Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 12:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Are you a real programmer ?  (Read 4091 times)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:24:43 PM »

The premise here is that only real programmers spend more on a single computer than on a single car.

So what's your programming strength i.e. cost of latest computer/cost of latest car ?

Mine's currently 4.5

*but* when I got my first windows PC (a bl**dy awful AJP import) which was a W95A P66 laptop with all accesories including docking station and extra hard drive, external keyboard, mouse etc. it cost a cool £3000 and the car I had then was about £500 so that gives.....

My highest:  6

To be honest if I could afford it then the ratio would be astronomical since I don't believe anything for simply travelling from a to b overland is worth more than £1000 in today's money but I'd happily spend trillions on computer power if I had the money wink

Edit: Of course given rediculously large funds I'd actually spend it on setting up the ultimate software research and development studios smiley

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:21:39 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:58 AM »

You do not have to be a programmer to have ratios like that... wink

panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

I refute your premise. Real programmers program arduino's and build robot armies.  wink
The story of the original "Real Programmer" (the story of Mel) can be found here http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/mel.html
To answer your question my real programmer ratio is .27
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »

What price do I plug into the formula if I never owned car? Using my most expensive bicycle as a reference, and the most expensive computer purchase (including accessories and a display device), I end up somewhere near 12.5 ...
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »

What price do I plug into the formula if I never owned car?
0? places your ratio at positive infinity.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »

What price do I plug into the formula if I never owned car?
0? places your ratio at positive infinity.

Or Undefined.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
matrixfighter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »

What about those, who have computer - still no car... Then I am bloody good programmer my programming strength tends ot inifnity.

P.S. Hope, not negative  sad
A Noniem
Alien

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »

What about those, who have computer - still no car... Then I am bloody good programmer my programming strength tends ot inifnity.

P.S. Hope, not negative  sad

Divide by zero exceptions. Exceptions are hardly ever a good thing when programming (generally means your application crashes if you leave it unattended and in this particular case it is not defined), so I'd buy a car if I were you.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:56:35 AM »

I guess we could simply adapt the original formula and use (1+cost of computer)/(1+cost of car) which is the usual type of trick used in many colouring algorithms - and of course gives 1 if you have neither computer nor car wink
My last car got written off after a blowout causing collapsed suspension (driver's side front) so I had to get a new (old) car, cost £550, so my ratio using the new method is now:

4501/551 = 8.17

Although admittedly that's ignoring any minor repairs necessary on the new car (e.g. am waiting for new fuel gauge as it currently just registers as empty).

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Xazo-Tak
Navigator

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »

Hmm, what about computer prices varying? Custom built computers are quite cheap to make and give a lot of power. Btw, do you think it would be safe to overclock my CPU if I have an overpowered cooling system? (Computer temperature is never higher than "cold metal")

I lost the game!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: