Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:38:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Not the deepest but maybe the prettiest Mandelbrot Zoom  (Read 3820 times)
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« on: April 26, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p_Ay0mlw0Ec&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/p_Ay0mlw0Ec&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Fractal Extremers may want to download the Fractal Extreme Movie file (.fxz).
http://www.mediafire.com/?9dk14jg3zt1g6fx

You may spot the 'Disco UFO' at 1:39 and 2:32.

The palette in the video is slightly faster
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:17:38 AM by panzerboy » Logged
gussetCrimp
Explorer

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »

I'll agree - the coloring is gorgeous!  I don't know how Fractal Extreme works - you said (on the youtube page) you took a palette of 8 colors and dropped them into Fractal Extreme, offset by 16 places. Could you explain how that works - how many colors does Fractal Extreme end up using? Do you have control over what order they appear in? And I guess the palette rolls over once it gets to the end, but the color bands then recur in the same order? And do you know how wide the iteration bands are? (I mean, if the function has to be iterated between x and y number of times before it escapes in order to be the same color, how far apart are x and y - I know it changes as the number of iterations increases, but how?)

Thanks for the vid.

Gus
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:39:36 AM »

Fractal Extreme has two 228 colour palettes. The 2nd palette is only shown if the 'show stripes' option is used, every even index from the 1st every odd from the 2nd, so still just 228 possible colour indexes. If antialiasing is enabled Fractal Extreme will interpolate a colour between these palette indexes assuming colour mapping speed or acceleration are greater than 1 (ie spreading a colour across multiple iteration bands). In this palette I've used all 228, roughly covering the colour cube then sorted the various colours into a blue, cyan, green, white, magenta, red, yellow and black sequence. This is all done in a spreadsheet, which allows me to simply offset the stripe palette by 16 places. If you do the math 228/8 gives 28.5 palette index per colour so a 16 offset blends the colours nicely. The sorting is done on high bit so any colour with all three RGB values less than 128 I call black, Red greater than 127 but green and blue less than 128 I call red and so on. I then sort by the next highest bit so a Red value less than 192 is sorted within the 28 or so red values as black, theres a different sort sequence for each main seqence colour so that BLUEcyan get sorted next to CYANblue. Theres still 2 or three colours within this 'next highest bit' sequence so the 3rd most significant bit get sorted in a similar fashion.
Please don't get the idea that Fractal Extreme has some sort of import from spreadsheet option, this is a program that I wrote after analyzing the fractal extreme palette file with a hex editor.
Fractal Extreme has a very good palette editor, and I've just figured out how you can do similar without having to resort to spreadsheets.
First take a palette

Then offset by 16 places by clicking the slider then hitting cursor left 16 times.

Now right click and select all from each of the Red Green and Blue Windows, you'll need to hold shift for the 2nd & 2rd select all. Edit-> copy and you now have the offset pallette in the paste buffer.

Load a 2nd palette or in this case the same palette to remove the offset.
Make sure Colour-> show stripes is enabled and Colour->edit odd.

Edit->paste and now you've duplicated and offset the palette.

A few further things about Fractal Extreme's palette editor, it is completely resizable, I just used the minimum size for these attachments. You can bound box a series of palette index points or shift select a group of individual points. Then you can drag all the selected points as one, say reducing the level to create as subtle or brutal stripe as you like or offsetting ( a more sparse palette than my completely filled ones) to create colour striping effects.

* bcgwmrwk.jpg (28.41 KB, 376x359 - viewed 1538 times.)

* bcgwmrwk-16sel.jpg (26.7 KB, 376x357 - viewed 1485 times.)

* bcgwmrwkSSES.jpg (20.51 KB, 375x358 - viewed 2210 times.)

* bcgwmrwkPstd.jpg (21.92 KB, 375x358 - viewed 1519 times.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:05:09 AM by panzerboy » Logged
DOMEHEAD
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »

As well as fractals going down and down forever, the same seems to true of both the depth and breadth of the skills of fractal artists, not to mention creative and artistic depth - brilliant.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: