change the default location in the Options menu as well   educated

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »

Kewl!! Many thanks, Paul and Sock!!!  cheesy

I conceived and developed a new geometry of nature and implemented its use in a number of diverse fields. It describes many of the irregular and fragmented patterns around us, and leads to full-fledged theories, by identifying a family of shapes I call fractals.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 05:34:02 AM »

Kewl!!  Many thanks, Paul and Sock!!!  cheesy

You are more than welcome!!    embarrass

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: